Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Nintendo 64 vs. PlayStation Face Off #1 WCW Nitro & WCW/nWo Thunder (PlayStation) vs. WCW Nitro (Nintendo 64)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I figured to only do versions of the same game on both consoles or similar different ones. To determine which version or game is better. To clarify from Xbox 360 to up I won't do. In the long run by sticking to all previous eras prior to Xbox 360's will make everything more exciting. Also if I did, I have to put everything in one spot instead of two since they're so similar. Even if we threw in exclusive features & dlcs. Sony loves doing that for some reason.

I want to help paint a picture of my past. I want to do a few comparisons of games present on both Nintendo 64 & PlayStation. I am only considering those I have played on both consoles. Otherwise I have to keep it under consideration for now.

Today I am covering WCW Nitro, as stated very recently. A good number of wrestling games around that time aren't great. This one was no exception but man you would be surprise how this plays out. The original version was PlayStation with more wrestlers including hidden characters. During porting the game to Nintendo 64. It's sequel WCW/nWo Thunder came out on PlayStation. They decided to update the roster to WCW/nWo Thunder. Therefore we have a rare thing of one decision led to two on one during the console wars.


I did own both PlayStation games growing up. More recently a few years ago, I found the N64 version at Goodwill. To clarify the original PlayStation games aren't good. The controls, sound effects & graphics aren't great. You do get intros to most of the wrestlers. Unfortunately the N64 version lacks it altogether. As stated before both these PlayStation games has more content than it's N64 port. Thankfully all three does work well with codes.

Just imagine you thought those PlayStation games were enough to keep you away. The N64 version of WCW Nitro guarantees you running for your lives. OMG how did the developers screw it up so bad. Can you believe the controls are much worse in this version? I would say based on all N64 games I played. This is easily in the top 5 in that area. Obviously porting from PlayStation to N64 hit the graphics pretty hard here. Even Resident Evil 2 on the same console looked better despite it's size.

Most hidden characters are missing leaving the game to have a much smaller roster. Yes I know most of these are joke characters & playing as the developers. But it is still a big deal since that's one of the few things that kept bringing people back to it. I am going to be direct both those PlayStation are at least playable. This N64 version ruined the entire experience further than they expected. It is like you over cooked a simple dish then by heating it a different way. You expect something good comes out of it but nope it's going right in the trash can.

Please stay away from WCW Nitro on Nintendo 64. It really isn't worth your time and money to check out.

Winner: WCW Nitro & WCW/nWo Thunder on PlayStation

No comments:

Post a Comment