Saturday, October 14, 2017

Horror Anthology Show Face Off #1 Tales from the Crypt vs. American Horror Story

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, not many people know this about me. I actually do enjoy horror anthology shows & movies. Honestly there's many horror anthology shows out there. Some of which still held up today. I grew up loving Tales from the Crypt. Most episodes are based on horror comic books. The closest show I seen to it is American Horror Story. I know many people will agree to disagree. I felt having some major things in common. This is the perfect one to kick off this new blog series. I won't be doing this very often.


Tales from the Crypt show inspired a few shows & movies. Itself was very different from Tales from the Crypt movie & it's follow up The Vault of Horror. To me this has the best horror host ever. The Crypt Keeper is very entertaining to watch. As stated before most episodes are based on horror comic books. The very last episode is a twisted retelling of the fairy tale The Three Little Pigs.


American Horror Story does take a lot of facts & fictions. Some of what you're seeing either did happen a long time ago or real life legends. By having them adds more fear knowing some of it did happen in real life. Of course they can change up how they see fit. You could say to some degree it sorta reminds you of Tales from the Crypt.

Very quickly I should explain why I must do this blog. Both shows are allowed full blood & gore as well as showing more of their sex scenes. Although American Horror Story got censored to some degree on TV. Most DVD releases are uncensored showing very tough stuff to swallow. I am bringing this up because HBO stoke a deal with the Tales from the Crypt show.

They allowed everything to be shown in their original airing. Even now many horror shows are that lucky. Another thing they have in common is yes both of them are horror anthology shows. Tales from the Crypt really stood up their game in the early 90s. Unlike most horror anthology shows, American Horror Story has each season being like another show.

They do bring things in to help give you an idea how it connects together. Tales from the Crypt stories are all stand alone. I should mention at the very end of a particular episode, you get to see a baby Crypt Keeper. Both did stories on voodoo, circuses, asylums, ghosts, vampires and a few more. Both shows to some degree does have some dark humor.

Both shows has a lot of cursing making it more realistic & believable. A lot of ways people die does happen on both shows. American Horror Story has some true stories they built upon for their show. Everything you see in Tales from the Crypt is fictional. Some actors on Tales from the Crypt has did a few roles. This is way more common in American Horror Story with most of the cast.

Let's be honest there really isn't anything as close as good as these two. They give us two very great takes of horror anthology shows. I don't even need to mention their fan bases are constantly growing at a fast. Each season of American Horror Story is more different than the last. Most episodes of both shows are really worth rewatching.

I'll be honest season 7 of Tales from the Crypt with the possible exception of the final episode is terrible. They moved from California to England losing most of their resources. How the final episodes of each season of American Horror Story & every Tales from the Crypt episodes will surprise you. I would go as far to say this is a debate worth having with people.

Even comparing their finest special effects rivals some of the greatest horror movies & shows. I kid you not I highly recommend both of them to everyone willing to give them a try. Especially close to Halloween where suddenly becomes more fun as you keep waiting. American Horror Story is still on TV currently airing season 7.

The famous saying it's not how you start but how you finish. I should do a final version of this when the times comes. Until then I am pulling hairs which horror anthology show I like more. You really can't go wrong with either show. I see a lot of creativity in both of them making this incredibly difficult. It might come down to the small things. In this case season 7 of Tales from the Crypt.


Yes Tales from the Crypt had more big name stars. You would be surprise which ones actually appears on the show. By having stand alone stories does go a long way. But when your competition goes the extra mile putting all their eggs into each season as one large story. You know all your effort just wasn't enough.

In terms of censorship yes Tales from the Crypt during it's original airing & DVD releases. But more recently they got censored for reairing on other channels. Which for me at least took away from the overall appeal. In fact seeing a little piece of their episodes on TV. You will notice American Horror Story is standing out a little bit more.

Do I even need to dress the elephant in the room? The final season of Tales from the Crypt is such a major lay down. The previous six seasons are amazing that are all filled with timeless classics. I am not here to insult any British actors & actresses that appear during that season. It simply wasn't their fault for being so bad. You can tell the team had a difficult team making their new location work.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea? I really enjoy both of these shows with a big passion. After you see most of their episodes & take a serious time thinking about which is better. Chances are you probably end up with my conclusion. If you actually prefer Tales from the Crypt over American Horror Story. I'm fine with that as long you don't act up on my blog like a baby.

Out of pure respect The Crypt Keeper is easily one of my favorite horror anthology characters ever. No body comes close to how awesome that ghoul is. Being undead allows him to survive even the worst of punishments. One interesting fact that not many people know. If you look closely at The Crypt Keeper's face. If you ever wondered why it looks similar to Chucky from Child's Play series.

Parts of his face came from extra pieces for Chucky. This includes the eyes & cheeks with his smile making it very obvious. I got a lot of love to hate characters on both shows. OMG Twisty the Clown stands out in such a huge way. Sure he isn't as important to the plot as other characters. A few years before clowns protested Pennywise in the new IT movie.

They protested American Horror Story over Twisty the Clown. Now that by itself is mind blowing even before they aired the first episode of season 4. Controversial is a funny thing because the more upset people get by it. The more some people will want it, Twisty is no exception to that. I am not openly supporting such a topic in favor of Twisty.

My point is you would be surprised who you may like in every season. I will be honest I don't like many characters in Tales from the Crypt. I felt American Horror Story simply has better written characters. I am aware I'm comparing comic book characters to original ones. The fact American Horror Story can make villains stand out more than any on the other show.

You know you are watching a better horror anthology show. I will say Tales from the Crypt has one of my personal favorite intros to any horror shows. I do prefer American Horror Story theme although not every season plays it. These are the very things that kept me going more towards American Horror Story.

The Winner is American Horror Story

No comments:

Post a Comment