Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Jack Red reviews Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 & 2

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I recently came back to Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 to finish up the series. I really wanted to do this review ever since I first got to play both these compilations. I haven't played many Mega Man series but I can safely say Mega Man X series is already my favorite. Honestly, I am very impressed with these games more so than the classic series.



Unlike the previous Legacy Collection games, both of these came out the same day. Some of it's content is virtually the same. Yes, they are many things related to each game included. They added a loop option for the music player. Trust me, the songs are absolutely amazing. There's eight games with four of them in each compilation.

The first compilation mostly has three SNES games with one PS1 game. The second compilation finishes up with two PS1 games & two PS2 games. I can safely say PS1 games are the finest games. The SNES games do come close as well. Although, two particular entries I can't recommend others to play for different reasons.

X6 ruined the story of the X5 in a way that's doesn't make sense. This actually got the creator of Mega Man upset despite no longer making Mega Man games at that point. Also some of the level designs don't make much sense either. You can play as X but you can unlock Zero late in a run. X7 is a true mixed experience, it makes Mega Man 8 seem like a master piece.

This is when they tried something new. Yet the entire experience feels off. You can play as three characters that doesn't change the direction of the story much. You could save people with a lot of them are in the worst possible spots. You are likely to miss them for one reason or another seriously it's terrible.

Keep in mind, X7 brought the series to PS2. Maybe they should've wait before going into making this game. Capcom does have some great games on PS2 like Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition or Resident Evil 4. This particular entry has a glitch that can prevent you from completing the level I'm not kidding.

Due to how they went about the actual graphics, it's sometimes tricky to judging how to jump to another platform. Otherwise, majority of these games are very good for the most part. Not much to criticize other than some of them being harder. Some earlier entries uses the password system that also acts as your save feature.

In Mega Man Legacy Collection, you can save state the hell out of those games. In Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, you can only do check points from the emulator options. Thankfully from MM8 to MM10 you can save in game. I am happy you can save in all eight Mega Man X games. But I do need to mention for the last stages, if you reset or turn off your game.

Let's say if you stopped on the second of these stages then you did either of those. You will be reset to the beginning of those stages why? Just like the classic series, you got to take out an enemy group. The Mavericks to me are way more interesting in common. I mean come on Capcom how many characters can you name something Man?

What's next Diaper Man, Banana Split Man, Corny Man, Violent Man the list of potential bad names goes on. Also, late in the games you do have the rematches with all eight of them. Instead of Dr. Wily, we have Sigma whose essentially Ultron for Mega Man X franchise. Unlike Dr. Wily, I do respect Sigma, this virus does not give up.

Some of the absolute most difficult final boss fights in Capcom's history are present here. Honestly, I am somewhat disappointed in X Challenge. I do like the concept of taking on two Mavericks at once. But it seems they chose the lazy way out. Majority of fights are the same on both compilations. The only real difference is they changed every third fight on X Legacy Collection 2.

I do like I get a few chances as well as selecting what I want to bring in. But even that is limited depending on the line up. I'm not great at these games truthfully. So don't expect me to talk about the secret final fight that aren't even Mavericks. Also they don't fully use all the Mavericks. Oh okay I could excuse both X7 & X8 since they done their boss fights differently.

There's still no excuse about the first six entries. Not only that, some pairings doesn't make sense to me. A couple of the Mavericks are used often too. Why not give a few Mavericks a try? There isn't even much to go on how this mode fits in either. I do like playing it for the challenge with a few being surprisingly difficult.

They also included Day of Sigma OVA that occurs before the original Mega Man X. I am happy this is included but why did they put the same OVA on both compilations? I could see some getting the later compilation first. It still doesn't make much sense though. Majority of additional content that isn't in the actual games is worth checking out.

A handful of it are hidden, they will give you trophies as well. I also liked the screen options for both compilations. The overall emulation is very solid with notable slowdown in the SNES games. I also liked each game has stuff you can get to better your chances in somewhat. This wasn't as much present in the classic series.

It is mind blowing how more awesome these games can truly be. My favorite entries on both compilations are very straight forward. X4 for X Legacy Collection 1 & X5 for X Legacy Collection 2. To be fair, despite criticisms people give X8. I actually enjoy this game a lot more than I was expecting.

A huge amount from the classic series is greatly improved in every single way. Yeah I still struggle trying to do some aerial moves due to how they went about the default controls. I do know you can change them, I just chose to work with it instead. Like some classic Mega Man games, there are a few optional bosses you could face.

They do put an amazing level of depth in most of these stages. I also liked most bosses has a health bar. For both compilations, they added Rookie Hunter mode that makes the games easier. I will be honest, most of them are mostly a cakewalk with that. The SNES games in particular will still punish you like no tomorrow especially late into them.

I really like after beaten the stages, you can explore them more for stuff you missed. Some of these games has an extra version of X but mostly of Zero like Black Zero. He is recolored in black while being more powerful. I heard the PS2 games got their loading screens shortened for X Legacy Collection 2.

I do see why AVGN 2 game parodied the mechanics of these games lol. I can only hope Capcom does ending up releasing Mega Man X9. Personally late SNES to early PS1 games should be what they need to recreate for X9. You also can change the languages that does affect most of these games in some way.

I'm still new to this franchise, I do recall seeing a video someone made about missing songs. Yeah apparently some songs exclusive to some of their Japanese versions isn't present in either Legacy Collection. Yes, I am aware both of these are officially the second Mega Man X compilation game. Honestly, they still got a few other Mega Man games they could make a collection with.

Portable Mega Man Legacy Collection
1. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (Game Boy)
2. Mega Man 2 (Game Boy)
3. Mega Man 3 (Game Boy)
4. Mega Man 4 (Game Boy)
5. Mega Man 5 (Game Boy)
6. Mega Man (Sega Game Gear)

Additional Mega Man Legacy Collection
1. Mega Man: The Power Battle (Arcade)
2. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters (Arcade)
3. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Sega Genesis)
4. Mega Man & Bass (GBA)
5. Mega Man Powered Up (PSP)
6. Mega Man Soccer (SNES)

Yes I know most of these are from the classic series. There isn't much left of X series other than Mega Man X: Command Mission and Mega Man Xtreme series. I highly doubt that would get it's own compilation. In a sense as a late tie in, I already know about the release of Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection.

If Capcom just allowed two short Mega Man series in one compilation. Then we probably getting more related to the classic series in the near future. I really don't think there's enough fans to demand Mega Man Legends Legacy Collection that doesn't roll off your tongue. Personally, X series comes with a very strong recommendation.

These games are truly legendary in their own right you just can not fully recreate or surpass. In fact, a lot of indie Metroidvania style games took a lot of aspects from this series. Mega Man X is an absolute must have in your collection. Now the big question I know some Mega Man fans wants to know.

Now I played four of these Legacy Collection games. Which game compilation series I felt held up better in comparison? If we were just judging the actual games then hands down X series wins. But I just felt in additional content section was given a little more care in the classic collections. Yes I know there isn't as close as much X collection games has.

At least, they didn't reuse several things for both collection games. Achievement/trophy wise I have to give it to X collections for more direct trophies that can done in each game. I also liked you could use codes for some truly awesome stuff in both X collection games. Yes, both Mega Man 9 & 10 does have dlcs.

You have two ways of accessing those additional stuff that got added on at later dates. Trust me, that's the only notable code the classic collection games uses. To me, the classic collection games did differ itself from each other more. At the same time, both X collection games made it easier to memorize where everything is.

Overall, I got to say both Mega Man X Legacy Collection games are essentially better. Despite it's issues directly relating to the actual compilation holding each games. It really does make up for it in the long run. Also, maybe this is just me but these games sorta come off like anime games. I still haven't play many anime games.

There is no question X series are more difficult games. Yet you could get access to some truly awesome stuff you simply can not ignore. I am not kidding, I had a very different experience from little to no upgrades from having them all. I also liked being able to play as another character in a couple games.

Up to Mega Man 9, you are mostly stuck as the original Mega Man. I'm a huge Zero fan ever since I got to play these. The actual stories are more to my likening as well. The Mavericks are clearly done better overall in comparison. Sigma is such a great villain, you already know in each final boss fight. You really need to bring it or die trying.

The actual levels are notably bigger with greater level of details in X series. There just not denying which Mega Man series I prefer more. I still do respect the classic series. Even it's finest game, Mega Man 2 isn't as good as some of the finest this series has to offer. I am not kidding, they really are that damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment