Tuesday, July 2, 2024

More thoughts on Gex Trilogy

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, a little while ago I talked about Gex Trilogy. I figured I actually got more to say regarding the upcoming collection game. I will reveal my childhood connections to each Gex game. Not only that, I will talk about what I know about them. Honestly, I kinda wanted this more than Rocket Knight Adventures: Re-Sparked for reasons I'll soon reveal.

Gex Trilogy
I originally found out about Gex 1 from old gaming magazines. I was interested in playing the game, which eventually happened thanks GOG. I know that seems like a rather loose connection. I can promise you I had bigger personal connections to the sequels. Gex also one of the first video game mascots to go from 2D to 3D.

Quick Bubsy rant
At the same time, this ended up not blowing in his face. Unlike Bubsy, seriously Limited Run Games? They do a similar joke they pulled on Gex Trilogy announcement trailer with Bubsy. Which also was announcing his own collection game. Even Bubsy 3D, one of the absolute worst video games ever coming back how?

I always found Bubsy to be quite annoying. I don't even understand how he kept coming back. Everyone knows he's a terrible Sonic rip off. At least Awesome Possum stayed at one game!!! I don't think it's going to be better than Fighting Force Collection yes I went there. I probably never understand Bubsy. Gex has more than rememberable lines going for him.

Back to Gex Trilogy
Gex 2: Enter the Gecko aka Gex 64: Enter the Gecko on Nintendo 64 was the follow up. I actually had the N64 version for a time. Likely a few years after a friend brought over Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko. Yes Gex 3 was the first Gex game I ever seen in person. Both of them are 3D platformer games. Gex series is a huge collecting adventure filled with jokes.

I actually can compare Gex to Conker, one of my favorite Rare game characters. Conker's Bad Fur Day with it's remake parodies a lot of pop culture mostly movies. Gex does parodies movies but also TV shows as well. Gex was always much less serious than many platformers of that era. Not to add salt, I grew up heavily around Crash Bandicoot.

It seems each platformer was doing their own thing. A lot of them were successful while others crashed hard. Gex is technically more successful than Bubsy. What else helped Gex stand out from the competition is climbing on walls. Believe it or not, when Gex did that in the original Gex. This blew a lot of people's minds back in the day.

Considering it's pop culture references, Gex felt like someone you wanna party with. Gex always had rememberable songs that fit the theme of their respective stages. In the US versions, one comedian voiced Gex in all three games. It's a little different overseas where a few people voiced Gex there. You can tell a lot of creativity went into this short lived franchise.

I know some people are hoping if Gex Trilogy's success, Gex comes back with a new game. If Dead Rising can rise from the grave after Dead Rising 4. Then I could believe Gex 4 could eventually happen. I just don't wanna be an old man when it does lol. To me, Gex Trilogy automatically the best Gex game.

You got the entire main console series in one place. Obviously they are using the PS1 versions. Some people have their questionable ideas. For me, if they could add a mode outside the games. Where we play the other console exclusive levels would be nice. Nintendo 64 versions had levels not found in other versions.

Even if we don't get that as well as both Game Boy Gex games. I do think everything else going to help this collection game shine bright. Gex Trilogy might be exactly what the doctor ordered. AVGN game series kinda reminds me of Gex in several ways. If I decide to get it for Xbox Series X. All of a sudden I got Gex and Conker on the same console again lol.

The only real difference I got Gex 1, Gex 3 and Conker: Live & Reloaded this time. Gex 3 widely known for having a model digitalized in cut scenes. People had problems with Sonic and a human princess in Sonic 06 lol. It's not clear if they going to add or remove any voice overs. Personally if we can't have newer voice overs, just keep it the same.

Agent Xtra was played by Marliece Andrada. Along with Pamela Anderson, she was on the original Baywatch show. Speaking of Anderson, she ended up with her own PS1 game simply called V.I.P. PS1 was known for using movie footage like The Fifth Element game. It wasn't often for digitalized actors. I figured that's some interesting facts.

Gex Trilogy is virtually packaged for an platformer game. I believe we're in the current tread reliving the 90s aka my childhood years. Damn I felt old from that lol. Those who owns Crash and Spyro trilogy games should enjoy this. Obviously it has plenty of ways to differ itself from those amazing games. I do think the load times will be notably cut down.

Another thing that helps Gex to stand out is unlike most of his competition. Collecting a certain amount of remotes determines procession to newer levels or not. You may have to play through the same levels again while searching for new routes. This by itself helps with the replay value. There's a few bosses across all three Gex games that's all done differently.

I'm not sure in Gex 2's ending if Nikki from Pandemonium series going to stay in or not. Also Gex 3 on N64 version had a different ending. It would be nice among the additional stuff section, we can watch that ending too. It could be Gex simply was a little too head of his time. The world wasn't fully ready for him.

Another factor is mascot wars made it tricky to keep track of them all. Sparkster recently came back in Rocket Knight Adventures: Re-Sparked. Gex series had a lot of secrets for your usual 90s platformer. Gex has to stop Rez from virtually ruining television, this is the plot of the series. We got a TV obsessed gecko taking on this machinal tyrant.

The first two Gex games has a lot of levels on the same themes. They attempted to change that with Gex 3. Although bonus levels shared a lot of the same themes as the main ones. You can count on a lot of bonus levels in this collection game too. Sometimes you just need something to play. Nostalgia is a powerful thing in retro gaming, Gex Trilogy got the support it needs.

Just going by videos, each Gex game kept getting more ambitious. This is a major factor why some YouTubers stated Gex 3 is the best by that logic. What I do know is Gex Trilogy going to open the door to more crazier Limited Run Games releases in the future. They could've gotten us each Gex game separately.

This might be crazy, I actually do prefer the route they're going with instead. Not a lot of people got to experience Gex much growing up. Sure, on one hand that's simply too much content to give someone. But on the other, please I need this in my life!!! This could heavily impact many things. I do have huge hopes Gex Trilogy going to knock it out the park.

Also going with the PS1 versions, Gex 1 lacked a save feature. Which is kinda odd here because the 3DO version had that. Then again, Gex 1 was on more platforms in the 90s than it's sequels. Prior to Gex Trilogy, Gex 3 never on PC. Officially Gex Trilogy will be the first time Gex on Xbox consoles. I couldn't think of a better way to kick things off than that.

Gex 3, he has an butler named Alfred the Tortoise. Yes that's a reference to DC's Alfred Pennyworth. Gex has different reasons to take down Rez in each game. In Gex 1, he got kidnapped by him. In Gex 2, Gex worked out a deal with the government. In Gex 3, he wants to save his girlfriend Agent Xtra. Sometimes you start to question Gex's sanity lol.

Both sequels structure their levels similar to Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie series on N64. Gex 2 did come out a year after GoldenEye 007 that done it too. Some of the game covers are rather interesting. My favorite cover belongs to Gex 3 parodying WWF later WWE. As in the wrestling entertainment organization not the animal rescue group.

This year has some interesting trilogies of games coming back. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Rocket Knight Adventures and now Gex too. Gex is more light hearted but nearly comes off as an early teen game. Very true with Gex 3 with Agent Xtra. Gex is sorta Earthworm Jim that actually makes sense. Can anyone explain anything Earthworm Jim?

Gex Trilogy is going to bring older fans back. Likely get a lot of newer fans. Game development changed a lot in a few decades. Back then, it was more about quality over quantity. Not to say it's so much quantity it's terrible recently. But the amount of DLCs for a lot of games is rather ridiculous. You are buying this with nothing additional is a good thing.

I can't wait to see what the additional stuff included going to be. If I had to make a few guesses what to expect though. A music player section would be nice. A picture section to see a lot of artwork including what almost made it into the games. We also could get cut scenes player too. There isn't many cut scenes though.

There's a chance magazine ads we as well as other related Gex videos could be included. I do think bringing Gex back now is perfect. Any longer, he's not coming back maybe that's how I see it. I do like each Gex game does several things differently. This should be a love letter to the fans. Especially people that waited this long for Gex's return, you are the true hardcore Gex fans.

I felt the world finally ready for Gex. A lot of people forget how creative the 90s games could be at times. This could also be an entryway into the platformer genre. Gex is going to open people's eyes to possibilities. Not only that, I do hope more platformer franchises comes back. Gex Trilogy has something it never had before, a fair shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment