Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog #22 Hellsing anime and Hellsing Ultimate review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, now we get something I always treasured since my first full time going to an anime convention called Otakon. I am here to review Hellsing anime, which was among the first major purchases I done from that convention. I'm going a step further with also reviewing Hellsing Ultimate, yes I previously done a comparison blog about the two Hellsing shows.

Hellsing anime
The show is loosely based on the manga. Keep in mind, the manga was still being writing around the time. Some stuff like the vampire priest, Valentine brothers & a particular fight with Anderson. Actually were pulled from the manga, I also mentioned those for another reason coming a little later. I should point out, they notably changed Seras' outfit for the show.

Alucard is in more episodes of the show. There's characters only present here as well. They found a way to tie everything together for the show. There's some great voicing acting as well. The animation is mostly decent with great action within the episodes. Yes, there's an opening song I do seem to enjoy. Alucard does kill a lot of people in the show too.

I felt despite having not much directly pulled from the manga, it's still a good show. Hellsing anime does have rememberable characters including Walter. He's an older man with wires. I actually liked this older soldier character who gets killed off. He's from the manga but he helped with getting Seras training for the Hellsing organization.

It turns out these vampires were cause by a mysterious person. Who in turn has a vampire similar to Alucard. His name was Incognito whose clearly based on Count Orlok from Nosferatu while Alucard directly based on Dracula. Look technically speaking they're both based on different versions of the same character.

Alucard is still one of the craziest vampires I have ever seen. Which also includes DIO from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Although, we don't directly see the person responsible. We do know this person was among the board for the Hellsing organization. We already know it wasn't Alucard's boss so that's already one person cleared.

Surprisingly, one vampire gets some unexpected sexual act by another vampire. Anderson is a crazy priest that can regenerate to a degree. There's plenty of rememberable moments with some being light. I felt the show was more dark driven in nature. I should point out some vampires has ghouls they control. I do like how they went about turning what they had into a more original story.

Out of respect, as much I love the show. It still pales in comparison to Hellsing Ultimate. I still highly recommend both of them with an passion though. This is how you make a good anime while not using much from the manga series. There's thirteen episodes with no OVAs this time. I felt the length they chosen was the perfect ratio.

Hellsing Ultimate
Warning, this OVA series is very graphic stuff possibly considered as nightmare fuel to some people. I highly suggest if you can't stomach or handle the insane level of violence. Please do not watch this OVA series, you have been warned. I was very surprised this got reaired in it's entirely for Toonami. They allowed so much in, it was mind blowing!!!

If you haven't seen Hellsing Ultimate before. You may never seen the level of violence quite like this before. This directly based on the manga Hellsing. Which follows suits to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Both had an original anime that puts somewhat from the manga. In turn ended up becoming original stories.

Later on, both franchises received a full anime based on the entire manga series. I should also point out the episodes may differ somewhat in length but still notably longer than those of Hellsing anime. If Hellsing anime was tame with the violence, this fully allowed it. This show really doesn't hold back with a very notably huge body count.

You get to see people including those altered into monsters being ripped in half. One lady with an scythe gets a good amount of her head grinded down press against the wall while Seras running. Seras also got the correct outfit design, I like both of them. I confessed one of my big anime crushes is Seras. I still prefer my wife though.

The story follows the Hellsing organization dealing with vampires. Which later got revealed a forgotten Nazi branch, the Millennium somehow survived against them years ago back in World War 2. Most of them are now artificial vampires with very few members being the exceptions. Such as The Captain whose a werewolf & the Major became a robot respectively.

All of this ends led to a truly bloody war too. Hellsing organization takes on the Millennium but also Vatican Section XIII too. Who are vampire hunting church people I'm not kidding. At first, you may not take this seriously until you watch them in action. They're quite good at their jobs with Anderson being their trump card.

There's thousands of people in two of the three organizations in this war with Hellsing having the fewest in numbers. Despite that, they found a way to win the war. The Millennium wanted a handful of things. One of them was an attempt to cause Alucard to become erased from existence, it failed. A war that would never end, it does.

Seras fully becomes like Alucard when she chose to claim the soul of a mercenary she loved. Which ended up saving her ass from the Captain at a critical point. This made Alucard way more terrifying than he was on the anime show. There's so much blood getting splashed everything, you will be seeing oceans of blood.

Considering, Level 0 was essentially that filled with familiars from Alucard. Stuff like this particular moment was essentially nightmare fuel. There's more interesting twists in this than in the anime show too. Like Walter eventually betrays the Hellsing organization later on. Even Alucard's boss gets in on some of the action too.

For me, this OVA series is easily the most violent I ever seen. In all honestly, this is a timeless classic. Hellsing itself was a tribute in it's own way to Dracula. I also need to point out every episode has a different ending them. This series had more notable time put in than the anime show. But trust me when I say this is the definite Hellsing anime experience in a nut shell, it's very good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment