Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Two more Mortal Kombat movies review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, nearly two years ago. I reviewed some Mortal Kombat movies. In particular among those was Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Well I'm back with the two newer entries in the same animated MK movie series. As a huge MK fan, of course eventually I had to talk about these.

Before I go into the actual reviews, yes I'm aware another animated MK movie in the same series is coming out this year. Eventually I'll get to watch it then review the film in similar fashion.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms (2021)

This directly continues the story in Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. The movie changes the main character from Scorpion to Liu Kang. We all knew this was going to happen, it works well for the movie. They borrow stuff from MKII, MK3, MK4 and MKX respectively. They reveal more of Liu Kang's past. Some brutal deaths, well it's Mortal Kombat that's obvious.

It's like you know in John Wick movies, a lot of people are going to die. We all already accepted the fact. Yes Scorpion is still in the movie. A lot of characters done way better than in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. You could argue parts of this being better than the newer live action MK movie as well. The story is told well enough with some notable parts that doesn't quite come together.

For me to explain what I mean, I would have to spoil the big surprise early. Which I don't plan on doing, I will say this is one of the better MK movies hands down. I liked how Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero started continued spiritually with these movies. Honestly, this was the way to go while the team works on more MK games as well as dlcs.

Yes I'm well aware Mortal Kombat 12 is coming out this year. I personally can't wait to play it myself soon. There's some painful moments to watch, there's no sugar coating that. I felt they did a good job with the overall ratio of things. It easily could've been ruined in record time. Obviously, this has some changes to make it more of it's own thing.

Which I can respect since they are the ones telling these stories not us. Mortal Kombat always had interesting aspects in it's concepts including the story telling. Yes, a lot of us came to watch all these brutal finishers. I would be lying to say I didn't either because you bet I enjoyed the level of gore this movie has. There's some fan service for sure here.

There's two main plots going on that eventually comes together. In other words, Liu Kang ends up having two decisive battles in a row with the later being more unexpected in a few ways. If anyone in MK universe worthy enough to be called their own Doomslayer, it's Liu Kang. I would say check this movie out if you're a fan of the series.

Yes they do a follow up tournament as well. Not long after it's conclusion is Shinnok using the power of the One Being to unmake everything. Keep in mind, Raiden not only gave up his god powers. He also got killed during the tournament. The Elder Gods became Liu Kang into a god just like in MK11. They even had Liu Kang used his dragon form against Shinnok.

Compared to how poorly that concept was done in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. They didn't have to give that redemption. But in a way, I'm sorta glad they did. This is why I say they pulled from MK4 because in the original MK timeline, MK4 happened after MK3. In the more recent time line, MK4 was virtually replaced by MKX.

Both MK4 and MKX were about Shinnok trying to conquer while attempted to bring back the One Being in some way. Obviously, this meant Hell itself was going to be unleashed on everything. Shinnok is the devil in MK canon, its true he wasn't the original devil in the time lines. The point is this god out of his mind.

He actually wanna unmake everything with virtually no consideration at all. Yes they did bring in the controversial Lin Kuei decision as well. You know the one where the Grand Master forcing it's own members to become cyborg ninjas. Although, they surprisingly changed the reason for doing so. Originally in all confirmed game timelines, it was making the clan soulless.

Thus, the clan wouldn't be affected by Shao Kahn's soulnado. In this movie's timeline, they did it to become "superior ninjas" I'm not joking. Yeah it kinda ruined the point but still works for the movie. I felt this was a good follow up in it's own right. Even considering, a lot of popular characters being used way better than a certain MK movie.

You know the one right? Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is just so bad!!! Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms is one of the best MK movies to date. By now the original Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins is becoming more forgotten. Which is a good thing because that's also not a great MK movie either.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind (2022)

I am going to start what might be considered controversial. So far this easily became my favorite among the animated MK movies. Yeah no joke this one was a roller coaster from the beginning up to the end. This one largely pulled from MK11 including the big twist. This one follows an older Sub-Zero that's no longer an Lin Kuei member as well as lack of clan which gets explained later on.

Unexpectedly, he ends up training Kenshi through out the movie. The movie greatly reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin franchise. I'll even compare the two right now. Kenshin Himura aka Hitokiri Battosai the Man Slayer was the top assassin of his era. He used to kill people up to a point he left that life behind.

Which also can be considered a possible inspiration for characters like John Wick. Sub-Zero was among the best of his clan back in the day. Of course, ninjas were no strangers to killing people. After a tragedy, Sub-Zero vowed to never use his powers again. We get to see how Kenshi loss his sight in a brutal deception by Shang Tsung.

Kenshi starts out as this cocky fighter until he got defeated badly by Tremor. Yes Tremor as in the Earth manipulating ninja is in the movie. The main antagonist is Kano now being called King Kano. King Kano wants to take over everywhere with virtually no regard at all. This movie actually shows you why Sonya hates him so much.

Yes there's an unexplained huge time gap from the previous movies to this one. Stuff like that gets explained later on. Sub-Zero puts up with some unpleasantness until he decides to finally fight back. Yes Scorpion returns as well very excited for that. Scorpion always been my favorite MK character since child hood.

Some of the most brutal kills by far are in this movie. I'm actually going to give out an fair warning. If you have a weak stomach, I highly suggest you don't want this MK movie. Animated or not, they really don't hold back on the gore. I felt the story telling was at it's best. At least to me it was told nearly perfectly including the big twist.

In MK11's Story Mode including the dlc expansion portion. We were introduced to a certain crown. This crown can allow people in a particular location alter the course of things. Well, surprisingly in this time line Kano claimed the crown. Virtually everything that occurs in this movie for the most part was his doing.

Yes all of it because he wanted to become king of everything. The final battle between Sub-Zero & King Kano was one of the most interesting to date. This movie shows you how truly Sub-Zero could be if he doesn't hold back. After destroying that location, Sub-Zero agrees to go to Netherrealm with Scorpion because he broken his vow.

Before leaving, he officially made Kenshi the new leader of the Lin Kuei clan. I liked he passed the torch to him. I also liked Tremor had this magma appearance as well. I felt the movie as a whole actually was the best MK movie I ever seen in all honestly. I know I'm praising the hell out of this movie pun very intended.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind felt like what Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero should've been. Now I know that game was a prequel with the other brother being Sub-Zero. If you are an Sub-Zero fan, you're very likely going to be proud of this movie. Honestly, you really can not go wrong with this MK movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment