Friday, July 26, 2019

Jack Red reviews Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 & 2 Part 1 (the Compilations)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, It took me months to fully play through these Mega Man games. I didn't have any Mega Man games growing up. I knew about the franchise for years to finally decided to give it a try. I got to say I got a lot of positives with not as many negatives for both these compilations.

1. Mega Man Legacy Collection (Mega Man 1-6) (2015)
Capcom surprised a lot of fans by releasing Mega Man Legacy Collection on many platforms. I so happen to own both of them on Steam & Xbox One. This covers the first six Mega Man games. All six of these games were originally released on NES. Believe it or not, we almost didn't get Mega Man 6.

What happened was Capcom chose to move all of their attention to then newer consoles. Nintendo decided to publish Mega Man 6 themselves to release it. In other words, Capcom chose to cancel it's US release but Nintendo ended up releasing it anyway. They felt the fans deserves to play it. Now I am only going to talk directly about the compilations in this part.

You get some options to spice up the game play including save state. Now there's a lot of interesting challenges you can play to push yourself. The craziest challenge has all the robot masters in one long endurance. I will give them credit they done more than The Disney Afternoon Collection. All six of these Mega Man games plays perfectly.

You also get an auto fire button that's present in all six games to help you out. If you want it to represent more of the original hardware you could enable Legacy Mode. There's also a huge picture section for all six games. I am not an expert on Mega Man soundtracks but I do believe majority of those songs are present here.

2. Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 (Mega Man 7-10) (2017)
A few years later, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 gets released. This compilation covers Mega Man 7-10. Keep in mind, the following year Mega Man 11 came out. Eventually I'll get that one, now this is the more mixed collection. I am going to flat out say the later games are more enjoyable to me. It does improve a few areas over the previous Mega Man compilation.

I may not got to play the other Mega Man compilations prior to these. But I knew someone who told me a lot about em. There is no hidden bonus Mega Man game in both compilations. There is a few surprises if you know what to do. Now unlike the previous compilation, you can only do the checkpoint saving.

Obviously the controls do differ more in these games too. The emulation is mostly right on point too. Mega Man 8 can be difficult to emulate good enough to play. I seen this one YouTuber who at the time had to use an emulator to play it, eventually he got himself a copy of it. I am just impressed this represents three consoles from SNES to PlayStation 1 to finally Xbox 360.

I am not trying to upset anyone but to me the artwork looks better in this compilation. I do prefer the cover as well as some of the screen option pictures more. I felt this is more what I look for in a game compilation. Honestly both of these are worth checking out. In terms on what both delivers, I'm very satisfy with what I got truthfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment