Friday, November 6, 2020

Jack Red reviews AVGN I & II Deluxe

Update: as of November 24, 2020 I gotten every achievement in the Steam version. A real word of advice unless you're willing to take all the punishment, you won't get every stage in all games done on perfect.

Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, as many of you know I'm a huge AVGN fan. I knew about this remastered compilation for a few years. It came out not long ago, I just gotten it on Steam last night. I just fully played through all three games. All in one setting each that's a great sign.

This is a game compilation of three games on the web show The Angry Video Game Nerd. The Angry video Game Adventures received the most changes overall. The Angry Video Game Nerd 2: ASSimilation got in my opinion necessary changes. You also get The Angry Video Game Nerd in Tower of Torment: The Final Chapter.

I already reviewed the first games previously as well as the movie. I will be linking that to help speed you up. I went from struggling to enjoy the first game to loving it. I don't know how they were able to pull that off. One particular boss got replaced altogether that I felt was very needed.

https://jackred1989.blogspot.com/2018/12/jack-red-reviews-both-avgn-games-and.html

Real quick, this is my newer version of those reviews. I hope it is up to your likening. This franchise meant so much to me ever since 2007, that's a long time. James inspired a lot of people including myself. Honestly, I am always thankful to have someone like him to look up to.

I don't recall an unicorn or a reference to one prior to the original version of that game. I am very happy we now face the Bloodstained Bears from an Halloween episode. Now this is way more like it guys. Yes I seen Mike's stream on this compilation. I'm glad he spoke up to replacing that boss.

They actually made Fred Fucks a more balanced final boss fight. Originally, it was luck if you would win. Also, I am happy they chose to revamp their own version of the character into being more like the one on the show. I didn't personally dislike their original version of the character.

Let's be honest, the new look with the lines while recreating Gilbert Gottfried's appearance genius. Speaking of him, the Nostalgia Critic got replaced with him in the sequel. Honestly, they had a feud with a few videos. But it was more of it's own thing than any of their respective works.

I was glad they tied the second game closer to the original with that change. Which also brings me to the original final boss. They chose in the newer version to remove all AVGN movie references. This directly affects two particular bosses. General Dark Onward & Death Mwauthzyx with new similar bosses taking their place.

Dark Invader is more of a reference to Star Wars' Darth Vader. It also can be seen as a reference to Back to the Future with Marty in disguise calling himself Darth Vader. Dark Invader now looks more like an Dalek from Doctor Who show. They also made great improvements to the scorpion form.

Now in Death Mwauthzyx's case, The Nerd couldn't officially win against that. Even in the AVGN movie, it is directly stated that he's more powerful than both God and the devil combined. Also his appearance had little to no real connection to what was going on in the game.

In his place, we have Fuckotron 9000 which is an ultimate computer. Whose goal is to transform the entire world into a bad game. I also liked instead of summoning smaller versions of himself, this boss spawns random enemies from the first two games. They also changed the color as well as name for the main collectibles to get into the final stages.

Originally it was called the Sexforce a sorta parody of the Triforce. Now it is replaced with the Fucks' Capacitor. For those that doesn't know this is a reference of the Flux Capacitor from Back to the Future series. Honestly, Sexforce was alright for a name. I really loved the new name lol.

The Ghosts of Christmas is changed again. Originally on his web show, two of them were played by founders of the website ScrewAttack. Handsome Tom & Stuttering Craig respectively. Not long before the original game came out, Handsome Tom was no longer with the company.

In that game he got replaced by Nervous Nick. Let's fast forward to 2020, both Nervous Nick & Stuttering Craig are no longer a part of that website. The website itself is now named after the web show Death Battle. So they had to further change two of the ghosts' appearance again.

One of the biggest changes affects all three games. On Easy & Normal, they greatly reduced the amount of death blocks. In a lot of their placements is now spiked balls. This makes going for collectibles much easier. They removed the jokes after you die to speed up spawning.

Honestly, as much I liked some of those jokes. I rather come back alive faster so they made the right call. All three games also have cartridges that spells out the word NERD. Also with the new versions of the easier difficulties comes with infinite lives. Thank you so much, you have no idea how frustrating the original was without that option.

I loved they changed the world name from Nerd Gain to Nerds VS Ninjas. The original name Nerd Gaiden is a reference to Ninja Gaiden series as well as his own Ninja Gaiden episode. The new name is a play on Bad Dues vs. DragonNinja. They also added parodies of several Godzilla monsters fighting in the background.

They also had in the beginning stage a Polybius arcade cabinet. They also changed the name Onwards and Backwards to NOOOooo. Which is a meme from the infamous Vader cry scene from Revenge of the Sith. Now to unlock the third & final game you need to beat the first two first.

I believe it could be reference Wily Tower from Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Another game I reviewed earlier this year. Which gets unlocked the same way by beating Mega Man 1-3. Just like that bonus game, it does reuse many things from the other games to help tie it together.

The Angry Video Game in Tower: Torment: The Final Chapter title is likely a play on many things. The Final Chapter likely an reference to Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter. Considering Rolfe was involved with the documentary on the franchise that wouldn't surprise me.

The long titles is another recurring jokes of his. If they continue beyond this is yet another likely joke James has done. Although, this is only four stages long. I felt it was justify enough for replay value. The achievements this time around are more fun to go for.

I been dying to talk about the final boss of the third game. This is technically two back to back boss fights. You face a parody of Bugs Bunny. Most AVGN fans would already know why this is huge. Officially three episodes, James fought Bugs Bunny. Personally to this very day, my favorite AVGN episode so happens to be Bug Bunny Crazy Castle.

A huge amount of these stages are parodying that episode as well as Dragon's Lair episode. I am happy they used the Giant Claw in place of the dragon as a joke lol. I believe Mike himself stated the stage with the truck was his idea. WOW, this stage can be unforgiving at times.

I really loved they actually went for that joke. Not to mention, on the side of that truck is one of my favorite quotes said by another character on that web show. I also loved all three games shared the same save. They removed all the cameos of web show characters.

In their place is Future Nerd who reveals stuff for the second game to his past self. I could be wrong but this could be a reference to Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Hear me out, Coco is playable in most levels due to time travel. Thus, she already knows what Crash went through in those events.

The new lines alone is what really sell this game. I would even say some of them are some of the best ever spoken anything AVGN related yet. This felt like a true AVGN collection that's a must have in your collection. They made the first two games even more connected than ever before.

The new bosses are a very welcome addition to the compilation. They done a truly amazing job with everything, I'm deeply very impressed by this. I really wish I could shake your hands for this. Honestly, you pay fifteen for this some people see it as lower would've been better.

How I see it is we got three games for five bucks each. I think the price for it is fine enough. I am glad they didn't make the soundtracks as separate purchases again. I also liked one stage in the third game involves using the screen looping. This is actually one of my favorite stages in all three games.

This packed with great content especially for fellow fans of the web show. They really out done themselves here. I still say the second one is overall my favorite. But the third one is just enough my second favorite. Despite the length being the shortest. It actually had some great jokes from start to finish.

They actually given us some refreshing stage concepts we never even consider or thought about. In that regard the bonus, third game is hands down my second favorite for those reasons. Also, the final boss alone gave it that spot as well. I will say this I highly recommend to this especially when someone desperately needs to laugh.

This is hands down one of the absolute funniest games I personally ever played. I really can not fully explain how I truly felt about neither could do it enough justice on myself. This compilation is very faithful to the source material more than you're expecting it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment