Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Forgotten Gaming Mascots #1 Jersey Devil (Behaviour)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I will be starting a short blog series. There is no current schedule of when each planned entry will be posted. I will be focusing on some great forgotten gaming mascots as well as those better left forgotten. Today, I will be talking about Behaviour's Jersey Devil game on PlayStation 1.



Some of you heard of a urban legend relating to the state of New Jersey. It is about a mysterious demonic creature not much known about it. Believe it or not, Behaviour has a long history with video games. They too with so many companies attempted to step up the famous gaming mascot war. I hate to say Jersey Devil wasn't a hit.

I won't say he's the worst gaming mascot but there's a couple great candidates for that alone. Jersey Devil just parts of his face sorta reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog. Yet the actual game has little to nothing in common with that franchise. Although, the main antagonists so happens to be mad scientists.

Keep in mind, PlayStation 1 had both Crash & Spyro for a few years as their mascots. Obviously, Mario will always be Nintendo's mascot. Sonic wasn't the first among Sega's mascots but he had the most going for him. In fact, a lot of rip off character during the 90s attempted to cash in on his concept.

I still say Bubsy the Bobcat & Awesome Possum are the absolute worst at that. Jersey Devil involves looking for particular letters to spell out a word that can unlock many things. This game sorta comes off like an Halloween game. Sadly, parts of it wasn't well designed. I actually seen off of someone's youtube review of this game, a badly programmed area.

Where you are sliding down but moving just a little off from where you're suppose to be actually kills you. In most platformers you have to be notably away from areas like this in order to die. Jersey Devil doesn't have a good selection of audio. It sorta has a strange appeal to me as a kid. This game didn't get far shortly after it's launch.

I don't actually think the game was that bad. I could name stuff like Chester Cheetah games being much worse. At least, they attempted a few ideas to help differing it from the other mascot games. Chester Cheetah was like a poor man's attempt at a platformer. Also, Jersey Devil isn't as rememberable as a character.

I actually do prefer Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil series. Sure he isn't a mascot character, he still an PlayStation character a lot of people know. Let's be honest, if given the choice I have to play MediEvil. Jersey Devil isn't exactly a generic platformer. I would say it is more guilty of not taking additional time to improve on some of it's problems.

Jersey Devil also had a comic that reveals more of his origin. This sorta reminds me of Crash Bandicoot but done a bit differently. What I mean by this is in a sense their respective mad scientists created their own nemesis. But Jersey Devil was under his care for much longer eventually rebelling against him.

Honestly, this is a mixed kind of a platformer. I hate to say the camera angles at times could be the game's biggest problem. You have to take some unnecessary chances even in some easy levels because of this problem. I think what ultimately killed this game is not a lot of people knew it was a mascot game at all.

I know prior to researching it recently I didn't know this following fact. I am happy to say the developer is still around with Dead by Daylight. Coughs a much better horror inspired game. I do actually like the look of the character. It is kinda weird, you are mostly dealing with mutant pumpkin characters.

This game could've been a little more fun than it actually is. Sometimes trying to knock out an enemy leaves to you getting knocked out or off the platform. Jersey Devil just doesn't do enough to get people's attention. In fact, I'm sure even I took the time reposting links of this particular entry. I highly doubt, a lot of people even remembers this game.

A major update regarding my blogs this year.

A little update on my major blog projects. I will be following up on my new blog series. I am carefully selecting a couple of gaming mascots. I can't possibly do them all now there's a lot of problems with that. More importantly, I did finish my biggest game bundle I gotten for Christmas early.

I also beaten a couple of Sega Genesis games through Sega Genesis Mini not long ago. I am currently stuck late in Team Sonic Racing. I am still deciding if I should review MK11 late March or hold off until there's no more dlcs. It is very likely getting a second Kombat Pack. Also I will attempt to get what I need for Tekken 7 late this year.

Other than that, I am still putting a list that's going to have a huge month gap in between each major blog entry this year. Later this month, I will select which of these gets to go first. I figured to let my fans if I have any know my process on things. I will say I really got a lot to say folks. I am mostly happy with my Christmas presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment