Friday, October 28, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog #27 Darkstalkers cartoon & OVA review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I reviewed all Darkstalkers games. I think it's time to review both shows. Which is going to be quite an interesting topic on both ends here. Honestly, as a Darkstalkers fan I had to check em both out. I can say one of them was well worth the time while the other not so much. Trust me when I say there's a reason you won't often heard bad things about the franchise.

Darkstalkers (1995)
Good news is Capcom was very lucky to not have a bad Darkstalkers game. Unless, you considered Capcom Fighting Evolution as that lol. Even if you did, there's one particular thing every fan hates. It is incredibly bad, it makes Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm & Street Fighter cartoon master pieces. They weren't great cartoons, not by a long shot.

Darkstalkers is flat out bad in every sense of the word. Very few characters looks slightly better as the show goes on. You will be very surprised to learn, the personalities of most Darkstalkers characters are very different. I didn't say in a good way either. Darkstalkers heavily centers on an alien named Pyron with his team of Darkstalkers to attempt conquering Earth.

Some of the Darkstalkers do show up, more than you're expecting. Mostly, Felicia teams up with a kid named Harry. Who so happens to be a descendant of a wizard. Now I know what a lot of you are thinking. Did this show predate the famous Harry Potter series? Surprisingly it does by nearly two years. So JK Rowling you can not sue.

I'm not going to hide it here, in every possible aspect. This show is a train wreck, I can't even say anything decent enough. Thirteen episodes from the very beginning felt it was way too long. It would've been different if I had enjoy em. This is heavily similar to a lot of 90s shows like Extreme Dinosaurs & Street Sharks.

Trust me, when I say those shows was way better. I even argue the one episode Battletoads cartoon is better than this!!! At least there I suffer through just one episode but not here. This show didn't even understands the franchise at all. Even Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm had parts of the story done despite being heavily toned down for a younger audience.

Darkstalkers in all honestly, one of the most disappointing 90s shows I ever seen. Some characters gets more ruined than others. The show even gave Pyron a brother too whose only in one episode. Oddly, his brother was more like how Pyron should've been for the show. I highly do not recommend this show, it's terrible.

Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (1997-1998)
A few years ago, Capcom had an OVA series based on Night Warriors. OMG, this has to be one of the greatest 90s anime based on a video game franchise ever. Some characters don't appear long in the OVA series. Despite, being four episodes they're about twice as long as episodes for the cartoon show. Yes, there is a pacing issue but it isn't that bad.

Every character is respected way better in comparison. Very few actors from the cartoon show worked on this. Like the voice actress who voiced Harry's mom now voices Morrigan coughs way better voice for her. They had the same guy who previously voiced Lord Raptor from the cartoon show to reprise his role.

In most categories, they did a truly amazing job making this. It felt & looked like the very franchise it's based on. Already a massive improvement over the cartoon show. The plot is Pyron came to Earth for a challenge. I won't spoil who takes him down but when it happens. It's so epic yet unexpected at the same time.

I felt the people who worked on this truly understood the franchise. This quickly made up for the cartoon show. I kinda wish we would've gotten this first. But it made sense this came afterward. As a way to get it right concept. In all honestly, I do recommend this OVA series. I just wanted more than what we actually gotten, I loved it that much in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment