Thursday, June 8, 2017

Jack Red reviews Spider-Man & Venom series

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I wanted to review a complete game series I got as a kid. True story my parents took me to a game store. I ended up leaving with both Spider-Man & Venom games on Genesis. Yes the same day with Maximum Carnage being the rare red cartridge version. I want to review these games for old time's sake.

Even more recently I haven't done anything like that. More recently I got Saints Row 2, The Third, IV & Gat out of Hell for free on GOG. I also got Saints Row 2 for free on Steam the same week. A while back I gotten the entire Sonic collection on Steam in one go. If you are a big enough fan for what you love, go for it.

1. Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage

Very recently I talked about all the Marvel games I owned on Genesis. I will try not to repeat too much what I said. I absolutely love the soundtrack to this game. You get a great variety of bosses through out the game. You do have the play the first few levels as Spider-Man before you can play as Venom. Honestly I prefer Venom more as a character & I usually play as him in both these games. There are clear differences in how both characters fights. Venom is strong, tougher & has more protection. Spider-Man is faster, more combo based & easier to use webbing. This is directly based on Maximum Carnage comic story arc. This was the origin & debut of the Spider-Man villain Carnage whose my favorite Spider-Man villain. Yes this game does get repetitive with SNES version having tough to enter codes. You are strictly forced to play this without cheating. Another cool feature is you can switch several times between characters. Actually doing that does changes the story as well as the levels. This is like two different versions of the same game are available to play. Honestly more recently I don't mind that. This is hands down one of the best comic book games ever made.

2. Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety

I already stated in a very recently blog how disappointing this sequel is. It's time to explain even further why that is. This is loosely based on Separation Anxiety comic story arc. Most symbiotes introduced in that story does appear in this game. You will fight the same designed enemies so often you quickly lose interest. Sometimes the enemies gets too many on screen & cheap attack you. Mostly leading to many unnecessary deaths. The bosses do repeat so often you quickly realized how to take them out faster. At the same time you kinda hope there was more bosses. Late in the game you have to take on most bosses again. Thankfully you can use the password system to skip to levels & cheat. This game is simply boring, repetitive & lacks anything surprising as it's precursor. For starters unlike Maximum Carnage, although their stories are told differently. You have to play the same exact levels as both characters. Unfortunately there isn't any climbing leveling that could've helped here. The background does often get in your way a lot more often than it does in Maximum Carnage. So many changes could've made this a slightly better game. It still wouldn't be as close as good as Maximum Carnage.

Although it is both obvious & pointless I want some people want to know what's the official rankings.
2. Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety
1. Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage

No comments:

Post a Comment