On the opposite hand I did watch The Crow (2024 version). I wasn't sure until now if I should review that. Then again I did review all the previous entries. I may as well suck it up to review this Crow movie. Either way, I will be talking heavily about Eric Draven. I know some might be curious to see if some of my thoughts.
On the first Crow movie trailer for the 2024 film changed or not. I always respected this comic book franchise for a long time. Truthfully I only seen the movies but would like to read some of those eventually. I also know there's a lot of people that shared the mantle in the stories. I will start with my review of The Crow (2024 version) right off the bat.
The Crow (2024) review
This is a remake of the original movie with a notably difficult production. Although an handful of shared characters mostly being the couple are vastly different from that film. The short version is the franchise kept changing hands with notable hiatus. Ultimately from all of that was this remake film. No disrespect to Bill Skarsgard, I felt he done what he could do with the role.
Actually ended up being a character I could root for. Notably better than Jimmy from The Crow: Wicked Prayer. The actual story is a little better written than I realized. Despite the ending portions coming off questionable, rushed that felt me unsatisfied. I did like Eric talks to the spirit who appears as his guardian in the afterlife a few times.
Personally I felt that was a rather nice touch to the concept. I may not liked Eric's actual look in the movie. But I will give credit Skarsgard nailed what he was given. The main antagonist had a deal with the devil. Automatically I'm reminded of The Crow: Wicked Prayer. Where the main antagonist planned to get possessed by the devil to lose to Jimmy in the end.
It tuns out Shelly previously worked for him. He ended up murdering the couple leading to the events of the movie. Honestly, there's not many moments I actually liked. One of my favorite scenes Eric slicing up the bad guys going after one of his targets. Of course, she is guarded by another person on his list. I actually felt Danny Huston delivered a better performance in 30 Days of Night movie.
I just felt they should've rewritten his character a little bit. Otherwise, he is among the most evil antagonists of the movies without question. Thankfully they didn't reuse the story of the original film. Otherwise fans would've been even angrier. In all honestly, I felt it's just beneath The Crow: City of Angels for me.
I did prefer Vincent's performance over Skarsgard's. I would say easily among the most violent entries to date. They also rushed the romance of the couple a little too much. The actual ending is what did ruin anything decent the movie done. After Eric finishes the main antagonist with helps from souls. He remains dead while Shelly suddenly alive again bags a lot of questions.
Last I checked that's not how it works. Anyone who is The Crow once they gotten their vengeance. Their souls can finally go back to eternal rest with their loved one. This felt like two Hellraiser movie endings in comparison. Hellraiser: Inferno and Hellseeker respectively. For me it's a tough sell to recommend this Crow movie.
Officially thirty years from the original Crow movie. Almost twenty years since The Crow: Wicked Prayer. I felt this was way better than that Crow movie. Honestly, it's a bit tricky which Crow movies to recommend? I felt stick with the original and Salvation. But you might like City of Angels as well. Thankfully not a bad movie just not a great Crow movie.
Why The Crow (1994 version) the best Crow movie?
The Crow was easily among the greatest 90s comic book movies. Just like the few of them that stand out still being talked about today. The short version is in every possible aspect, the perfect Crow movie. It truly was a master piece that easily withstand the test of time. Virtually the best overall writing Crow movie with a great cast.
This Crow movie is incredibly amazing at everything it does. Easily the most rewatchable in the entire franchise. It's unfortunate Brandon Lee who played Draven died following an accident on set. They were able to edit the movie in a way that didn't heavily impact it. The Crow was something truly special that couldn't be recreated.
Even the little things stick with you for a long time. This movie has some mind blowing visuals for it's time. From the little I seen of the comics online virtually looked like those in movie form. The Crow was a great movie that had a rather sad concept. Yet the moment Draven became The Crow transformed it into an amazing revenge film.
The entire time you're rooting for Draven to settle the score with an gang. There is little to nothing to criticize about this Crow movie. This was before questionable decisions affected the movie franchise. No signs of getting rushed out or altered to the point of ruining the film. This by itself was a huge advantage it had over the other Crow movies.
The Crow was a movie was a precursor to a world filled with so many comic book adaptations. Honestly, this movie nailed every emotion perfectly. I even could say this was the greatest 90s comic book movie I ever seen!!! Yes that would include the first Blade movie. Another personal favorite of mine I always enjoyed.
The actual concept was inspired by a real life tragedy a writer had. He turned that tragedy into a rather unique comic book concept. Which allowed multiple person to share the mantle. In a way like Mask but all of them had tragic ends to life with a loved one. They also accompanied by crows while only that mask is shared among many characters.
The Crow is a more serious, darker story. Despite some fictional aspects ends up being surprisingly realistic. Yes the movie does feel just like that. Just imagine Lee's career had he survived that accident? This movie was virtually done to perfection!!! Every major kill scenes is rememberable. My favorite being T-Bird taped to his car getting driven.
The car goes a jump then exploded leaving behind a burning crow symbol nearby. I also gotta mention actor Ernie Hudson also in the movie as a police officer. Hudson stated the franchise died with Lee, I do believe that. To be fair, I still welcome other possible Crow stories. I would've had each movie centering around different people with the mantle.
In a way they done that officially. But this would've been more consistent. I would've avoided reusing a character like Sarah in The Crow: City of Angels. The Crow is a movie that works insanely well. Honestly, this movie was just too damn great of an act to follow. I highly recommend checking out this Crow movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment