Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog #25 Dark Shadows (2012) review

 Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I promise this will be the last Tim Burton movie I cover here in a while. I really didn't plan on reviewing a lot of his movies this month. Once again, I'm reviewing another movie based on something old called Dark Shadows. I actually got some rather interesting stuff to say about the movie.

Dark Shadows (2012)

This was based on the show of the same name. I confessed I never seen the actual show. My parents I'm sure have though. I felt for this particular movie either it disappoints those who seen the show or makes those that haven't happyish. Once again, Burton got some of his usual stars back in the movie. Like Johnny Depp plays an vampire named Barnabas.

Eva Green whose also in 300: Rise of an Empire and Sin City: A Dame to Kill. She also stars in another Burton movie called Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Chloe Grace Moretz also starred in Carrie remake the following year. Michelle Pfeiffer also was Selina Kyle in Burton's Batman Returns. Helena Bonham Carter is in a lot of his movies.

Carter also in Harry Potter movies and Fight Club respectively. Jackie Earl Haley also A Nightmare on Elm Street remake as well as RoboCop remake but I recommend checking out the movie Dollman. Christopher Lee is in a few Burton movies himself. The movie follows Barnabas not being in love with Angelique whose a witch.

Not realizing she was a witch, she placed a curse that transformed him into a vampire. Then she had him forced inside a coffin that quickly got buried into the ground. He finally got freed in 1972 after a group of people dug up his grave. Keep in mind, he was down there ever since 1760. Many generations of his family already passed on.

They do reconnect through his recent family members. He notably changed most of their lives but he forced a decision on a dad. Unfortunately for his son, the selfish dad left the residence. They also are accompanied by a woman whose into the medical field. Until Barnabas discovers her plan to become an vampire.

The movie sorta doesn't answer if she succeeds or not. Barnabas helped his family's business against Angelique's business. Of course, things started to get ugly once again. This quickly felt like some of Burton's older movies. I would say this is better than most of his recent movies. Obviously, I notably prefer his 80s & 90s movies in comparison.

Later on, the daughter was revealed to be a werewolf. There isn't a lot of hints on that twist. The son can contact his mother's spirit. It just falls flat to stuff like The Nightmare Before Christmas. There's some dark humor as well, I liked most of it. Yes there is killing in the movie, it wouldn't be a traditional Tim Burton without some.

Dark Shadows is strangely interesting in a few ways. The witch herself has an unusual body as revealed in her death scene. Barnabas with Victoria made a difficult decision that forever changed their existence. Barnabas' family business likely the top business around. So there's some good things within the ending itself.

I gotta mention, they even brought in the musician Alice Cooper. Cooper also cameo in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. I felt some of the special effects works well enough. Honestly, it's more of a gem among Burton's works which is very fair to say here. It's either you love it or deeply disappointed by the film.

Personally, I seem to enjoy the movie. It's way better than his take on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well as his remake of Planet of the Apes. To me, Planet of the Apes is hands down. One of Burton's absolute worst movies he's ever done. Even there I have a handful of good things to say. Back to Dark Shadows, the choice is yours either go watch it or go find something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment