Sunday, December 16, 2018

Jack Red reviews Postal 2 Revisited Edition

I just want to make something crystal clear. Yes I am redoing an old review but I still got plenty of ideas for newer blog entries. Especially after Christmas trust me it should be worth keeping an eye out for. By the way once again special thanks goes to Running with Scissors.

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I also realized I didn't say enough about the main portion of Postal 2. All I did in my Demon Bundle review was quickly describe it. I felt it truly deserves much more respect than that. Which is exactly why I am going to review it again. I am very happy with my reviews on all it's expansions.

To clarify I don't plan on redoing anymore reviews from Demon Bundle. Yes I am aware of Lucius III coming out very soon. I do not know when I'll get it. I own most of them now including both versions of Lucius 1. Back to the topic at hand, Postal 2 is hands down one of my absolute favorite games ever.


You play as The Postal Dude doing chores from Monday to Friday. This is a mix between FPS and a smaller scale open world game. Considering it Apocalypse Weekend came out a year before Capcom's Dead Rising 1. This game in many ways was ahead of it's time. Postal 2 is also one of the most controversial games I currently own.

Let's be honest a lot of people will not make this game. They didn't hold back on offending anyone. In fact this game really doesn't care about that at all. Among beating the game you will unlock enhanced mode and cheats to spice things up. Steam version has Steam workshop that also supports Paradise Lost dlc.

I love you could do both sides of most chores to see what happened. It is possible to play through the game without killing anyone. As stated before you don't actually have to play the chores. You could go around attempting to do achievements or kill people or befriends a dog. Postal 2 is a rather twisted dark humor game.

The following point also applies to Paradise Lost. Every day you will have one group of enemies that could attempt killing you. By some point on Friday, five of them will be angry at you. Sure every now & then the game crashes but it isn't a bad one like Serious Sam: The Random Encounter. It is no secret this also served as the basis for Postal the Movie since there was little to nothing from Postal 1.

The reason I said that is because you sorta had to look up what is known of the story. Most of them centers on killing people with not much reason given at all. Obviously you couldn't make a video game movie out of that. As a joke, all Talibans looks like Osama Bin Laden, a real life famous terrorist.

The audio department by itself is amazing. The map is just the right size to not be too big or small. You quickly learn how to get to each location you need to do stuff at. But every day unlocks portions of the map. Which also applies to Paradise Lost but it is more stricted about that. Postal 2 is a game that never was meant to be taken seriously.

In fact, I seen stuff in this that wouldn't make it in bigger game companies titles at all. Considering it was a notably small game company that made something this great. I wish I could personally shake all of their hands. You will be surprised at the creative of the actual game design. Of course cheating is a lot of fun.

Sometimes playing without the codes can be a enjoyable experience. This game does have a lot of difficulties you can choose from. Slightly more if you chose A Week in Paradise. Interesting fact, this variation that adds Apocalypse Weekend levels to the main game was originally a mod. It was given enough praise for Running with Scissors to include it in the actual game by default.

I also felt the other reason being in Postal 1 you could play with some extra levels or every single one of them. Thus it would be mirroring the original in that regard. I did state this in Share the Pain review. Areas added in that expansion got brought in the main game. It is still not common when actual game developers appear in their own games.

Postal 2 is easily one of the absolute best PC exclusive game sequels I ever played. Not only they built on top of Postal 1 but greatly expanded everything about it while adding ridiculous stuff. A while back I done a Top 10 Ridiculous Video Games list with Postal 2 at number 3. Only Saints Row IV and Garry's Mod got higher.

Trust me, you haven't seen stuff like Postal 2 until you sit down to play it for yourselves. A major criticism of the original Postal was lack of humor. It was a very dark game with little to no funny lines. Of course, this would affect people wanting to play more of it. Running with Scissors chose to not hold back on being funny.

I also like they did updated the game to insult Postal III in more ways than one. They made it publicly clear they shouldn't had another game company making it. At least they will not repeat that same mistake again. Hell I would drop everything to play the true Postal 3 when it comes out. The additional gore effects from Share the Pain are also present here.

I spent a good amount of two weeks playing Postal games. Yes it was mostly Postal 2 going for a lot of achievements. I believe I ended up in just Steam version getting fifty six achievements I'm not kidding. Of course that also included many achievements from Paradise Lost dlc. This game really makes you feel like you are The Postal Dude.

You know what I'm going to say something a lot of people won't like. Postal 2 even without including it's multiplayer expansion was way more fun than GTA V. Truthfully so was Saints Row IV. This game knows exactly what it is and refuses to hide. A game that's so out there you will be mind blown it even exists.

To be honest, this game after I played another game called Harvester has some striking similarities. Obviously their genres are different but you can shoot & fun with melee weapons in both games. They also have levels centered around Monday to Friday. Not only that both of them really don't want back on bringing out it's disgusting side.

I wonder if there maybe a possible connection between these two games. Postal 2 is easy to pick up & play. At the same time you have to get issue to some of the in game mechanics. Thankfully it isn't like some games that can be very strict about doing that. In that regard thank you Running with Scissors.

Keep in mind, Grand Theft Auto III was out two years prior. A year before this game was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The main reason I'm bringing that up is because you also don't have to play story missions. You get to explore the world at your own pace. Thank god you can do that in Postal 2. In fact some later portions it is critical you do know them well enough.

Sure you can't drive around in vehicles. You do get more gore as well as a few ways of entering in cheats. You can simply type them in or beat the game to have the cheats option available. The later is better because you can keep pressing it for awhile to get a ridiculous amount of what you want. This is way better than doing the money code in GTA games regardless.

Postal 2 has a lot of potential for being one of the greatest FPS ever made. I would even say it is without question one of the absolute most addicting shooters I had the pleasure of playing. Hell you can use cats as silencers on some of your guns. I was surprised the movie used that lol. I felt they did a truly great job.

When you do chores the good methods it could be a little frustrating to wait awhile in some cases. Sometimes it just simply more fun to do the bad side of them. For example you could wait in line at the bank to get your check cash in or rob the bank. Regardless what you do, the police will be there. There's a couple of health items you can use as well.

Your best health item are pipes but they also can harm you at awhile. You could suddenly lose a lot of health due to those increasing your blood pressure. I should mention there is an optional chore on Friday. By the way before I go into this since it's very disgusting. I highly suggest skip this part to the end or leave to go do something or go grab a bag just in case you throw up.

The Postal Dude will say something about his thing. You can actually pee in game being one of the few shooters I played that does it. If you can count Conker's Bad Fur Day, another funny controversial game or Duke Nukem Forever. You will notice by peeing your health is slowly going down with him groaning over the pain.

You now have the chore to getting the cure to what he currently has. The fact they chose to put something this disgusting in the game tells me they have balls. What can I say ever since I first watched The Angry Video Game Nerd, I love stuff like this. Postal 2 has a lot more weapons than those of Postal 1.

In later versions, some weapons from Apocalypse Weekend like scythe can now be used in the main game. I should mention some posters advertising the movie is also present in the game now. Not only this was among the very best Demon Bundle had to offer. Postal 2 to me is a very inspiring game. You have many possible ways to play it even altering routes.

This game will never over stay it's welcome. The moment you start playing chances are you won't stop playing any time soon. I guess I'm what you call a sucker lol. Honestly this is one of the absolute best indie video games I ever played. I really couldn't say anymore about it without repeating myself. Postal 2 is a game to the right people will always be thankful they have it like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment