Thursday, July 11, 2019

Jack Red reviews Scream series including the show and Scary Movie

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I'm a huge fan of both Ghostface & Scream franchise since a young age. Considering season 3 of Scream show ended last night. I figured why the hell not, I'm going to review it all right here. Honestly I couldn't be any happier how this year treated the character Ghostface.

I also want to review the original Scary Movie since it's a parody of Scream series as well as I Know What You Did Last Summer. Interesting enough, Sarah Michelle Gellar was in both franchises. I want to get it all out. I bet some of you are surprised I liked Ghostface this much right? He always been one of my favorite slashers among Freddy and Chucky respectively.

I already reviewed all four Scream movies, I will be posting a link just in case you wanna see. https://jackred1989.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-final-week-of-halloween-thon-5.html

1. Scary Movie (2000)

For the record most of those movies sucks. The only other one I could recommend is Scary Movie 3. But my favorite always has been the original Scary Movie. It does a great job parodying Scream series making it even more comical than those movies are about horror movies in general. The mask for Ghostface in this movie later got owned by the same company behind the official one.

But they chose to not sold it due to confusion among their consumers. I also think because in the movie, that mask does alter a lot with some mess up facial expressions. Let's be honest that sounds more trouble than they're willing to try releasing it hoping without a serious situation occurring. What's more interesting is Dimension Films also released this movie.

Yes the same company the released all four Scream movies. Now that's rare even among parody movies to have the same company that done the movies it's parodying to release it. In my opinion, this movie holds up better than most parody movies. In my mind, this was another Scream movie to me.

Two actresses later got better roles to not come back in some of the later Scary Movie movies. Mostly Anna Faris whose on the sitcom Mom. This movie doesn't hold back on parodying other horror movies at times like The Blair Witch Project. Which is surprisingly among the author Stephen King's favorite horror movies of all time.

Honestly I grew up watching this movie a lot. It still is one of my favorite parody movies ever. Let's be honest, some of the newer parody movies are just so bad & not in a good way either. At least Scary Movie went in with some great jokes. I'm a huge fan of a few scenes including wazzup lol. Man it brings back a lot of memories just thinking about this movie.

2. Scream show seasons 1-2 (MTV) 2015-2016
There's a reason why I'm doing two different reviews on Scream show. MTV done two seasons with some of the same cast. This played heavily on secrets they hid from each other. Honestly I was surprised how well done the kills are. I do think in both seasons, the story does drag on a little too long.

At the same time, they stayed true for the part to the concept. Keep in mind, they didn't have the copy rights or okay from the costume company to use Ghostface. On both seasons, the killer is called Lakewood Slasher. They had to come up with a different mask that's sorta similar. Let's be honest it can't compete with the classic one.

Although I do like that mask for what it is unlike most Scream fans. You can kinda tell this is an MTV show because how they interact with each other or usage of music in general. I should mention season 2 ended with a Halloween special that was in two parts. Sadly due a lot of likely problems, they chose to drop this story line about Brandon James.

This also means we will never know who the final killer that killed the second killer actually is. You got to hate cliff hangers. Some characters are alright for the most part. Emma is essentially Sidney of those seasons. I felt MTV did the best they could but chose questionable times to air these episodes. Just changing when they came on would've helped a lot.

You do have to be patient about getting up to the killer's reveal. Actually there's an interesting fact about season 1 that not a lot of people know. Everyone including who was going to be the killer didn't know who it was until that point in time during filming. Honestly I loved they attempted that making it even more intense than it needs to be.

Overall this show is much better than I was expecting. The kills are mostly great at times with some alright ones. Lakewood Killer characters do the persona similar enough to Ghostface for me to like it. Believe it or not, Wes Craven was involved to a degree prior to his death on this show. I could recommend it if you want more Scream.

3. Scream show season 3 aka Scream: Resurrection (VH1) 2019
Say hello to the newest entry on this blog. Scream show season 3 aka Scream: Resurrection is a huge improvement in many ways. For starters, it actually doesn't suck unlike Halloween: Resurrection.  This is an original story separated from the first two seasons. They got permission from the costume company to use Ghostface this time.

A major complaint about the first two seasons was no Ghostface. Although Lakewood Slasher is essentially an alternate Ghostface in it's own right so I failed to see the problem. This is also the shortest season to date with six episodes. Yet I felt they did a great job giving us a full story that doesn't over stay it's welcome.

Thankfully there is no unresolved ending or story here. They actually got the voice of Ghostface, Roger L. Jackson to reprise his role. Keep in mind, some horror movie franchises are doing shows. I still say Ash vs Evil Dead hands down is the best one I ever seen without question. But this season of Scream show is for sure up there in my book.

The kills are amazingly well done this time around. I think one of the biggest surprises was Tony Todd appears on this show. One of my absolute favorite moments was his character fighting one of the killers with a hook hand. This is the closest we'll probably get to Ghostface vs. Candyman. I got very excited when that scene started too.

Scream: Resurrection is very true to it's name. It is a reboot that actually does not suck unlike majority of them. I would even go as far to say it's one of the very best in the franchise to date. This comes off like three two hour movies put together for a complete Scream movie worth watching. I am well aware this is currently mixed among it's viewers.

Trust me I understand due to the fact, it got moved on VH1 channel that's also a heavily music channel. Although they are more likely to air movies from time to time there. Another unexpected surprise is the actress Queen Latifah is one of this season's producers. Then again the comedian Chris Rock is doing the same on the upcoming Saw movie so whatever.

Out of all three seasons, I felt the twists was the best done. This might come off as the most predictable as well. I am very happy to say Ghostface was used for very well by two different people. Scream: Resurrection came back after three years with little to no word up til recently as of last month.

Sure it isn't as big of a time gap as Scream 4 from Scream 3. At least they took the time to make sure Scream 4 didn't suck. I actually think Wes Craven is smiling down on how well done this season actually is. I also felt the characters are more easier to relate to this time around. I felt they did an amazing job keeping stay to the movies while being it's own story.

No comments:

Post a Comment