Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Jack Red reviews R.C. Pro-Am 1 and 2

On September 9th, 2020 I beaten Battletoads NES. Which took me on and off about five years to complete.

Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, yes I'm reviewing a few more games from Rare Replay. This is a series that quickly grew on me. R.C. Pro-Am series is a racing series that inspired a couple games including Super Mario Kart. Now considering these games are so similar. I will make it clear at times which game I'm talking about to help prevent confusion.

In both games, you race on many tracks. You can upgrade your vehicles that turned out to be one of the biggest differences between the two games. In the original, you had to know which stuff on the track to run over in order to upgrade. Sorry it isn't like Cobra Triangle where you could waste lifes to fully upgrade as soon as possible.

But in R.C. Pro-Am II, you use money either from a few money items on the track or from races. Not only that, you also can choose what you want to upgrade before a race. So in other words, you could have more upgrades used at a time in the original while you can only buy one upgrade per a race. Easily, both sides have their pros as well as cons.

Surprisingly, both their controls is very good. Honestly, it's amazing how smooth you turn especially in a hurry to not lose first place to another racer. You also get a few weapons again among many stuff you can pick up from the tracks. Neither game has an real ending, it's an endless loop. Kinda like Slalom just not on one of three track selections of that game.

Both games has some great sound effects with great songs. I do kinda agree the original has a better soundtrack. But the sound effects goes to the sequel. I also liked you get to change vehicles. Remember the second game's upgrade system? You actually could change your vehicle faster than the game plans on.

Sadly, the original is stuck with whatever cars are on those tracks. Now that also applies to your opponents as well to spice things up. I do think II had more interesting track designs. It also had a few hazards similar to Cobra Triangle I'm not kidding. It's almost like they took Cobra Triangle then threw in R.C. Pro-Am on a few tracks that's what we get.

Sure, both these games can get repetitive. Upgrades can be tricky to get at times. Rare Replay does have rewind feature for both games. I would say II looks better than the original despite a notable time gap between the two games. I would say both of them are a must play games in that compilation. R.C. Pro-Am series is addicting.

I also liked R.C. Pro-Am II has mini games. At least, we get a break while trying to finish it. Well what many considered to be the track where it technically ends then restarts following. I felt Rare did an amazing job with both these racing classics. Easily, among on the NES section of that compilation without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment