Friday, April 26, 2019

Gotham Final Review & Final Joker comparison

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, a while back I gave a review on the show Gotham. Last night they aired the final episode. Man I got a lot to talk about for this follow up blog. I would be rude to say can we now call it a Batman show but I won't. Gotham is a great original adaptation of Detective Comics with it's own changes to spice things up.

I believe last time I didn't talk much about critical stuff. I am going to spill the beans this time. Unless you want a large amount of this show ruined. I suggest you leave now & go do something else. Please I don't want angry parents telling me their kids are upset over something like that.


I got to be honest some episodes does have some unneeded story stuff like The Riddler's strange girl friend. I felt this would've been a better show without that. How Bruce ends up taking down the Court of Owls is one of my least favorite moments. It comes off as they didn't want to keep continuing that part of the story.

Oh Ra's al Ghul is their leader's boss, he willingly had those at the top killed. In an attempt to make Bruce happy comes off like a bad joke. Sofia comes off like a character that already entitled to whatever she wants. Oh what do we call that? Why a spoiled brat that's right, her parts of the story to me came off a little boring.

Don't worry it didn't hold the show back much. I still wish they would've focus on other character's growth more. I do actually like how they went about introducing The Joker. Oh wait they still don't call him that in the final episode. According to sources, this version of Jeremiah is called Mr. J. I got to be honest I really prefer this version of the character.

Just how much you will see in a little bit. Most of the final episode you don't see a lot of Bruce at all. In fact not long into it they quickly go into a ten year time skip. I will say it did end the show on a good note. I simply wanted more of Batman & Mr. J in particular. Yes The Penguin in the final episode looks more like the actual character now.

Professor Strange played a role in reviving a lot of characters. He also helped in turning a soldier into a cyborg named Bane. Yes parts of this does come off questionable. Speaking of that the final big arc will quickly remind you of Dark Knight Rises movie that also has Bane. Yeah a lot of the same stuff is going on.

Bane acts as the right hand man of Ra's al Ghul's daughters. Most bridges got destroyed forcing whose trapped in Gotham to remain there for months. The military ends involve not really helping that much. Honestly I felt Dark Knight Rises had a more satisfying conclusion. But I do like we get to see more of the chaos in Gotham.

Now I think of it, in some way The Scarecrow was involved. Personally I do prefer how Gotham uses him better no offends to the actor. A lot of Batman villains has origin stories with some getting a few episodes. Characters like The Riddler & The Penguin obviously had the most focus. We got to see both of them doing all sorts of things.

They even use The Executioner whose the most obscure villain character on the show from the comics. Although comparing them you will notice how different they actually are from each other. At least a great actor played the character well enough to mention him in this review. There's plenty twists as well as turns in this crazy story.

I should mention both Bruce & Selina had to change actors for the final episode because of the time skip. Which further bags the question what I do think of their new actors playing those characters? I will say Lili Simmons does a great job being both sides of Catwoman. There isn't much known about the other new actor.

We mostly get to see parts of him as Batman. I do like his Batman voice more than Christian Bale's. My least favorite character always has been Barbara. Her story by itself makes you question many things. She was a rich girl not happy with her life. After a run in with a serial killer, she becomes insane.

Sometime afterwards, she decided to become a criminal. Eventually one of the leaders of fractions Gordon was fighting against. Although she did help to some degree during a lot of it. I would even say she was one of his biggest allies. She could've easily took him down with one or two fractions help.

She left that life to focus on being a mother. In fact she was in the process of having a building bigger than the Wayne building. Ra's al Ghul in my opinion was used better here than in Arrowverse shows. Usually I would side with Arrowverse shows in most regards. I just felt how they handle Ra's al Ghul in season 3 of Arrow wasn't on the scale as Gotham's.

Batman quickly takes down Mr. J also saving Barbara the one who eventually becomes Batgirl. Do not expect Robin to appear at all, there is virtually no signs leaving to that anywhere in this show. After Bane got taken down, Jim Gordon finally becomes the commissioner. Yes the other important deal that simply doesn't matter as much.

In Dark Knight Rises, Gordon was going to give a speech with the truth about Batman. Following that he would've step down from his position knowing he lied to the city for a few years. But here Gordon was commissioner for a decade. He did had thoughts of stepping down but chose to remain instead.

At one point Gordon had the famous mustache. I kinda wanted to see more of those fractions getting involved with what was going on. Let's be honest not counting Jeremiah & Bruce's story. Most of it was heavily focus on soldiers working Bane taking on the police. Earlier on, there was some gun fights between some of them.

I was kinda hoping for Mr. Freeze to threw some soldiers or The Scarecrow attempts to use his gas on Bane. Why did we even need the later Poison Ivy episode where she drugged Victor Zsasz? The core story of Gotham is solid but some of the other stories come off as somewhat important or simply not needed at all.

Yes this show focuses heavily on Bruce & Gordon since they're the main characters. Both of them have interesting different stories. Obviously this is a prequel show that would lead to Bruce becoming Batman. Jim becomes the commissioner whose a big ally of the dark knight. I am very surprised they actually allowed stuff like pigs eating people's bodies.

