Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Jack Red reviews Lego Marvel Collection

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I was so happy they lowered Lego Marvel Collection enough for me to get it. I do like Lego games even if it wasn't my favorite toy. Trust be told it was K'NEX long story. Maybe one day, I'll talk about it. Right now, I got three Lego Marvel video games to review. Prior to this, I did own Lego Marvel Super Heroes without dlcs.

I knew about the spin off movie game as well as it's sequel for a few years now. This deal doesn't just give you those three games. No it actually gives you every dlc for all three games as well. Yeah I got to fully experience it myself. Now I didn't get 100% completion on the first two games yet. Recently, I got that on Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 with dlcs included.

I am a huge Marvel fan since child hood. I was beyond excited to play these. I got to be honest this was better than I expected. I will go as far to say which game may get called the worst here isn't that bad of a game even with it's flaws. I hope you enjoy as I dive straight in such a crazy trip. All three of these are now among my favorite Lego games.



Lego Marvel Super Heroes (2013)
Lego Marvel's Avengers (2016)
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (2017)
Lego Marvel Collection (2019)

Now these games are strikingly similar. I will make it clear which one I talk about during this long review. Two of these games are mostly original stories for the most part. Lego Marvel's Avengers is a movie game. Now a regular movie game usually covers one movie. One of many exceptions to this is Lego Marvel's Avengers.

You get to play as many super heroes, super villains and even supporting characters. A good number of them are actually playable in all three games I'm not kidding. All three games does have a hub world with Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2's being the most interesting. I will be honest, most of the hub for Lego Marvel's Avengers is pulled from Lego Marvel Super Heroes with some changes.

Otherwise, you could confuse the two that's how similar they are. Thank god this isn't a problem for the last game. They do reference many things especially some moments from the comics themselves. There's a lot of boss fights with Lego Marvel's Avengers even with dlcs seems to have the fewest. There is some great writing as well as voice acting.

Well it's hard for me to say that on Lego Marvel's Avengers since a large amount of the dialogue is pulled from the movies. There still some new voice acting in the game. There's a lot of super powers you can use especially during roaming the hub world as well as replaying level on free play. I said it once and I'll said it again, playing these games on free play is such a great experience.

I should mention since I got this digitally. I did look up how this collection was done on discs for two versions. On Xbox One, this would be on two discs while PS4 has all three games on one disc. Some of the level's layouts do show some limitations during free play. Mostly in Lego Marvel's Avengers, a handful of times one of my characters got changed to a pre selected character during a section.

You usually play the levels, collect a few different stuff and explore what you can. A huge amount amount of what you need to do will give you gold bricks. Trust me, there's a lot of them in these games. I should mention, in all three games you need to rescue Stan Lee a lot. Yes the man himself is in desperate need of being rescue RIP Stan Lee.

If you collect all minikits for a particular level unlocks comics you can read in game. Now that's a nice touch with a few major changes. Originally you had to go to Deadpool's room that so happens to be on the same ship S. H. I. E. L. D. owns. You also go there in Lego Marvel's Avengers to go into a portal leading to another room.

By that point, it no longer is Deadpool's room. In Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, you have to go the Avengers Mansion. You have to deal with Gwenpool whose kinda annoying. Oh yeah, she narrates through out her bonus missions as well as all dlc levels too. Also, you aren't going for red bricks this time.

No, they decided to make the cheat bricks into pink bricks. I guess to help tie in Gwenpool who really knows or cares. I loved how replayable all three these games are. You need to play dlc levels to fully get every dlc characters in the games. The campaign itself takes a few hours to complete. But going the full distance of 100% completion is a totally different beast.

Lego Marvel's Avengers could've been more exciting than it actually was. I will be honest to say a handful of bonus levels based on particular Marvel movies are among my favorites. These levels pretty much covers the entire movie from start to finish but done in a fast forward direction. Lego Marvel's Avengers doesn't hold back in most categories though.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 gives you a lot more to go. It's virtually like taking their early Lego games now times the full experience roughly by four. Yeah it took me hours to get that 100% completion. Sometimes, a character I really likes is in these games gets me by surprise. Like when I found out Ghost Rider was in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2.

You should already know the basics how to play a Lego game. For those that don't you have to break somethings or an event occurs causing something to break anyway. You need to repair or build stuff to get far in these games. This is exactly why free mode comes in handily. You can play as any character you have unlocked.

I also like you can skip cut scenes most of the time. I should mention in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 does have eleven hidden boss fights. Sadly, you don't get a secret level among fully doing everything. You go to the trophy to activate a particular fountain then there you go. There really is so much to do to keep you busy for possibly months.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 does need to fix up some of it's mechanics though. Like some of the races are more strict on timing while others are more strict about missing an ring. Some characters gets multiple outfits or versions of themselves in game. I won't fully spoil the plot to both Lego Marvel Super Heroes games.

Lego Marvel's Avengers took the plot of the first two Avengers movie. For me since I played Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. Which covered four movies in several levels a bit disappointment. Especially when I ended up enjoying the bonus levels based on other Marvel movies more. It is weird that two of these games got Black Panther dlcs.

I loved they took a direct part from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 movie in a dlc level. Which is surprisingly in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. You also get a good map but a few changes would've made using it a lot better. Overall, I do recommend playing all three Lego Marvel games. I would say as of right now Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 being my favorite out of the three.

Even if Lego Marvel's Avengers isn't as good. There are still some good things about that game. They did make some great jokes during the cut scenes that in some degree funnier than those movies' jokes. Other than that, some characters do look better than how they did in Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Personally, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 had some of their best Lego look by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment