Sunday, December 20, 2020

Jack Red reviews Resident Evil 3 remake (2020)

 Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, finally a great enough deal for RE3 remake happened. I bought it on Xbox One to complete my Resident Evil Xbox One collection. Including Xbox 360 port of Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X is twelve Resident Evil games for that console alone. Sadly today's review is just the main game, I ran out of gold a little before I got both games.

At a later date not specify as of this time, I'll get some gold time to play Resident Evil: Resistance. For now it's time to complete the remake trilogy reviews. I actually got a lot to say about the game itself. I always been a huge Resident Evil fan since my child hood. Yes, I heard about two new Resident Evil shows coming in the near future as well.

Resident Evil 3 remake is a modern take on a classic late 90s PS1 game. Like RE2 remake, the game is vastly different. Honestly, not to piss off Capcom themselves but I didn't like how they went about this. Clearly they rushed right in making the game. Which does mirror what originally happened with RE3 following RE2 on PS1 many years ago.

I really felt they were going to add more stuff story wise to the game. They did change parts of how the story plays out. A few parts of it I did like such as Jill has to escape from her home following an ambush by Nemesis. I also liked they given us more sections to play as Carlos. Which if you know exactly what to do it does go by fast.

You know what else goes by fast in this game? The final section of the game it actually shorter than the final area of RE2 remake. Now we all knew even before Capcom confirmed it in an statement that the game was going to be shorter. Originally RE3 was shorter than RE2 just comparing one of four scenarios. It isn't much different for the newer versions.

I kinda liked this game's Jill but I still prefer the classic Jill way more. I came to like Carlos more than I originally did. I do liked Mikhail was given a bigger role. I even loved we briefly get to see Robert Kendo later on. Obviously, the game looks & sounds absolutely amazing. Maybe it's just me but the turning does need a little work.

They removed a lot of enemies from the original game. Such as Crows, Spiders, Brain Suckers, Sliding Worms and Grave Digger. They added Pale Heads and NE-a Parasite Zombies. At one point, you can come across an Licker in the police station as Carlos. Now I went into this expecting more puzzles. But what I ended finding instead is a handful of puzzles, even RE7 had more puzzles than this.

The cast did a great job voicing the characters. Dario was given a smaller role. Well he didn't have much to begin with. Originally, you see him twice with the later being killed by an zombie. However, we don't get to see what happens to him in the remake version. It is very likely he got himself killed by zombies. They made some enemies exclusive to some areas.

Which does took away from the overall experience. This wasn't an issue in RE1 or RE2 remakes respectively. Like turn on the power in order to set up a route. You must navigate through an area filled with Drain Deimos. They don't appear anywhere else in the game. Mostly in the sewers with a handful in different locations is Hunter Gammas.

Now I have to give Capcom credit, they made these things actually terrifying. They originally looked a little more humanoid. I liked the newer version looks more like an abomination that's difficult to look at. Also, they remove it's normal clawing attack to just an instant death move. They somehow made Hunter Betas look awesome in this version.

They are mostly exclusive to the hospital with one section in the final area has a room of containers being an exception. There is barely any Zombie Dogs this time around. There's just enough of them in RE2 remake. So I felt when I do see one or two of them a few times they're easy to deal with. One of my biggest problems should be quite obvious by now.

They decided to make Nemesis the only boss monster in the entire game. Originally Nemesis was majority of the boss fights. But two of them were Grave Digger's. For those that didn't play either version of RE3 or The Umbrella Chronicles. Grave Digger is a giant worm boss. Which was a precursor to Gulp Worm in Code: Veronica X.

Some of the boss fights doesn't have much to differ em. The final boss, I'll say it now was even more disappointing than Eveline at the end of RE7. There's also no mini games at all in this version of RE3. The reason being Resident Evil: Resistance is included with every purchase of RE3 remake. It doesn't help that game is getting updated & dlcs.

Well oh okay it doesn't have many dlcs itself. But it still disappointing especially compared to RE2 remake. Both games got the option to buy all unlockables. Keep in mind for RE2 remake, it doesn't include The Ghost Survivors mode. Which means you could start playing without having to unlock the hidden weapons & other unlockables.

The pre order deals are even a major gap. You virtually got a great set up for RE2's pre order. But RE3 only given you a costume set with Carlos' classic costume doesn't seem to be in the game anymore. The last thing added to that deal was buying Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Really, Capcom why would anyone want to pre order it if they're force to get a movie that bad.

Story wise stuff like the gas station, a train and the police station happens at different times. They actually made exploring both the police station & the hospital shorter than it originally was. Originally, as Jill you have two options that will lead to you getting inside the police station. You could run away from Nemesis to find Jill's S. T. A. R. S. ID or defeat Nemesis to get Brad's S. T. A. R. S. ID instead.

Either ID cards eventually leads to getting inside the S. T. A. R. S. office. You can collect stuff while having to listen to an transmission. From that point leave the police station with Nemesis stalking you. They changed it to simply getting a key to unlock the S. T. A. R. S. office. You also can collect stuff but going out the door you entered from ends Carlos' first playable section.

It kinda is disappointing they made the police station this forgettable all of a sudden. Not even a Licker is enough to make up for that. The hospital is more about finding an cure for Jill. Which ends with Carlos fighting off zombies and a few Hunter Betas. Thankfully, unlike a handful of things in the original game is randomized.

There is none of that this time around. I think if we were given the option to spice it up by switching item & weapon placements would've made it more replayable in the long run. I also must give RE2 remake credit for including as a dlc the classic soundtrack. They later added in two free PS1 model skin costumes.

They do get criticize by people but I loved having em. Jill does get her classic S. T. A. R. S. outfit. But sadly, she doesn't have as close as many outfits she originally did. Now I know some ports of RE3 had a a few more outfits. My point is Jill now only has two outfits in the entire game. Even RE2 remake or the newer version of RE1 remake had more outfits.

You know what let's go a little further, RE0 did mostly add shirts for Rebecca. But they also added some of her outfits from a couple Resident Evil games. Billy was also given two Capcom character reference costumes as well. So I felt even RE0 went the distance with the outfits here. Honestly, RE3 remake did cut down a bit from Nemesis stalking you.

In this particular case, it's both a good and bad thing. The good part is you can take a lot of the game a bit easier knowing Nemesis won't be chasing you. The bad part is there are some good parts of it. It just felt like they were trying to recreate Ustanak. Even he was stalking Jake way better than Jill here. I could go as far to say when I was being stalked by Mr. X, I knew I had to prepare for what's coming.

I do agree Nemesis is trickier to avoid. He is notably tougher than Mr. X. His usage of weapons can differ from time to time. I loved Nemesis' new look a lot, I still prefer his classic look more. I didn't like Jill's new look as much however. To me, that wasn't Jill Valentine. Well excuse me for being a fan boy here.

Resident Evil 3 remake does have the shop option like in the original game. But unlike the original RE3, you get points from the main game. Oh okay for me that's a good improvement. The Mercenaries Operation: Mad Jackal can be unforgiving at times. They didn't seem to change up the zombies much. I will be honest this remake didn't do the original game justice.

They clearly just wanted to get it out the way to do a few more remakes among some of their classics. At least, they did a good job with the achievements/trophies. Yes, it is a still a little disappointing it is a smaller amount than those of RE2 remake. They did make it easier to travel around the maps. Which could be frustrating at times in the original game.

Like Chief Irons in RE2 remake, Nicholai doesn't hide how much of a prick he truly is. Unlike most Resident Evil games, it doesn't end with a final boss fight. Oh no they had to go out of their way to do something different. Sadly, what ends up happening is not long after killing Nemesis off. You'll make it to the roof top, Nicholai holding Carlos as a hostage.

You just need to shoot at him then the game is finally over. I can't argue they needed to do something different. But this wasn't the best way of ending the game guys. Now if Nicholai would've fallen through the floor that's so happens to be where Nemesis is. Then Jill fires the rail gun while it's in Nemesis' mouth killing both of them would've been sick.

I am not trying to say this game lacks depth. In a sense it does for a surprisingly lacking replayable value or the fact Resistance got the support it should've gotten. This remake was clearly given the bad end of the stick. There's a lot of Resident Evil fans who aren't happy with the game. Especially imagine the anger in those who loved RE3 more than the other games felt.

Personally, I do like the game itself. Sadly, changes to the story kinda made it more of it's own game than what it was suppose to do. Now I know how remakes works. They have to modernize a classic in a couple of times. Such as the events took place in a different year sometimes that may affect the location where it originally happened.

Some classic characters gets written differently that won't be familiar to the fans of the old versions. My point is this game to me felt more like an expansion pack to RE2 remake than it's own game. The overall length is even shorter than just one of four scenarios. Technically it still would be longer than someone very good doing The Tofu Survivor with all five characters in a row.

Resident Evil 3 remake is how you don't properly remake a true horror classic. I think Capcom got greedy & this was the result of it. This game should've gotten more done to it than what we actually gotten. Like having an section or two or maybe a few more enemies we could've faced. Maybe two additional boss monsters could've helped things a bit.

Honestly, I do liked their attempt at making the game scary. The dialogue itself was too focused on Nemesis himself. Jill even had a few bad lines including this one my favorite sarcasm. "Next time take the f*&^%() hint." What is this a dating show lol. Let's meet today's contest, Jill Valentine. Now Jill you have to pick one of three guys.

S. T. A. R. S. then Jill said, "I'll take him." I do like Nemesis was given an flame thrower. Now that was a great idea. I am just glad it wasn't the Gatling gun. Some versions of the monster had him wielding that weapon before. It just took away what made him so scary in the first place. The entire game felt like they don't want playing it for long.

Originally, they made RE3 harder on purpose to hope they could get another Resident Evil game to come out soon. In other words, they help the fans keep their mind off of that while wasting their time. Resident Evil 3 is a great game just not what I would say a great Resident Evil game. Good sure in a few ways it could be called a good game.

I actually was more blown away by RE7 in comparison here. Keep in mind, RE7 started using the RE Engine. Not many games so far used this engine including RE3 remake. I felt the voice acting was way better in RE7 as well. I did like early on in Jill's place did play a little like RE7 without the weapons. This game is one of the best 2020 games I played but also one of the biggest disappointments as well.

I could argue story wise Battletoads 2020 game had a more interesting story. Streets of Rage 4 is pretty much guaranteed to remain as my choice for game of the year. AVGN 1 & 2 Deluxe packed a lot more than this. RE3 remake is a game they could've worked with a lot of it's problems were fixed or removed altogether.

2 comments:

  1. I still liked REmake 3 better than RE 7 though, really hate the first person shooter view and also the generic monsters were pretty boring/ugly in RE 7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree RE3 had a couple of things over RE7.

      Delete