Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Jack Red reviews Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I already reviewed most of the Mortal Kombat games. I think it's about time I finish up with doing some of the spin off games. I never got to play what many considers to be the worst MK game in existence. I am talking about Mortal Kombat: Special Forces on PS1. Based on footage alone I could say as a kid.

I would very likely get very angry over it. For me, those games were very good for their time. Obviously I love fatalities in general. Yet this game doesn't even come close to feeling like a Mortal Kombat game. This is also coming from the same guy that did own Batman Forever on Sega Genesis. Strangely felt like a MK game despite being a Batman game.

1. Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (1997)
I had this game on PlayStation 1 before Mortal Kombat 4 on the same console. To be honest The Nerd broke down the game very accurately. Why do we need an extra button to simply turn around? You know it's horrible controls when the jump button so happens to be the up button. Obviously in fighting games that works fine but in something like this?

Imagine trying to play a poor man's beat em up game with very limited options while quickly getting loss. As the title suggests you play as the original Sub-Zero. There are some RPG elements although the entire game I spent playing it I actually wasn't aware of it. I only got pass the first level by pure luck.

Yes I tried out codes to see how more of the game was like. Trust me if you felt the first level was going to be frustrating. What makes you think it would get any easier? One interesting fact, the god of wind Fujin debuts in this game with several characters. Quan Chi actually first appeared on the cartoon prior to this game.

I haven't got to play the N64 version but I can only imagine how much worse it can possibly get. The PS1 version isn't much better. The sound effects are among some of the absolute worst I ever heard in a game. Now I get it a lot of people wanted more story for several characters. It is a real shame they went about it this questionable direction.

In fact we wouldn't have Konquest Mode or Story Mode because how much this failed. The fact it didn't even tell it's story good makes we're in for a piece of garbage of an game. Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero is very confusing where to go or what to do in many levels. Trial & errors are virtually a cruel joke of this game.

Sure you can save your process among beating a level or simply use passwords. This game does not show you any mercy at all. Considering this was the guy to become Noob Saibot I did expect more. He took down four elemental gods in one MK game. The acting is mostly terrible actually worse than Mortal Kombat: Annihilation more.

Even Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins has better overall acting than this. Honestly they must've been smoking dry ice when they came up with this. Very recently, me and my wife were around a small size dry ice. Trust me watching the cold smoke coming from it was way more entertaining than this game.

2. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (2005)

This is an alternate MK2 game that does follow the events of the original Mortal Kombat. In a way it is a precursor to MK9 since that covers the first three games. Although in this case parts centering around MK2 and this game have major differences from the original game. They did a much better job at platforming this time around.

At first you have two characters to play as in the campaign. You can unlock two fan favorites or more characters in versus mode. Yes this game actually has a versus mode. The basis leads up to a confrontation with Outworld's emperor Shao Kahn. I did get very far in this game but never finished it.

I do recall acting a great amount of it despite using the terrible Xbox fat controller. OMG that hurts your hands to the point you really don't want to play anymore. Yes this game does get repetitive but at least it's more balance than the previous spin offs. I would you can play Mortal Kombat II with one of two ways.

You could find Smoke whose found in the same spot he appears in the original game or input a code. The fact one of the greatest fighting games was an unlockable in this game makes it worth playing. The actual game is hands down one of the finest games in the franchise. A lot of your favorite characters appears.

They did an amazing job with this game. Everything is a major step up from the ones we shouldn't whisper their names. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks can be challenging in many ways. For example trying to figure out what you're suppose to do is more clear than in Mythologies: Sub-Zero. I also like the boss fights do spice up the game play.

They also introduced a new finisher called Multalities. They are virtually fatalities meant to kill a group of enemies at once. Now this was such a nice addition to the game. Overall I was very happy with this one. Clearly they have learned from their past mistakes. It is a shame the follow up got canned.

Although Ed Boon did show interest in possibly following it up. Honestly keep what you already have there while expanding a few key areas. Hell it could even be one of the greatest games ever made. Considering MK9 and X did so amazingly well. I don't question this game will be well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment