Thursday, July 12, 2018

Update on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection vs. Sega Genesis Classics

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, a few months ago there was a game compilation on Xbox One & PS4. Although it was quickly added to it's original PC version for free. It no longer is two emulators playing all the games anymore. So how does it currently hold up to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection?


Sega Genesis Classics may not been the best title for this. When I think of a huge game compilation I usually think of something on the lines of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. They also lowered the bundle from over sixty bucks to just thirty bucks. Now you can buy both of them for around the same price.

I hate to say my controller couldn't fully recreate the classic Genesis controller. Although I do like the intro they added but I still prefer Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection's. It may have fewer achievements but they also center around more Genesis classics. I would say Sega Genesis Classics does have some tricky achievements.

Sega Genesis Classics does have online multiplayer. I felt Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection really missed a great opportunity by not doing that. On consoles, Sega Genesis Classics removes Ecco series, Eternal Champions and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You can still play Ecco the Dolphin & Sonic 3 & Knuckles in other ways on the console.

In that regard, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has all seven Sonic games. Keep in mind, I am judging Sega Genesis Classics on Steam for this comparison. I felt their decision to remove one of the most popular Sega games of all time was a terrible move. They did add more stuff to the game room.

I am glad they took the time to put it in properly than forcing it in. They also for some odd reason put a huge dice on the game selection area. They do have some cool features added to Sega Genesis Classics. Although the original save feature is somewhat faulty now. You can quick save & quick load in any game.

Oh wait it gets even better, you can rewind & fast forward your games too. This allows you to prevent losing lives or getting stuck to where you regularly would turn off the game. Fast forward if use right can greatly help speeding up several games. For example grinding in RPGs to speed up the leveling process.

I would say what used to be the new emulator now a game compilation plays a lot better. Still not as good as it's original emulator or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Achievement hunting wise, you will have a great time having fond memories rushing back. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection still had some nice unlockables like interviews and hidden Sega games on other platforms.

Sega Genesis Classics does have a more complete line up in terms of Shinobi trilogy. But Phantasy Star 1 is in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I guess it depends which Sega franchises are you a bigger fan of. In summary, Sega Genesis Classics is one of the better Genesis compilations. I honestly would recommend Sega Vintage Collection games over it.

Now I think about it, which does deserve the title of best Genesis compilation on Xbox 360 & PS3. If enough of you really know the answer to that question I will do it. Back to the topic at hand if you can't find Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Go find a copy of Sega Genesis Classics or buy it on Steam.

No comments:

Post a Comment