Friday, October 28, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog #30 Soul Eater manga review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I'm not done talking about horror manga series yet. Now we are going to discuss a personal favorite for a lot of people out there. Even I argue is even better than the anime show. I am talking about Soul Eater, damn this turned out to be a great story. Don't worry, I got virtually nothing bad to say about this timeless story.

Soul Eater
Yes I have watched the anime show, it's quite good. Like FMA & Hellsing, this anime up to half way becomes an original story. Although, some parts of those does eventually happen in the actual manga in some way. I strongly felt the manga series is surprisingly very constant stuff. The story explains a lot more than it does in the anime show.

Not only that, some truly crazy moments are also present as well. There's some great twists you likely won't see coming. I do love the concept of these students at an academy takes on the supernatural. Which is similar to stuff like Bleach, RWBY and Yu Yu Hakusho but done way better. Especially anime wise because Bleach anime got a lot of not great out of place filler episodes.

There's plenty of rememberable characters with Professor Stein being one of my favorites. Yes, we even get to see an academy for the witches late into the story. They do explain things in a more interesting matter as well. I felt in every possible way, it's done amazingly well. You can feel The Nightmare Before Christmas vibes in both versions of the story.

The story centers on students at the academy that wants to stop the kishin Asura from causing everyone to go insane. I really can't criticize the story because it's so damn good. It doesn't leave many answers by the end of the story either. I do like the concept that most students decides who gets to become the weapon. Yes every weapon including the staff uses is actual people transformed.

This makes things similar again to Bleach but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with it's Stands concept. Eventually, I promise I'll review JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in some form. Back to this, Asura is truly a terrifying villain character despite not actually being much in the story. Just being close by him trapped inside his own flesh causes illusions of insanity.

Yes, there's also a werewolf character named Free. Mostly, they deal with kishins that are essentially demons in their universe. The way the story goes especially later on is just done perfectly. It's so easy for a high demand manga series for the author to feel the pressure or get rushed by the company or both. Somehow the author pulled it off.

Speaking of him, later on he wrote the manga series Fire Force. Which also gotten an anime show, I do plan on seeing that in the near future. Soul Eater does actually involve some beings eating souls. Weapon students needs 99 kishin souls & one witch soul. Yes you need that 99 souls before you're allow to eat a witch's soul.

Later on, they actually show the difference between normal weapon partners and one that became a Death Scythe. Also becoming an Death Scythe, you can be wielded by Lord Death himself. Some witches are a constant thorn in the academy's side especially Medusa. You knew eventually I had to start talking about her.

They do show you the very limits of madness in a handful of characters. The chainsaw guy ends up destroying his soul by raging on for too long true story. Medusa's sister, Arachne chose to fully became one with madness. We even had an kishin, Crona in this particular case that was capable of containing Asura inside for a notable period.

The final battle has a few surprises I won't spoil. But trust me it makes the final battle in the anime show seem terrible by comparison. I should point out Black Star & Death the Kid are rivals too. Which was a strangely interesting rivalry too. I do like multiple groups can work together by connecting to each other spiritually.

In all honestly, Soul Eater is a well told story. It's mind blowing in it's very execution. I don't even want anymore because I'm very satisfy with all of it. I also felt it's a great story to read close to or on Halloween as well. I would say if you haven't came across the manga series, you need to come out from that rock you're hiding under.

No comments:

Post a Comment