Paul Reubens reprises his role as Penguin's father. Keep in mind, both takes from the same actor is two different character. He originally played his dad early on in Batman Returns movie. I am not going to lie Danny DeVito played my favorite version of the character. Yes it isn't as based on him like most adaptations, but his performance was very good.

In that movie, he with his wife chose to throw their first born away. Where he ends up surviving in the sewers. In this show, Reubens plays a much kinder man that welcome his son. Despite the fact Penguin was a criminal. I should mention he recently got release from Arkham after an experiment to not be bad anymore.

I think you can see how that played out easily one of the dumbest things I ever heard. Why would you turn The Penguin into essentially another Peewee Herman lol. Well they already got the actor who plays Peewee so I guess the joke's on me. Gotham isn't perfect but it does hold up better than later portions of Batman 1966 show.

To clarify late season 2 to all of season 3. Gotham does an amazing job keeping it interesting. Yes they loved playing on bringing characters back to life. This was a reference to comic books doing that in some way. So I really didn't mind that much for the most part. Jerome is easily my favorite original villain character.

Jerome is a proto Joker character that inspires his twin brother to continue on his legacy. Deep down he knew no body could do it better. Ecco is a precursor to Harley Quinn. I am still surprised Mr. J killed her off like that. This show loves forcing good people to do bad things. The balance is a strong impression that takes time getting use to.

Before I conclude my long review, Poison Ivy really writers? I would say out of every Batman villain they used on the show. She was given the worst hand by far. She was a little girl until one of Strange's experiments touched her taking some of her lifespan also causing her to age rapidly. She woke up to realize she is now a teenager.

Later on, she turned herself into what we all known her for. She gets reborn as a plant woman with a serious bitch side. Sure bringing back characters to life I could accept. But they chose to greatly alter her character due to a lot of her fans aren't happy. I felt they could've started her out as a grown woman or simply removed her altogether.

I figured since I am reviewing this to quickly add anything to my related blogs here. Thankfully I don't have much to really add here. But I do have one more Joker comparison to do. If you seen those blogs, you already knew this was coming. I'm a huge fan of The Joker since my child hood. I felt both do have things over each other.

Batman 1966 Joker vs. Gotham Mr. J

To clarify this is Jeremiah after he fallen into chemicals. This greatly changed his personality, even the writers stated his new personality was essentially both of their personalities combined. I will be honest I wasn't happy with Jeremiah prior to that happening. He acted cocky with a seriously twisted plan for Bruce.

I would say Caesar Romero's Joker is still better in episodes he's great in. But comparing those same episodes to just the final episode with Mr. J. Suddenly this topic got a lot harder. Mr. J does wear some green stuff like his gloves as well as a bow tie. He confirms he faked being brain dead for a decade.

The fact he was going to use The Riddler as a distraction while framing The Penguin to some degree was genius. Obviously Romero in most episodes played the character. There was one slight time the character cameo played by someone else. Mostly Romero gives a great performance. Yes some episodes like the UFO or my least favorite Joker episode the surfing contest.

Yeah maybe it was wise Gotham took so long to use the character. We don't know much about him personally on Batman 1966 not even his origin. In vice versa, Jerome started this after being revived. Before he died a second time, he made sure a surprise was sent to his brother. This jack in the box transforms some of his features as well as turned him insane.

Basically Jerome started the legacy but it is ultimately his brother that becomes The Joker. I will confess the entire Jerome/Jeremiah story portions are among my favorites. I would even say most of those holds up better than some of Romero's best episodes I'm not kidding. By now you see why this is so hard. When talking about Mr. J you have to talk about the entire Joker mythology story arc.

Yes Jeremiah may not kept me entertained like his brother. Mr. J ends up being more unique to him in many ways. They didn't allow them to call him The Joker as well as having green hair. Yet Jerome in his second life got green hair. He also used a few joker playing cards. Do I even need to mention Batman 1966 Joker wasn't meant to be taken seriously lol.

Some of the stuff he does comes off like some early super hero cartoons I'm not kidding. Clearly I do respect both actors for portraying The Joker. I would say Romero is the most entertaining tone down Joker. Mr. J quickly steals the show in that episode. A lot of people freaked out by his appearance alone.

I am looking at this as humanly close as possible. I think Cameron Monaghan impressed me more. He plays both twin brothers as well as Mr. J whose a different personality in Jeremiah's body. In a sense he played three characters with Mr. J being The Joker. All three of them brings something different to the table.

Yes I know I actually given Romero a win over Jerome. But I still stand by my reasons in that blog. I do think Jeremiah as a whole went from being interesting to kinda boring to wow give me more. Mr. J is a disturbing take on the character even rivaling Heath Ledger's to some degree. As much as Romero stands out in his best Joker episodes, Mr. J simply impressed me more.

When you actually see him talking you will be amaze how much he acts like The Joker. I am not giving him the win because Romero refused to shave his mustache lol. I felt a story like that leading up to a surprisingly great portrayal is tough to beat. Romero is still one of my favorite live action Joker actors without question.

Winner: Mr. J

No comments:

Post a Comment