Wednesday, May 4, 2022

XboxClown89 reviews The House of the Dead: Remake (Steam)

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, honestly I never got to play any version of The House of the Dead 1. It doesn't mean I'm not familiar with the series, it might surprise some of you. I will even say it's still one of my favorite Sega franchises ever. Of course, I had to play The House of the Dead: Remake. Personally I had a blast playing this on my computer.

The House of the Dead: Remake just like the original Arcade game has four stages. They are decent but not long making the game itself notably shorter than expected. Horde Mode adds more zombies during your run regardless of difficulties. However a handful of spots came off incredibly cheap and not fair. The camera doesn't work like FPS games oh no.

If some of the zombies are outside what you can see. Usually you got nothing to worry about. Not here, some of them will attack you making your situation a more desperate one than it actually needs to be. Even after seeing game play footage of The House of the Dead 4 which had a similar concept. I felt that was nailed while here not so much in this case.

There's some technical issues but I never had it crashed. There is a Gallery mode where you had to kill enemies as well as collect a handful of weapons. In a way it's better than The House of the Dead: Overkill weapon set up system. Sure there's no upgrades but considering how powerful half your weapons are, this isn't an issue.

I do like the bosses with my two favorites being Magician, the only one I was familiar with prior. The other is Hangedman whose this flying creature with bats. Who also kinda makes up half of another boss Judgment from the second entry. It isn't directly him just parts of the first game's two bosses that you also do rematch virtually became Judgment.

The game also offers coop as well as competitive options. It just isn't set up how you expected. In fact, you can actually cheat all multiplayer achievement by doing it entirely by yourself. One method is start up a game without having your wire controller plugged in. Sometime after you start playing, you quickly plug it back in then.

All of a sudden Player 1 goes from keyboard controls to that of the controller with no reason given at all by the game. The achievements are mostly fun but could be made unexcepted easy due to allowing codes to be used. I also wish there was a few more modes to play. Like some releases of The House of the Dead 2 for example.

There's multiple endings that depends on your score. One of the weird conditions for one of them is your score must below 62,000 points that ends with an 0. However you can virtually guarantee the best ending with Modern score option. Which also allows you to select your character, a little weird. Also Horde Mode gives you more opportunities for it as well without using that score option.

The House of the Dead: Remake is a fun solid horror rail shooter. One interesting fact is Sega didn't give the team responsible for this any assets of the original Arcade game. The artwork is mostly solid but parts of it even I confess does look somewhat dated. It's not enough to ruin it for me though. There's a good variety of enemies you'll face.

Like The House of the Dead 2, you can save or kill people. In this game, all of them are scientists. If you are able to save them all, the only altered route in the last stage unlocks. It's mostly a small bonus area that's it. I do like the gore from killing enemies. I wouldn't say this was the best one I played. Even I confess The House of the Dead 2 set the bar very high.

I do seem to like this more than The House of the Dead 3. It's not better than 2 and Overkill however. It is very faithful to the source material. Also why did it take so long for this franchise to return on Xbox? I know my review is off the Steam version but it is likely very similar here with very few differences. It would've been nice if this were to include the original game like MediEvil on PS4 did.

Some routes aren't as clear how you go about them. It's more clear in the other games. Honestly, I'm just happy to finally have one of these games on Steam to play. I waited a long time for that to happen. The House of the Dead: Remake to me was a good game. Of course, some may prefer the original I would like to stay undecided for the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment