Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog # 6 Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog (2021) review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, this wasn't planned but later got added on. Ever since I found out about this direct to video crossover movie. I kept looking for a way to watch it since it had a crossover I never thought actually would happen. I'm talking about Scooby-Doo & Courage the Cowardly Dog, I quickly was sold despite mixed feelings I had on the franchise.

I will be honest, I don't regret what I said about Velma show. But considering Halloween is literately around the corner. I didn't want to leave things with Scooby-Doo in such a sour state. So it's a major reason I had to go watch this movie. I am very happy to say yeah I would rewatch it. Don't worry you'll fully know why soon enough.

Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog (2021)
The series of Courage the Cowardly Dog wasn't involved with the movie. Despite knowing that, they got a few actors off the show to reprise their roles. I was more surprised how many easter egg nods they were to Courage's show. I made it crystal clear in my review of that show, it meant the world to me. At a time, the older Scooby-Doo shows with some of the older movies did too.

The movie stars with the gang about to wrap things up with this criminal dressed up in a clown costume. Unexpectedly, Scooby did led away by a radio frequency. Around the same time, Courage was also experiencing that while in his home. This led to the two cartoon dogs meeting for the first time. I always knew if this were to happen, they would hit it off.

Not long, Muriel and Eustace Bagge meets the gang after some of them got attacked by mutant insects. I am warning you right now I will reveal big spoilers about the movie. If you really don't wanna know then just leave the post or website. They find out there's a mayor of Nowhere. There was a problem before both groups fully moved out from Courage's home.

This led to some crazy situations with some jokes leading while a few didn't. Eventually they reached the mayor's place. They met the butler whose acts like Lurch from The Addams Family. After some vicious chairs tried to eat them, the mayor finally shows up. During the dinner scene with just hard bread. Half the group decides to check out the museum inside while the rest stayed at the table.

Eventually, that half of the group looks for a kitchen. Which led to a lot of chasing, hey it's partly a Scooby-Doo movie after all. Later on, they end up in a cornfield which is close by Courage's home. But most of the group got taken. Velma left her tablet behind, very few of them remains at this point. Courage & Scooby reached the house.

Eustace is overjoyed with this fortune those hypnotized by random phone calls left at the house. Including that criminal from earlier in the movie. Now you know he got tricked but he still ends up getting away though. Back to the dogs, they head up to the attic for Courage's computer. He goes from his usual prick attitude to falling in love with Velma's tablet.

This following spoiler is finally going to confirm why so many strange things happens in Nowhere. Trust me, it's very crazy stuff so I will once again give you the option to continue on reading or leave. I will give you a few minutes before I officially spoil the beans. For those sticking around here we go!!! it's something very unexpected.

It turns out, a certain meteorite hit through the very ground Courage's home is built right on top of. It seems to be located around the core of the planet. I am not kidding both Scooby & Courage were digging deeper in the ground. This small, shiny meteorite causes weird effects like reality warping type to anyone who makes contact with it.

At one point, Daphne herself got turned into a 8bit video game character I'm not kidding. This meteorite was secretly at that particular spot for millions of years. This does lead to a surprisingly epic showdown with the queen Cicada. I know a lot of people were expecting Scooby to be the one to stop this bug. But no it was Courage that ultimately faced his fears to do it.

Of course, we do get some weird unmasking here. I do mean weird unmasking, we started with the queen Cicada. It turned out to be the mayor but Velma knew he wasn't real. So he revealed the mayor was actually two of Courage's enemies. Kat & Le Quack, yes these two were working together for greed.

We still aren't done with those surprises. It turns out the butler was Lieutenant. The maid was revealed to the general, I didn't see that coming. Unexpectedly, this leads to a weird dance scene. Even the main villains got involved in a good way. I got a few extra stuff to mention. This was the last film Thea White who played Muriel before she passed away.

I felt this was a perfect mix of the two franchises. Kinda like Scooby's crossover episode with the show Supernatural. But this was even better in a few ways. So I would recommend watching both of those close to or on Halloween. It also felt great seeing something with Courage I haven't seen before. There wasn't a lot of moments I didn't like or I even felt was off for either franchise.

I ended up really enjoying this crossover movie a lot. There's no question, this is among my favorite Scooby-Doo movies ever. I'm also glad Matthew Lillard whose widely known for being Shaggy in a lot of Scooby-Doo stuff was Shaggy again here. Honestly, this turned out way better than I could possibly imagined.

I can't even criticize it because I don't have notable enough issues with the movie itself. Other than it's a little frustrating to find a way to watch. Other than that, I do liked they respected both franchises incredibly well. I was worried they were going to cash in a not great way with Courage. I still don't plan coming back to the franchise but I'm glad I got to check this out.

You got two classic cartoon franchises that deals with all kind of things. It's not often when Scooby-Doo deals with actual creatures. This was such a huge honor for Courage to have this crossover. Now I know in a sense, Scooby-Doo more recently crossed over with a lot of celebrities. There was an old Scooby-Doo cartoon show that did it too.

At the same time, I felt Scooby-Doo previously passed the torch to Courage. Out of respect obviously, sadly Courage's show ended. There isn't much less other than a special a couple years later. Finally leading up to the movie I'm reviewing here. I would say this is a home run for both fan bases, I was overjoyed with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment