Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Jack Red reviews Arrow show (2012-2020)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, last night was the series finale of Arrow. A show that started it's own line of shows. I would even say it is doing better than DC's current DC Cinematic Universe. I knew talking about this show was going to be a challenge for many reasons. Yes I have seen every episode as well as all crossover appearances.



Keep in mind, I am only reviewing Arrow here. I hope I live long enough to review the rest of them. Arrow is the beginning of something truly unique. DC does have a long history of creating several TV show multiverses. Arrow sorta comes off like another Batman show. Yet it does many things differently to help differ itself from the dark knight.

Oliver Queen was son of a rich family that had to endure some truly unpleasant things. Which led to him becoming a vigilante. Obviously, his legacy goes beyond his own life. I should mention for several seasons, there's a lot of flash backs to those five years of Hell. Eventually, it starts focusing what could be following this show as a successor.

The final episode itself threw some possibilities out there. I only felt one of these would not be a great idea. I can say unlike Gotham, both the final season as well as the final episode was more satisfying. I will be honest, Gotham did have some questionable parts to it's story. I mostly felt in Arrow's case, Season 4 was not a great direction.

I am not going to hide it, Season 4 is hands down the single worst Arrow season ever made. Arrow started with just Oliver alone. On the way, more people joined his cause to keeping the city. At times to the some degree the world. A few occasions even saving the multiverse from some truly horrible threats.

I do like Barry Allen aka The Flash gets to be his super hero best friend. They really played into it a few times. Arrow is heavily showing how vigilantes deal with some massive curb balls. Like a law that makes him technically criminals themselves. Oliver went from being a mayor of his city to becoming a prisoner.

I will say most of the story telling is done very well. The actual fighting is amazing at times. Sure, how somethings played out wasn't exactly satisfying. The final episode fixed a major one for me personally. Arrow saved you how much Oliver himself changed through out the years. He went from killing people to making sure criminals especially very bad people stay locked up for a long time.

Obviously, people like Diaz was a thorn to his side. I still think it is funny his name is Ricardo Diaz. If you played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, you would understand why lol. Almost everything Oliver has done was for the better of the people he's trying very hard to save. Arrow is a bit lighter than Batman while having more of a notable view on how the police force handle things.

This show has a lot of potential to be rewatchable for months. Personally, it isn't my favorite among this multiverse of shows. I will still say I do recommend people checking this show out. I felt they picked a solid choice to start a multiverse with unlike DC's Cinematic Universe chosen the wrong character.

Look I get it, so many people love Superman but there are other super heroes within the Justice League that could've done the same purpose way better. Also I will be honest to say Man of Steel movie was great. Arrow has some particular moments that a lot of people didn't like. At one point, Oliver had to kill the Fuhrer Oliver Queen from another universe during a crossover event.

The fact they even made him become The Spectre during Crisis on Infinite Earths was done amazingly well. I actually enjoyed watching him beating The Anti-Monitor mostly on his own. It still sucks he died twice during the same crossover event. I will say that was more epic than both Avengers movies with Thanos combined.

Oliver became a man the world came to respect. He sure went through some intense situations. Especially the kind to causing people to losing their very wills over. Arrow does sure love Black Canary concept since a couple of female characters shared the name. Oliver does come off like the next Batman without actually being Batman.

It is almost like Jerome from Gotham, so many people really thought he was going to become The Joker. Ultimately his twin brother Jeremiah became The Joker instead. I should mention, the newest show in this multiverse was Batwoman that has some ties to Batman. Not to insult the people behind all of these shows.

I kinda felt, Gotham was a decent concept that took long life before it happened. I kinda felt that's more of a Batman story than Batwoman at times. Despite the fact, Bruce shows up once as Batman very late in that show. Arrow is more like we all knew the name Green Arrow now see why makes him a hero kind of story.

Both Queen & Wayne are billionaires that chose to becoming vigilantes to protect those they loved. I do need to mention, yes there was Batman during Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover. This is the closest of us actually having Batman on any of their shows. To me, Arrow came off as a show that's surprisingly more like Batman while being it's own thing.

Arrow does have a lot and I do mean a lot of drama. Yes I know it's a crime, super hero show. It shouldn't be a surprise I know shut up. At the same time, some particular moments start becoming somewhat predictable in some later seasons than those in earlier ones. This show was willing to take major risks, now that's something I can respect.

Of course, Oliver was called The Hood for awhile before officially taking the name Green Arrow. Some guest stars you will be surprised even appeared on this show. Keep in mind, some of what happens in other shows does affect Arrow in some way. For a few years, John was only going to have one children while adopting another child.

Eventually, that got fixed due to Oliver long story. This originally happened because of Barry getting emotional about what Zoom did to his father. Which created the famous Flashpoint arc. I figured since I will be talking about The Flash in the near future to bring something like this up. Oliver's relationship with a lot of characters drastically changes.

There are times, his own allies suddenly becomes his enemy to a degree. Arrow mostly deals with normal people with some being a major problem that could possibly kill a lot of people. Oliver's family tree is more complex than you would believe. I won't fully spoil how they chose to end the show.

I will say this, the entire journey for Oliver Queen is a truly emotional journey. You really feel sorry the hell he had to endure. You ended up becoming so proud of what an amazing man he has become. Let's be honest, he had to make some truly difficult situations. Arrow might not be what many call perfect, it is still one of the best live action shows to bear the mark of DC comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment