Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Ranking every Sonic game in Sega Genesis Classics

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, here's a huge one today. I am going to rank every Sonic game included within Sega Genesis Classics. I do want to point out Sonic 3 was originally intended to be one long Sonic game. Due to being short on time, they decided to split it into two games. Although the later Sonic & Knuckles cartridge did allow you the option to play it as they originally intended plus extras.

I played through all of them several times in my life. I felt this ranking should be right on point. We got six Sonic games to rank here. I had all of them growing up, this is a personal ranking for me. This could have the most differences among everyone's list on this topic. I should mention, this is strictly my opinion alone.

6. Sonic Spinball

Sonic Spinball is frustrating to play because you can't play it casually. There's four stages but they're notably large in scale. This is the only Sonic game to take things from two Sonic cartoon shows. Ever since this game, in some form they would revisit the concept. Personally, it just falls flat compared to the other Sonic games here.

5. Sonic 3D Blast

I know for a lot of people, this likely would've been their bottom choice. I felt the audio was notably better than Sonic Spinball. The stages were more interesting as well. Yes it played like an updated version of the game Flicky. This also one of the biggest in size Genesis games ever made. A handful of changes would've went a long way here, it's not terrible though.

True fact, I talked to Stuttering Craig a couple years ago regarding the more recent Top 10 Worst Sonic games video. He actually apologized over it. Even he knew the old list wasn't great. I was much happier with the newer list which excludes Sonic 3D Blast entirely. Also no offense to the man, why would you even consider putting Sonic 06 over that?

We Sonic fans knows how terrible Sonic 06 is. If you never got to play it good keep it that way. Otherwise get prepare for one of the most mixed Sonic experiences ever. Even Shadow the Hedgehog had things over this. Honestly, I was fine with most of the old list. Sonic 3D Blast on Sega Saturn blows Sonic 06 away.

4. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

This is virtually a localization of Puyo Puyo. They chose to directly based it off of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog show. For some odd reason in most Sonic Spinball stories, it gets excluded. Considering this came out not long after Sonic Spinball. I still say this is my favorite puzzle game. It's actually one of the most popular within Puyo Puyo franchise.

3. Sonic 1

Of course you knew Sonic 1 had to be up high on this ranking. Sonic 1 has a few issues but mostly a solid platformer. It still held up amazingly well by today's standards. It's also one of the very few Genesis games to have one action across the buttons meaning you could use any of those buttons to play.

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

There's no question this had to be very high. Even I confess Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a very good game. There's plenty of great reasons why it should be number 1 here. To me, it's a little weird about the audio switch mostly in boss music. Also the multiplayer isn't as good as Sonic 2's. Not to mention, playing both halves as separate games just doesn't feel quite right or as good as Sonic 2 as a whole.

1. Sonic 2

This is my all time favorite game ever. Sonic 2 nails everything you possibly want in a video game sequel. It also had some of my favorite boss fights on the system. An amazing job in the audio department. Some of the most fun stages ever on any platform. Sonic 2 is truly an amazing game that deserves to be one of the finest Genesis games ever created.

No comments:

Post a Comment