Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Anime Face Off Original vs. Remake #3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA series vs. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, it's been a while since I wrote any entries in this blog series. To clarify a few of them are in the works. I haven't begun to start writing them but there will be a few more comparisons. My interest in Dragon Ball is very mixed due to the new anime in Japan right now. Unless I see a lot of requests for Dragon Ball Z comparison I won't do it.

I will post very quickly what to expect within a few months to possibly a little over a year's time. Keep in mind, one particular comparison could happen sooner or later. But I know a lot of people would love to see it.

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion (show vs. movie series)
3. Berserk

Of course I do take requests so don't worry I want to make entertaining blog entries for anime fans too.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA series


JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders


Round 1: Characters

Both animes has the same main characters with some villain characters appearing on both of them. Although their stories is more similar than previous entries of this blog series. There are still clear differences between both versions. Although how most of their enemies are defeated remains the same.

In the newer anime, there's a lot more villain characters & their stands. They chose during both OVA series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to limit the number of stand battles. Their goal was stick more directly to the story. Let's be honest I'm surprised many things got allowed in both versions I'm not kidding.

Sadly among a closer look I simply learn more and have more reason to care about our heroes in the new anime. You do learn a great deal about all the main characters including the main antagonist Dio. Stands do count as characters with some of them being more interesting than their actual user. I didn't want this to be as one sided as it is but I have to give this to the new anime version.

The winner of this round is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Round 2: Story

Both animes are based on Part 3: Stardust Crusaders. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is still one of the longest running manga series in the world. I do need to state some important things before I start breaking this down. The original OVA series started with the later half. Due to a particular part with Dio reading an magazine.

It took the team a few years before delivering the second OVA series that makes up the first half. Star Wars & a few years later was The Lord of the Rings live action movies that done this. The story itself is should I say very bizarre lol. The new anime version is actually season 2 only covering Part 3 of the manga.

Season 1 covered both Part 1 and 2 of the manga. Which I do recommend checking that season out folks it is great stuff. This may cover a lot of key moments in both versions. Unfortunately due to them removing a lot of moments to speed up a more direct story take for the OVA series. They loss a lot of rememberable moments that were present in the manga.

Thankfully that isn't a problem in the new version. I do need to say those OVA series does a great job keeping your interest from the beginning. But this is based on the most popular portion of the manga. Therefore you should get more than that. I hate to say it but the new version has all the stand battles. They also kept in the humor and possibly some of the strangest anime moments I have ever seen.

The winner of this round is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Round 3: Animation

Originally I was going to do a violence category but they're very similar in that category to make it very difficult to pick a winner. So I decided with the big time difference to judge the overall animation. Keep in mind the OVA series do differ due to the Dio magazine scene. Originally release in 1993 to1994 with the second OVA series coming out in 2000 to 2002.

The new anime aired originally in Japan 2014 to 2015. I should mention there is thirteen OVA episodes compared to forty eight episodes of the new anime. I strongly felt both of them had amazing animation for their time. I simply felt some moments are better done in one version. I could say the same in vice versa.

Sadly due to the amount of story skipped over in the OVA series. I swear I didn't plan on doing that to begin with. There is more stuff to be animated in the new anime. I do need to say the impressive animation style of that version is truly amazing. They make every character in cool 3D animation while somethings remains in 2D.

I do believe this captured more of the nature of those stories by doing that. By the way the new Berserk somehow completely dropped the ball on doing the same thing. Honestly even small moments looks better than the best moments in the OVA series. I do recommend anyone trying to get into this franchise to watch both of them.

Although my choice is crystal clear at this point. I really do prefer the new anime for many reasons stated in this entry. The best possible way of summary of all that is it simply has more to offer in every possible department. I just finished watching it all play out on Toonami being very excited with every episode.

The winner of this round is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Before I finish this if anyone is interested in enough of me covering Part 1 from the animated movie & the first couple episodes of season 1 of that anime. All I need from you is request it enough to make it happen.

3-0 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders aka season 2 is the better anime. It takes what you loved about the manga in it's entirely. In comparison the OVA series was a solid first adaptation of Part 3. But don't you want more of everything in the long run? I strongly felt the new anime hits everything not leaving you disappointed or wanting more.

It covers much more from the manga including all stand battles and those missing characters. A lot of rememberable moments are present in full for your entertainment. This is easily one of the finest remake animes I have ever seen. Truly worth the time to check it out in it's entirely. I am dying to watch Part 4 aka season 3.

1 comment:

  1. The New anime is just a masterpiece :D Great Blog mate

    ReplyDelete