Sunday, April 28, 2019

More in depth Jason vs. Licensed Killers comparison a follow up blog

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I realized I needed to go more into detail on licensed killers in Dead by Daylight. I will go more in details about Freddy, Michael, Leatherface and The Pig in this blog. I felt I already covered enough from Jason's point of view. Also I won't be mentioning Roy Burns aka Part 5 Jason in this blog.

Trust me there's a great reason for that. It depends if Dead by Daylight brings a particular slasher villain to the game. Until then I will do a more direct comparison focusing more on Dead by Daylight side. I felt I didn't really say much about them from a handful of things. So I will make sure to have everything out on the table this time.

1. Freddy Krueger aka The Nightmare

Freddy was directly taken from A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010 film. I do still respect the new actor for trying his best as Freddy. It just wasn't a great movie for many reasons. I still say he is one of the best things about it. Freddy also brings the school in a map. You get to explore around & inside the school during matches.

When Freddy gets close, parts of his song plays. Simply being in the dream world, Freddy must bring survivors to his realm in order to harm or kill them. From the real world, you can barely see an invisible figure. Not many killers has that going for them. Freddy is played & voiced by different people.

At first Freddy can be tricky to get use to. Trust me, you will be bringing them to the dream world a lot. I would say he is a great killer for farming blood points. Freddy does laugh usually when someone close by him goes to the dream world. I do have to be honest they did a great job making Freddy scary in this game.

2. Michael Myers aka The Shape

Michael Myers was directly taken from the original Halloween. He is one of the most op killers in the game. He can stalk people at a distance. As long he's doing that, a meter with his icon starts going up. You won't return to tier 1 no matter what happens. You have to work it up to tier 3. Why because he can now instantly down survivors with one hit.

Oh wait it gets crazier than that. Some hard to find stuff for him allows him to kill people with another mori while moving. Michael is one of the few killers to have more than one mori. Yes he attacks with a butcher knife unlike an axe like Call of Duty: Ghosts done. The way he moves is very accurate to how he was in the movie.

I think my two favorite things about him are his own map & his theme song plays chasing survivors. Yeah imagine one of the most popular slasher movie theme songs plays in a game like this. Sure Michael's hands are a little too big but still looks good. Michael also gets some great stuff making him very difficult to survive against.

Please allow me to explain more in detail. In Friday the 13th: The Game, Jason can easily kill the counselors. But they have more ways to stun or fight back at him. All you really have in Dead by Daylight is dropping pallets or hiding in lockers that's it. Now throw in the possibility of Michael's tier 3 never drops at all.

Yeah people can easily own even faster with Michael during matches with a great set up. The fact he stalks can make it easier for the killer to spot you. Trust me you are likely going to be on the edge when facing Myers. At least with Jason, I have more options how to defend myself as well as avoiding him.

3. Bubba Sawyer aka Leatherface aka The Cannibal

Leatherface was directly pulled from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Bubba has some major differences from The Hillbilly. I already explained how they got both of them in the same game in another blog. Leatherface can hold on to full charge that does reduce his overall speed. Thankfully he gets stuff to help even the odds.

He doesn't hit his hammer as far as some killers. But he does swings fast at close range. Just like some killers, he can use his chainsaw to down survivors easily. He has one of the best attacks among killers for that. Leatherface swings his chainsaw around for a few minutes. It is possible if things plays out right hitting all four survivors in one go.

Leatherface does have his usual groan in the game. I would say he is the easiest to learn among the licensed killers. Hard to believe he was inspired by real life serial killer Ed Gein. The same killer also inspired Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs & Norman Bates from Psycho series. Leatherface is the very person that made people with chainsaws scary in the first place.


4. Amanda Young aka The Pig aka Jigsaw Killer

I will be honest I wasn't happy they chose Amanda for this game. I finally came out to say it here. Amanda was one of John's apprentices to continue his life's work. Where they kidnap people to force them in deadly games. She made her games impossible to work while Agent Hoffman was willing to break the rules.

I will give them credit for choosing their kidnap costumes for the game. Many people believed it was the year of the pig in China around the time they got released. The Pig is one of the hardest to predict among the killers. She also has an alternate method for killing survivors that doesn't involve a mori. The Pig can place reverse bear traps on survivors.

They have to sneak around The Pig to a few locations to attempt removing the masks. The station will laugh like Billy the Puppet when it isn't the right one. Just like failing skill checks does alert The Pig to your location. If you don't remove the mask in time, the trap will activate killing you. This makes those trying to get the mori achievements easier with her.

I do need to mention the official Saw games based on what I heard are terrible. It is funny Dead by Daylight finally nails Saw right in a video game. She also comes with her own map where a lot of the games took place in. Trust me this map is very well made fitting of The Pig. I would say it is fun to play as her but hated going against her.


Sadly none of the actors reprise their roles or given permission to allow their likeness in the game. The same can't be for Jason since Kane Hodder played the character four times before the game. In that regard Jason has more of a lasting appeal to him. Although I do prefer playing as Freddy and Michael over Jason for many reasons.

Also you play as Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8 and Jason Goes to Hell versions. If you were involved with funding this game, you will get an exclusive Jason skin designed by Tom Savini himself. Basically in both cases a lot of love went into them. For Friday the 13th: The Game, it really was a love letter to the fans.

For Dead by Daylight, the fact it has Freddy & Michael in the same game to me is mind blowing. The maps from licensed franchises are beautiful done. I would even say those are better than most maps in Friday the 13th. Yes the famous Halloween theme is also in the game too. I loved how they alter the experience for each of these licensed killers.

Either way you look at it, both companies are huge horror movie fans. A lot of horror movie fans would enjoy both of these games. I do think Jason does deliver more on fan service in killing people. I do like these killers bring their own unique to all the maps. Michael is easily the most op out of the four licensed killers even to some agree being more op than Jason.

I think I done what I can with comparing these two amazing horror games. I am mostly making these blogs for fun. I am leaving my bias side at the door. Otherwise I could've easily given rounds I given to Friday the 13th to Dead by Daylight instead. I do highly recommend playing both of these games close to or on Halloween, trust me it is well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment