Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Jack Red reviews Leprechaun Returns

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I got to see the new sequel/reboot of Leprechaun franchise. I didn't expect much after watching the first trailer. The later trailers is what sold me on watching this movie. Syfy has a hit or miss reputation on doing horror movie sequels to several franchises. I am happy to say this wasn't a miss.


Leprechaun Returns is a direct sequel to the original Leprechaun. This sorta answered the big question about this franchise since Leprechaun 2. Despite Warwick Davis playing the character six times in a row, were they the same leprechaun or not? It turns out they were different leprechauns. I got to be honest this movie surprised me in many ways.

The actor who played Ozzie in the original Leprechaun returns. Officially making him the second recurring character in the entire franchise. Prior to this it was only the leprechaun himself. A group of young adults goes off grid at the O'Grady Farm. I am not going to lie I will likely spoil some of the movie.

I highly recommend skip to the end or go do something else instead. Leprechaun Returns has a new actor playing the leprechaun. Thankfully unlike Leprechaun: Origins, they stay true to it's roots. Look I get it they wanted to make the leprechaun scary. We all figured out it wasn't actually a leprechaun killing people.

Don't worry I already reviewed the previous Leprechaun movies. This new actor does make it his own. He sorta comes off being even crazier than Warwick Davis of the original Leprechaun. Yes I know that's a huge statement. The kills themselves really didn't disappoint. I would say some of the humor does work but he just isn't as funny as Davis.

I actually look the appearance of the leprechaun being notably better than Leprechan: Back tha Hood. They sure had the leprechaun stealing the show this time. OMG all the stuff that happens to him. Yet he just keeps coming back for more. I do like most of the movie takes place in the same setting as the original Leprechaun.

Obviously going by the original trailer, they made the gold coins Leprechaun owns very different. I did like they didn't forget their roots. Yes other characters from the original are also referenced in some way. I won't spoil how but trust me it caught me off guard. Leprechaun Returns is very true to it's name.

This was the movie a lot of us Leprechaun fans has been waiting for. This is way better than Red Clover aka Leprechaun's Revenge that also aired on St. Patrick's Day several years ago. Which makes this movie the second Leprechaun movie to air originally on the same channel. Although Red Clover is a stand alone movie that so happens to have a killer leprechaun as well.

The gore was a lot better than I was expecting. Hell I'm not going to hide it this is very likely the most disgusting entry by far. Just some of the stuff that happens to the leprechaun really caught me by surprise. A little spoiler the leprechaun just notices a long tree branch that goes right through one of his eye sockets.

I also found out a few days ago, one of the writers of Ash vs. Evil Dead. Which reminds me I can review the series very soon. I am not spoiling much if you seen the trailers. There is a scene where there's several small leprechauns similar to small evil Ashes from Army of Darkness. Sure the acting from everyone else besides the leprechaun and Ozzie are alright at best.

I do want to say this sorta feels like a true Leprechaun movie. Which is always a great sign sadly there is no cameo of Warwick Davis at all. I did come across a recent interview with Davis explaining why he declined the role. Honestly I respect his decision, he already did the character six times. I think it was about time to pass the torch.

This following statement is not related to the review but I'm sure some Chucky fans wants to know. Yes I am waiting to watch the show. I am heavily against the reboot please blow it up as soon as possible. I might even consider refusing a review on it I'm not kidding. Considering I reviewed some of the absolute worst games & movies, that's saying a lot.

My apology in advance, back to the review. I did like how creative they were at using the leprechaun. Way more exciting as well as original than Leprechaun: Origins. I will never stop crapping on that movie. I would like to see a sequel in the near future. Most things you want in an Leprechaun movie is here.

Trust me this would be perfect to watch on St. Patrick's Day. I would even say this is one of the absolute best entries by far. I am willing to rewatch it that day coming in a few months. This movie really step up from the previous entries that became more of a comical horror. Well oh okay the idea of a leprechaun killing people is already silly.

At the same time, Warwick Davis and Linden Porco did a great job twisting a folklore character. Maybe Syfy should redo Rumpelstiltskin in the near future too. In fact, some of the horror movies they plan on remaking is already a total order especially a personal favorite of mine. Leprechaun Returns has a lot of great things going for it to keep bringing people back.

No comments:

Post a Comment