Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Jack Red reviews Quake II and it's expansions

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I grew up with Quake II on PlayStation. Even right now Quake II & a little of Quake 4 are the only games in the series I got to play. I still haven't got to play the original Quake. A spoiler alert that's about to change later this week. Quake II is a rather unusual game history.

It is no secret some licenses forces developers to quickly change the game. Sometimes they had other plans before deciding making a game in title sequel only. What I mean by this is it could share some things with the game it was labeled as a sequel to. This is exactly the case for Quake II for many reasons.

The original developers really didn't want to continue the story of Quake. Although they did allow two expansions to come out that do follow the events of the main game. Quake II was originally an unrelated FPS game that they knew wasn't going to get far on it's own. They decided to call the game Quake II on hopes it would success.

Quake II may not be technically a sequel but interesting enough it got it's own series. Obviously a few things both Quake 1 and 2 do have in common. Let's be honest it is more like the famous comparison of apples & oranges. Quake II is still one of ID's best games of the 90s. I do have one more interesting fact before I start reviewing it.

Quake II has been ported to a few consoles. When it comes to being digitally rereleases, you would be surprise to know Steam lacks the soundtrack. The only digital release to have that soundtrack is GOG version. Which I bought with The Walking Dead: 400 Days on GOG not too long ago. You would think with the amazing selection Steam has, they could get that soundtrack right nope.

One last quick note I still haven't got to try it's multiplayer or Quake II Netpack 1: Extremities. Not available for purchase on Steam is a official product of several Quake II mods for multiplayer. GOG deal gives you the main game, both expansion and this since it would be technically a multiplayer expansion.

1. Quake II (1997)

Quake II is a fast pace shooter filled with secrets. This is a unique experience since not many shooters make you go between levels. In fact most of them are straight forward with some having secret levels. This makes exploring way more fun as well as interesting. You never know what you are going to find.

You have to pay attention to your surrounds since you will have to look out for enemies. A great number in majority of levels to kill. Some interesting boss fights that can be challenging on certain conditions. A great variety of weapons reminding me of Doom series since they're very similar. A good variety of enemies you will run into.

Quake II has Units that acts as this game's episodes. You also get some story cut scenes to help give you an idea what's going on. Sometimes it can be frustrating figuring out where to go or what to do. Thankfully like many shooters at the time when you usually see enemies. You are going the right way for the most part.

I know I don't speak much of FPS soundtracks. To be honest Duke 3D, the first two Doom games, Blood and Quake II has my favorites. The sound effects are very good for their time. This game is packed with content to keep you busy. Based on information & videos I seen, I noticed the levels in Quake II are longer than the original.

One weird fact is PlayStation almost got Quake but they couldn't find a company to help get it out. Mostly complete based on what was revealed about the canceled version. If it were to get release then this & Duke 3D would be the only FPS on the three main consoles at the time. Thankfully as stated before Quake II get make it to PlayStation.

I like how different each Unit is from each other. I know I don't usually comment much on the actual structure of the campaign in these kind of games. Keep in mind this came out the same year as GoldenEye 007 on N64. You knew Quake II had some tough competition. Here is another interesting fact not many people know.

Although Half-Life 1's engine is a modified Quake 1 engine. There is parts of Quake II within the coding like the gore or how they die. Quake II has one of the most awesome FPS logos I ever seen. This game has a well balance out difficulty. It does a great job keeping you on your feet & forcing you to not overlook anything.

Quake II brings a lot to the table in terms of awesomeness. I also don't comment much on video game violence. I will say I do like how Quake II makes it fun to do things to your enemies. I heard from a fan that this game is highly customized when it comes to modding. Back then modding was much simpler than it is today.

I highly recommend this among games sharing the same fate. Quake II doesn't just hold up amazing by today's standards. It did technically help evolve the genre in the direction it is currently going. I got to be honest scifi was incredibly well done but I always prefer Duke 3D. This game is a game worthy for being one of the greatest FPS ever made, personally that is GoldenEye 007 to me.

2. Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning (1998)

Developed by Xatrix Entertainment Inc. that also responsible for Kingpin: Life of Crime & Redneck Rampage. I got to come clean right now, this expansion blow me away faster than the actual game did. I am still amazed how damn good it actually is. The Reckoning takes place before the main campaign.

You play as a space marine named Joker. Your goal is take down your enemies leading to a secret moon base. First Duke Nukem now one of the space marines in Quake II who else will end up on the moon? You get some great levels that rivals the finest from the main game. I got to say how everything plays out is slightly more interesting in this expansion.

Unlike most expansions at the time, they add some nice stuff to the experience. Several new enemies & variations of existing ones. Three new weapons with one new power up called Dual Fire Damage. This campaign is simply amazing for it's time. I believe this could've been one of the absolute best expansions for any shooter I ever played.

The Reckoning also introduces new multiplayer levels. You can tell a lot of great work went into this master piece. I usually don't say a expansion is better than their respective game but this has to be an exception. Everything from start to finish was beautifully done. This is way better than their previous works.

I honestly can't say enough positive things about it neither say anything truly negative. This is as close to perfection among expansion packs as humanly possible. Very interesting to know this is the same team that later worked on Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I would say difficulty & control wise, this expansion is better.

3. Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero (1998)

Developed by Rogue Entertainment that also responsible for Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity. The only team to officially made a expansion for the first two Quake games. This is also the last expansion made outside their team since Quake III: Team Arena was made by it's developers. Last I checked no story related dlcs in newer Quake games.

Let's get the obvious you may heard from people out of the way first. Yes this expansion is tough possibly one of the most frustrating I ever done without cheating. Just within the first five minutes you quickly get a taste of repetitive this expansion gets. Don't get me wrong I like a good challenge but when they throw in some strict portions that could instantly kill you.

You know you're in for some frustration. Of course at times you can have fun playing it. I would say you will need a lot of luck & take big risks in order to survive. They added four new enemies that will push your gaming skills. Two new bosses that are among the toughest in all of Quake series. Five new weapons including a chainsaw.

Seven new power ups spicing up the experience. You will die a lot during this expansion for many reasons. Some portions requires you to quickly escape on a strict time limit. If you don't escape in time you will die instantly. You have to deal with this several times during the campaign. I should mention both expansions has half the total Units the main game.

Ground Zero does little to help you when it gets rough. Thankfully you get just enough to help you during the final boss. Which I should add has two phrases that constantly spawning enemies. I can't say any particular part of the game is easy at all. You need to focus, think fast on your feet and go out gun blazing.

This expansion takes place shortly after the main game. Ground Zero also adds multiplayer levels to the game. I got to be honest even with all the frustration I had playing this. I still had a great time since it wasn't too unfair in difficulty. Ground Zero is way better than Master Levels for Doom II, both halves of Final Doom & especially both Mission Packs for Spear of Destiny.

Now it's time to rank all of Quake II in particular from worst to best. I do apologize I can't review the entire Quake II series that also includes Quake 4 and Enemy Territory: Quake Zone. Speaking of Enemy Territory there also exists Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory that came out a few years before. I do think many people would agree with this ranking...

3. Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
2. Quake II
1. Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning

No comments:

Post a Comment