Saturday, September 22, 2018

My Sega Genesis Beat Em Up Past

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, believe it or not I grew up with a lot of beat em up games on Sega Genesis. Some of them I could play for hours among hours. Although I officially played more fighting games I always enjoyed beat em up games more. There just something about them that I found replayable.

Sadly I got to exclude Alien Storm and Streets of Rage 2 since I was much older when I first played those games.

I am leaving some notes on those I haven't talked about before to speed up reading. I am also doing this because a couple of these games I talked about before. Some of them could be getting reviews in the near future it depends on things.

1. Golden Axe


2. Golden Axe 2


3. Cyborg Justice

One of my classmates gave me this game in school. This is a rather unusual beat em up since you can alter his character in many ways. I would say it's one of the least satisfying on the console.

4. Streets of Rage


5. The Punisher


6. Altered Beast

I found a copy of Altered Beast at one of those old clothing stores. Man I came to like it over the years. Also considering this was the original Genesis game you would get with your Genesis. This was made by the same guy who also created Golden Axe.

7. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers The Movie


8. Last Action Hero

One of my absolute hated Genesis games. I grew up not getting very far dying very quickly. I didn't know about other versions until I got older.

9. Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage



10. Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety


11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist

I remember waking up often as a kid going straight to playing this. I usually get around half way through the game. Yes it took things from Turtles in Time but I felt it did them better. Sure this is still considered one of the best TMNT games. I always wondered why the boss rush stage doesn't get brought up much.

To clarify yes I got to play Comix Zone as well. Probably before Streets of Rage 2 another forgotten classic. I had all of these games on Sega Genesis at one point. Some of them still hold up amazingly well by today's standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment