Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Games of 2022 ranking

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I been doing Games of 2020 as well as Games of 2021 lists respectively. Well I'm back with my biggest but likely going to be my last one. I am going to reveal my Games of 2022 list shortly. You are really going to see what my exact taste in gaming is. Don't expect several big name games though.

Before I reveal the actual list, I wanna quickly go through some honorable mentions. Games for one or more reasons ultimately doesn't make the list.

1. Evil Dead: The Game (Epic)
2. Worms Crazy Golf (GOG)
3. Worms Revolution (GOG)
4. Worms Ultimate Mayhem Deluxe Edition (GOG)
5. Daggerfall Unity - GOG Cut
6. Destroy All Humans! Clone Carnage

Evil Dead: The Game I got for free on Epic. Although I do think it's better than Friday the 13th: The Game. I currently don't have enough time away from games on the actual list as well as family plans to properly judge it. Therefore I have to exclude it from the list for that very reason. Both Worms Revolution & Worms Ultimate Mayhem Deluxe Edition are simply strategy games.

I will confirm I do like Evil Dead for what it is. It's way better than Resident Evil Re:Verse. Yes it also has crossplay. For a game I waited very patiently to play, it just wasn't quite what I expected. I'm not saying it's terrible, I would say it's somewhat disappointing. I still prefer Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick more.

Sadly for them strategy games isn't a genre I regularly play. So I felt attempting to play them justice won't happen in time. Worms Crazy Golf is alright, I kinda like it. Daggerfall Unity - GOG Cut ends up in a similar boat, I'm also not a huge RPG fan. No disrespect towards The Elder Scrolls & Fallout series.

Destroy All Humans! Clone Carnage virtually was treated as a local multiplayer game. Sadly I couldn't figure a way to attempt doing matches by myself. Which means I couldn't even play the game. Unfortunately I can't judge something that I can't even begin. So I hope this explains why all of these aren't on the list.

Also I originally planned on going for Sonic but plans kept changing. I felt the actual list stands out more to greatly make up for that. Basically I don't own Sonic Origins & Sonic Frontiers. Same with the new Saints Row game but the prices were so expansive, I couldn't do it. Not to mention, I got such a huge list so I want to quickly say stuff about games within the list.

20. Resident Evil Re:Verse (Xbox One)

Release Date: October 28, 2022

I bought this through Resident Evil Village last year. As many RE fans already knows this multiplayer game got delayed. Honestly, it isn't much better from the beta I played a while back. There's plenty of Resident Evil games you can play on Xbox consoles.

Despite being the worst of 2022 to me, this actually isn't the worst Capcom game I played this year. More on that later on but the updates I seen off of streams are partly going into the right direction. I still want bigger changes that could make it a way better overall experience.

19. Pac-Man Museum+ (Xbox One)

Release Date: June 27, 2022

Game line up
1. Pac-Man (1980)
2. Super Pac-Man (1982)
3. Pac & Pal (1983)
4. Pac-Land (1984)
5. Pac-Mania (1987)
6. Pac-Attack (1993)
7. Pac-In-Time (1995)
8. Pac-Man Arrangement (1996)
9. Pac-Man Arrangement (2005)
10. Pac-Man Championship Edition (2007)
11. Pac-Motos (2007)
12. Pac 'n Roll Remix (2007)
13. Pac-Man Battle Royale (2011)
14. Pac-Man 256 (2016)

Favorite Pac-Man game is Super Pac-Man

Least Favorite Pac-Man game is Pac-In-Time

I played this through Game Pass a couple of times. It's a sorta mixed bag deal because it does several things better than Pac-Man Museum. At the same time, not so much in other areas making it tricky to decide which is the better Pac-Man compilation to play.

There's no hiding it the worst game compilation of 2022 to me. It's even tricky to do a quick comparison with the previous Pac-Man Museum. Even with what it goes right still falls short to other game compilations on this list.

I will give credit for being able to customize your Arcade. I just felt a lot of stuff you could place are a little too similar to each other. Also some stuff I wish I could place isn't even an option. For example, I wanna place retro style Super Pac-Man in my Pac-Man franchise Arcade.

18. Serious Sam: Tormental (Steam)

Release Date: April 8, 2022

I bought this a few years ago while it was still in beta. Earlier this year, it left beta now it counts as an 2022 release game. I would say it's quite weird for a Serious Sam spin off game. Also the procession doesn't go as you expect it to.

17. The House of the Dead: Remake (Steam)

Release Date: April 28, 2022

A remake of a classic Arcade rail shooter. I do get why this won't be high on a lot of people's lists. Personally I still had a good time playing it. Yes you could cheat the entire achievement/trophy system as well.

I also give credit you can play this with an controller. Although doing it with the usual computer stuff works amazingly work too. Horde Mode needs slight work but otherwise a fun variation of the game.

16. Berserk Mode (Steam)

Beta Release Date: January 9, 2022

Yes this is technically in beta but there's an ending. I would say this was a huge surprise. I took a chance on a genre I don't usually play. Berserk Mode was more fun than I originally expected. I actually wanted to include it because the updates made a huge impact on the game in a good way.

This is inspired by Heretic/Hexen franchise, I got that confirmed by it's creator personally. Sometimes you get so many enemies, you can't do enough to save yourself. Which is very true during the last stage where the difficulty goes through the roof but isn't impossible.

15. Multiversus (Steam)

Release Date: June 19, 2022

It's Free to Play title but you do have paid options. I liked the concept of these classic characters fighting each other. Yes it technically is a clone of Super Smash Brothers series. But I still enjoyed this game more than I expected to.

14. Mortal Kombat Trilogy (GOG)

Rerelease Date: August 15, 2022

Surprise GOG got Mortal Kombat Trilogy rerelease on their service. I loved the PS1 version growing up. There's no question this was going to be among my favorite fighting games I played this year. I also loved I can use my controller, a huge plus playing fighting games on my computer.

Yes, the difficulty is unbalanced especially going against Shao Kahn. This game is packed with nice surprises as well. I officially played three different versions, I would say this is the best version by far.

13. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (GOG)

Rerelease Date: October 20, 2022

This also got a surprise rerelease on GOG. They actually went the distance with the servers. So it's as alive as a lot of older multiplayer Valve games like Team Fortress & Counter-Strike on Steam. I would say this is better than Day of Defeat for sure.

12. Postal 4: No Regerts (GOG)

Release Date: April 20, 2022

Although this technically would be the big disappointment of the year, Postal 4 does have good things. Sadly parts of the game isn't quite finished. I will say it's a better sequel than Postal III yeah!!! I do hope some major updates comes to the game in the near future.

Bonus note: the game is way more fun using codes. For the moment that's my recommended way of truly enjoying the game. I will point out you can change which voice actor for The Postal Dude. The newest being Jon St. John who voiced many characters including Duke Nukem.

11. Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium (Steam and Xbox One)

Release Date: June 21, 2022

Game line up
1. 1943 Kai (1987)
2. Block Block (1991)
3. The King of Dragons (1991)
4. Knights of the Round (1991)
5. Magic Sword (1990)
6. Vampire Savior (1997)
7. Avenger (1987)
8. Black Tiger (1987)
9. Darkstalkers (1994)
10. Eco Fighters
11. Exed Exes (1985)
12. Gun.Smoke (1985)
13. Hyper Dyne Side Arms (1986)
14. Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (2003)
15. Last Duel (1988)
16. Mega Man: The Power Battle (1995)
17. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters (1996)
18. Night Warriors (1995)
19. Pnickies (1994)
20. Rally 2011: LED STORM (1989)
21. Saturday Night Slam Masters (1993)
22. SonSon (1984)
23. Street Fighter (1987) It really sucks!!!
24. Street Fighter Alpha (1995)
25. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)
26. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
27. Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (1997)
28. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (1996)
29. The Speed Rumbler (1986)
30. Three Wonders (1991) 3 game compilation
31. Tiger Road (1987)
32. Capcom Sports Club (1997)

Favorite Capcom game is Three Wonders

Least Favorite Capcom game is Street Fighter

I got to confirm only on Steam currently, I got the entire collection. It is one of those you have the option to buy the games separately or altogether. Personally controls wise Xbox One is notably better. It still isn't perfect but PC wise it can be quite annoying to pull off some actions.

Yes the achievement/trophy hunting is a huge grind. But damn it's such a nice line up of games. I just wish they had a bundle deal with the previous Capcom Arcade Stadium. Obviously that would be a little more expansive than both of them separately but still would've been nice during the holidays.

Street Fighter 1 is actually worst than what you heard. Actually don't go by that, I triple dog dare you to play this!!! It's so unbalanced with terrible controls and bad audio especially voice overs. Let's just say SFII was a massive step into the right direction for the genre.

10. Nightmare of Decay (Steam)

Release Date: May 3, 2022

Here's a cheap horror game that really caught me off guard, I didn't expect it to be so good. It does reference Resident Evil series a lot. Honestly, the bonus content itself is already enough reason to play this.

I would follow a video guide or find a large piece of paper to take notes during your first playthrough. Either would help you out a lot to better your chances at finishing the game. Also the Guardians boss fight is a little unforgiving at times. Keep in mind, Hard Mode adds a fourth guardian into the boss fight.

9. Doom 64 (GOG)

Rerelease Date: June 23, 2022

To clarify, yes this is the more recent port. It is very similar to Steam port even using the same save files. Considering I previously had that on my Games of 2020 list. I don't have much else to say then yeah more Doom!!!

I would say the Lost Levels are decent enough. It may feel somewhat like Quake 1 but more Doom. Cheat Menu for those who love cheating is a nice touch too.

8. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem (GOG)

Release Date: January 25, 2022

I was so disappointed with Serious Sam 4. Then I played this stand alone expansion to that on GOG. I gotta be honest wow this is what I'm talking about. This actually felt like the first couple Serious Sam games with some nice surprises.

Despite only being five levels, they're quite lengthy packed with enemies. It will take you a few hours to fully play it. I really wanted more of that, it was that damn good to me. I am not kidding this was the best Serious Sam game I played in years, I still enjoyed Serious Sam 3 a lot though.

7. Doom Enhanced (GOG)

Rerelease Date: August 17, 2022

This is the more recent port, if you have an account you can play more expansions as well as mods. Other than that, I really don't have much else to say for two reasons. For starters, you simply get a lot of bonus content free is already awesome.

6. Doom II Enhanced (GOG)

Rerelease Date: August 17, 2022

The second reason is everything I said for Doom Enhanced applies here too. Personally I always preferred Doom II over the original Doom. To me, it's more of a challenge in comparison. I love using the Super Shotgun at times too.

5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (Xbox One)

Release Date: June 16, 2022

Another game I played through Game Pass. I got to be honest this was so damn good!!! TMNT fans desperately wanted a proper return in video games. I would even say this game is easily one of the most addicting, unique beat em up games I ever played.

I will say it is the best TMNT beat em up game ever made. It does have plenty of nice surprises as you play. Like playing as Master Splinter or all these cameos they hid into the game to name a few.

4. Postal: Brain Damaged (Steam)

Release Date: June 9, 2022

This might come as a huge surprise, this spin off Postal game was way better than Postal 4. This felt like a good mixture of Doom & Postal. There isn't much negatives since it truly is a solid FPS game. I would even say one of my favorite spin off video games I ever played.

The jokes do land a lot as you play the game. The stages differ enough to make the game rather refreshing to play. A good enemy variety with a lot to kill during the stages. Trust me the weapons do stand out more than they usually do in Postal series.

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection (Xbox One)

Release Date: August 30, 2022

Game line up
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) 1989
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade) 1991
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) 1989
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES) 1990
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES) 1992
6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES) 1994
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES) 1992
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES) 1993
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) 1992
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Genesis) 1993
11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy) 1990
12. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy) 1991
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy) 1993

Favorite TMNT game is TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

Least Favorite TMNT game is TMNT: Tournament Fighters (Genesis)

It's no surprise, this was one of my big I gotta have it 2022 games. A great compilation of 13 TMNT games with some nice surprises too. Honestly, this is a must needed blast of nostalgia. This was impressive to emulate five platforms well enough to get the job done.

This is surprisingly bigger amount of content you normally would expect for a game compilation. Not only that, you get a good variety of TMNT games to spice things up. It's rather mind blowing they pulled all of this off.

2. Capcom Fighting Collection (Steam)

Release Date: June 23, 2022

Game line up
1. Darkstalkers (1994)
2. Night Warriors (1995)
3. Vampire Savior (1997)
4. Vampire Hunter 2 (1997)
5. Vampire Savior 2 (1997)
6. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (1996)
7. Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (1997)
8. Cyberbots (1995)
9. Red Earth (1996)
10. Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (2003)

Favorite Capcom game is Vampire Savior

Least Favorite Capcom game is Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition

Another I gotta have it 2022 games, Capcom Fighting Collection is so damn good!!! They really went up then beyond with this in every sense of the word. I would also say the best PC Capcom fighting game I ever played period.

Every game having online despite not crossplay is still a nice touch. Gallery itself is amazing stuff to see or listen to. I highly recommend checking this out especially you love fighting games.

1. Cultic (Steam)

Release Date: October 13, 2022

Now here's a game that really caught me off guard in a great way. A friend mentioned this game to me, I had to give this a try. Honestly, this is one of my absolute favorite FPS games I ever played. Keep in mind, this only has Episode 1 so far but I really want more.

I also gotta mention the soundtrack is very decent. The levels are surprisingly well designed. This felt like the perfect blast of nostalgia for that style FPS game.

No comments:

Post a Comment