Friday, January 17, 2020

Jack Red reviews Sega Genesis Mini

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I was heavily into Sega Genesis growing up. It just seems to be one of the few consoles in some form I play a game from it I never played before. I am very happy to say AtGames quickly got removed from it's development. Honestly, this will be a very positive review. This is also my first of these mini consoles not to be confused with plug in game consoles or devices.

This is not me to clarify.


I already talked about some of AtGames' Genesis abominations. Honestly, this is a major step up in so many ways. The menu looks absolutely amazing displaying the covers of each Sega Genesis game included. You also can change how they are ordered. I liked you can change the screen borders but I do prefer full screen.

The controller itself actually feels like a real Genesis controller in every sense of the word. This thing is surprisingly small but a faithful reaction of the model 1 version of Sega Genesis. Prior to this, AtGames did release a similar Genesis model called Sega Genesis Flashback. I am still mind blown how great the selection of games are.

You got some surprising choices like Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Two games from Mickey Mouse's Illusion series & a few others. We actually gotten some rare Genesis games including Tetris. For those that doesn't know, someone once bought a real cartridge of this particular version for a few thousand dollars.

It is in all honestly that rare, which for Tetris that was unusual indeed. They also added a new port exclusively for this. Darius was originally going to be ported to Sega Genesis but ultimately got canceled. Thankfully, Sega decided to finish the job considering Nintendo finally allowed Star Fox 2 through their SNES Classic Edition.

Which by the way was a finished game canceled over a stupid decision. There I said it, also a lot of Star Fox fans said it was the best in the series. Alright I am getting a little off topic here. I also liked you could get six button Genesis controllers. I only own the two default three button Genesis controllers.

You also could offer as a joke since it just a collectible than anything else. You could buy the add ons Sega CD & Sega 32X to make it look like how it did for model 1 Genesis back in the day. I do like you have two ways to use emulator options. Either go up to your Genesis console to press the reset button or hold the start button during any game you're playing.

A friend of mine recently told the start button doesn't do that on SNES Classic Edition. What Sega has done something that Nintendo haven't done lol. Easily, the most impressive part is the audio being right on point. AtGames used a crappy emulator to try attempting the audio in Sega Genesis games.

I also liked we ended up with two extra games with the final game line up announcement. It is surprising this has double the amount of the games included in SNES Classic Edition. Thanks to Nintendo, some game companies have tried with a few others likely to try very soon. I have to say despite this being my own mini console in my entire gaming collection.

They really knocked it out of the park. This felt like a much needed return from Sega. Honestly, this really felt like I'm reliving my child hood. Sega made sure this was exactly the way we wanted it. I am very thankful to own one of these. Also due to having an HTMI cable, it not only plugs in easier. The overall quality of the games looks way better.

The overall emulation is spot on too. I actually grew up with a large number of these games. I am very impressive by the hard work that went into this. There is no question in my mind, I always wanted something like this. Sega Genesis meant the world to me even right now. Without it, I probably would never became a gamer in the first place.

You probably heard the famous saying Quality over Quantity. AtGames' Genesis models being the Quantity in this case. This is the perfect example of how to properly doing this concept that Nintendo started. I am still disappointed about PlayStation Classic doing horribly. I am hoping either Nintendo 64 or Sega Dreamcast might get the same treatment in the near future.

I am also glad this came with two controllers. Usually most models of AtGames' Genesis models does as well. I highly recommend if you get stuck playing one of those. Please find yourself a real Genesis controller, trust me it works way better. I felt they really nailed the actual controllers perfectly in Sega Genesis Mini.

Games present that were in my child hood as they follow down below...
1. Ecco the Dolphin (one of my cousins had this game.)
2. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
3. Sonic the Hedgehog
4. Altered Beast
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
6. Castle of Illusion
7. Shinobi III (temporary as a rental.)
8. Street Fighter II: Special Edition
9. Sonic Spinball
10. Ghouls 'N Ghosts
11. Golden Axe
12. Vectorman
13. Road Rash 2
14. Eternal Champions
15. Columns

Some of these I played more recently from a little over a decade to a little more recently. Prior to playing the select few I never got to play before. I figured just case anyone wondered how much this console meant to me. There you go, I was so glad to officially own one of these. I highly recommended getting your hands on it as soon as possible.

By the way yes I looked closely to their sizes. I believe AtGames' model is slightly bigger but Sega Genesis Mini ended up being slightly wider. I know kinda strange, I should mention AtGames' model does have an actual cartridge. You can't get around the amazingly horrible audio. I felt the audio is really spot on with Sega Genesis Mini.

No comments:

Post a Comment