Friday, May 13, 2022

XboxClown89 reviews Disney Classic Games Collection

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, previously when I went by Jack Red on here. I reviewed a particular Disney game compilation. Which had Disney's Aladdin & The Lion King games. Well it took awhile to finally get around buying the dlc that adds more Disney games to the compilation. This also came with a title change, thank god called Disney Classic Games Collection.

They added three versions of The Jungle Book game as well as the SNES Aladdin game. Which is kinda interesting because at the time, Capcom had the rights to Disney games on SNES. Thus, they made their own 16bit Aladdin game that was decent. Also among the first video games Shinji Mikami made, the guy who created several Capcom franchises including Resident Evil.

I already reviewed most of the games previously. So I will review games I haven't reviewed as well what else got added to the compilation. I want to start with the SNES Aladdin game. Unlike the Genesis Aladdin game, you don't get a sword. You can still throw stuff depending how much of it you have. Jumping is kinda your best friend but also at times your worst enemy in this game.

The jumping method is addicting more so than in Duck Tales NES games bouncing around on your cane. I will say the game is very faithful to the source material. You do get one bonus stage later on that a lot of people may enjoy. You also get a crazy final boss fight with Jafar too. You face him twice rather than once in the Genesis version.

The SNES Aladdin game has some fun stages. You can briefly jump around where you're about to jump off of. The poles you swing off of if you press the jump button correctly you'll jump even higher. I do prefer the flying magic carpet stage in the Genesis Aladdin game. The bosses are mostly easy, I just felt more boss fights in the Genesis Aladdin game to me were more interesting in comparison.

The final battle, Jafar is in his giant snake form. Some impressive visuals there, I do enjoy this boss fight a lot. The music is very solid as well with some great sound effects. I didn't have many issues with the game itself. It is notably easier than the Genesis game. Which could be seen as a double edge sword. Sometimes you grabbing ledges doesn't work.

The stages to me do kinda come off being a little short. I'm not saying the Genesis game put in more effort there. It just came off that way as I was playing the game. You also can get bonus games that adds extra lifes as well as continues. I actually enjoyed inside the lamb stage, which was my least favorite in the Genesis game.

Now I wanna talk about The Jungle Book game. I only played the Genesis version at the time of me writing this. But I know most versions are based on the Genesis version. Confirmed in the extra content section of the compilation, this was in development before Genesis Aladdin game. They chose to let the Genesis Aladdin game come out first.

Despite this, I actually loved what they were going for in The Jungle Book. I am not going to hide it, I had way more fun playing this than The Lion King game. I felt a more even balance with some notable difficulty spikes mostly in the boss fights. Depending on which difficulty, you need to collect a certain amount of gems.

If you collect all of them, you will be taken to a bonus stage. Among getting enough of them, you will get told what to do next to finish the stage. Personally I do love having to search for these gems. It makes you feel like you're in the jungle, which this game exactly needed. You can throw stuff or jump on enemies a few times.

I should point out there's a short time limit. You can find additional clocks to slightly increase time. Some stages are a little frustrating as well as confusing to navigate through. Sometimes you are wondering where to find your friend the game is asking you to find. You will quickly adapt to how it works, even the worst of it is very doable.

The music is mostly solid with some good sound effects. This also had some nice codes as well. The Jungle Book is also faithful to the movie it's based on. Now I know, both Aladdin and The Lion King movies were released in the 90s. It's kinda weird Disney chose an 1967 animated movie to base an 90s video game off of.

By the way of things, it turned out way better than the SNES game based on The Wizard of Oz LOL. They didn't add much for Aladdin's extra content section. Just additional stuff regarding the SNES Aladdin game. Sadly, there was no videos made for The Jungle Book in the compilation. Plus they chose to not add more achievements to further include The Jungle Book in either.

I should mention you can buy all of it together or separately. It still a weird choice we didn't get the SNES Aladdin game on the first go. Now I know this likely could be the team porting these games didn't have permission at the time to include it. A lot of people were upset it wasn't there because to them without it, this wasn't a complete collection.

Maybe it's just me, why no recent rereleases of any Game Gear games? In this particular case, all Game Gear versions would look & sound better than their Game Boy counterparts. I do sense a notable bias in favor of Nintendo here. Also they could've given us their SMS versions as well. Which also has little to no rereleases recently as well.

I would say to me the best Disney game included was the Genesis Aladdin game. Sure it had it's problems but I also was the most blown away by it. Second best has to be the SNES Aladdin game, a decent platformer based on the same movie. Then The Jungle Book for being the most simple in concept that's a lot of fun to play.

The bottom had to be The Lion King, now it is technically a good game. It's flaws are the most difficult to look past. Achievement wise remains heavily Aladdin, I just wish they would add some for The Jungle Book. I don't think they are going to add anymore games. To me, this was more nostalgic and fun than The Disney Afternoon Collection.

Which had the same company responsible for that as well as Mega Man Legacy Collection 1. The same company surprisingly also doing TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection as well. I also wish when you start the game up on Xbox, they were to use the newer picture that includes The Jungle Book. Although I do love the new title screen picture.

Disney Classic Games Collection is a solid game compilation. Some games also have an option for codes. I just wished all the games included had the option. The handheld versions have a notably shorter screen ratio. Which makes playing a few stages in The Lion King and most of The Jungle Book more frustrating in comparison to the console versions.

I am happy with the rewind feature got included. Which can help at times while others kinda makes things worse. You can feel the love Disney put into this collection. Three franchises that got represented well here. Of course, a few notable changes would've made it even better. Regardless, Disney Classic Games Collection should be a must have or already in your gaming libraries for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment