Friday, October 28, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog #34 The Suffering review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, here's a horror game not many people mention as much as it used to. A game that still terrifying the right people. I am here to review The Suffering. I do need to mention, sadly I have not got to play the follow up. I will say here's a game that doesn't mess around. I always had a soft spot for this particular game.

The Suffering
The story centers on a prisoner named Torque whose on death row for murdering his family. It's not often I play a game that fully or partly takes place in the state of Maryland. Considering that's my home state, I considered that something special. This is sorta an Silent Hill game taking place in prison before they actually done it with Silent Hill: Downpour.

Which came eight years later funny enough. I do need to mention, Midway was in desperation mood during this period. A lot of games they done wouldn't be as good. Surprisingly, The Suffering is an exception to those. There's some rememberable characters mostly on the villain side. One of my favorite characters is Dr. Killjoy whose a spirit that uses projectors to physically appear.

You do get a lot of weapons through out the game. I should point out there's a huge body count as well. The creatures themselves are rather freak in their appearance too. You have to navigate the prison as well as the island it's on. You do get to learn more about the truth what really happened. If you are lucky, you may quickly figure it out long before the end of the game.

Speaking of that, there's a few possible endings you can get. The game itself does have a moral system before it became more popular in video games. The final boss is essentially yourself, you get to see Torque as a human then the monster form comes out. If you aren't careful you can kill yourself during the final boss fight.

I also gotta mention there's a bonus level that includes commentary from the developers. There isn't much to the bonus stage itself. But you can tell by a handful of things, this stage takes place before the events of the game happens. The canon ending leads into The Suffering: Ties That Bind. I had this with Manhunt 1 on PlayStation 2, back in the day.

The Suffering does take direct inspiration from a famous prison called Alcatraz. We know this because another feature you can watch in the game tells you about that. As for Torque, you kinda wish he would give more in terms of raw emotions or even had lines to say. Which makes it trickier to tell the ending you're going to get.

I felt this game does go under people's radars especially more recently. Then again, there wasn't as many horror games when this came out. Now horror games are all over the place. You actually could buy them all year long which is insane to believe. The Suffering is currently on GOG with the follow up, which may be your best ticket experiencing this master piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment