Monday, August 3, 2026

My thoughts on Netflix's Devil May Cry show

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I recently gotten into the newer Devil May Cry show that's on Netflix. This won't be an review with the actual one coming in the near future. I just wanna share my thoughts as a huge Devil May Cry fan. I'm going to be honest, I don't plan to sugar coat anything here. I am deeply disappointed in a way I never imagine was actually possible!!!

Unlike the original anime based on the video game franchise. This is a rather loose adaptation that goes all over the place. If you're expecting the events to line up like in the video game series you'll be disappointed. In fact, it was confirmed the writer never played the actual Capcom games!!! This is becoming a growing trend among video game adaptations.

If that doesn't tell you what creek you're in. Don't worry I got a lot more to say to possibly convince you. To not watch this Devil May Cry show. This is set in it's own universe with many notable changes. Like Lady became a member of a task force taking on demons. They also changed one of her eye colors for some reason.

Originally she had a red and blue eye. Now she has blue and golden eye is a bit weird. They also changed how some stuff you expect an handful of characters to have eventually get on the show. Dante's voice over was actually his nephew Nero's in two of the Devil May Cry games. As much I respect Johnny Yong Bosch, he wasn't a great Dante.

For me, it's just like having Keanu Reeves play John Constantine in a movie. Yes I know he's reprising a role in another Constantine movie. Some of the characters just felt miscast. You barely seen pizza near Dante in this show is mind blowing to me!!! A couple famous boss monsters do show up. Some having rather questionable portrayals I couldn't get behind of.

I'm happy the upcoming Season 3 going to be the final season of the show. I'm going to say what I previously thought was impossible to do. Prior to this DMC show, I felt Devil May Cry 2 was the bottom of the barrel. Out of no where it gotten dethroned by this show. I haven't even mention the music selection is quite random at times!!!

I'll be more direct, a lot of songs used. Actually felt more like AMVs you find all over websites like YouTube. I am quite serious the way some of these songs were used was just like that. I even notice a few rare times the music was a little too loud to properly hear the voice overs. Now that's a sign of someone not checking the audio before finishing an season.

From my understanding streaming shows has more actual time to have episodes worked on. In comparison to the same process for making episodes to be broadcast on television being notably less. The original anime that had strict amount of episodes limit absolutely nailed that!!! Now that was originally broadcasted on television in a few months what's their excuse?

The kind of loose adaptation is what you usually expect from movies based on manga/anime franchises. Somehow it's even worst than those is rather sad!!! It's difficult to say what I possibly could've liked about the artwork. A major factor is how everything else was done heavily impacts that. Season 1 had the most unexpected story not actually pulled from the games or original anime.

I'll try to not reveal anything too major here. But I'm dying to rip a lot of it apart in the near future. This felt like they didn't barely understand what exactly is Devil May Cry. It's difficult to imagine in a way that somehow made DMC2 a little better. But a little better isn't saying much at all. I highly don't recommend either of those myself.

Here's a show that doesn't properly respect the source material neither the actual fans for that matter. Look I get there's a notable percentage of people that surprisingly enjoy this DMC show. But I also gotta question many aspects of your lifes!!! This DMC show has a questionable pacing situation. There's times it goes slower when they don't need to.

There's also times it's goes a little too fast to keep up. Sometimes there's a few possible things you aren't sure to keep an eye on. Like the first episode of Season 2 at a point being a good example. Dante's personality isn't even what it's suppose to be like from the actual DMC games. It's a bit more interesting than DMC2's personality.

Again that's barely saying anything at all. It's a similar situation with Dead Rising 4's Frank West. Sure changing out voice overs does affect things to a degree. What I actually heading towards was that's not the character we know and love. I easily could say the same about Dante on that DMC show. Even the original DMC anime nailed his personality way better!!!

I would even go as far to say DmC reboot game is notably better than this. Not only that, the actual stories being told was a bit too predictable to a degree. At times, I actually felt this was more like an Doom show. Which so happens to also involve demons as well as portals going between a few plains of existence.

If there was a Doom show then it would've gotten a bit of praise. But no this is meant to be an Devil May Cry show. You know at times, Dante going to do these crazy tricks. Honestly, the action isn't necessary bad just needed to be redone. The actual animation is a bit questionable. But I actually was talking about how parts of the fights were written.

In all honestly, kinda felt a bit uninspired at times. Where's the excitement like in the actual DMC games? Where's any actual creativity even among the little moments? I felt a lot of characters were poorly handled. Vice President was a bit too similar to Resident Evil's Albert Wesker. Considering in one of the live action Resident Evil movies he was the president.

Yeah not a great direction to go in. The actual President of the United States was like The Simpsons' rich guy that fires his guns while being excited. He actually does do something like that on the show. Parts of this show strangely reminded me just now another classic anime I absolutely loved!!! Blood+ that also heavily involved the protagonist with armed personal against the supernatural.

In this case I'm talking about vampires that actually is among the different demon breeds. You know what I felt like I just insulted it by comparing the two. Blood+ is way better in most aspects. Even for an alternative version of an anime. Honestly, I couldn't help to keep noticing humanity ended up being a little worst than the actual demons.

Let's just say there's a particular moment I really didn't like. A lot of innocent people taken out in such unpleasant ways. This show felt like they wanted to make something amazing. Instead what they actually made was an abomination of the franchise. This seems like a random kid concept done horribly wrong!!!

Season 1 felt like a big filler to the rest of the story. I personally wish they didn't focus this much on Lady. In fact, I was fine how little they did in the original anime. But I still would be open to any of the other supporting characters getting a game or their own show. Chances are those would've also been better than this DMC show.

You can tell they just don't know how to make a story. Maybe what it could've been is trying to line every major event more directly together. But all that does is rush all of that together in a huge mess. Oh wait that's this DMC show in a nut shell. More like a particular boss rush in DMC2!!! I even felt that boss rush was slightly better executed.

I am going to be brutally honest, I really do not like this DMC show at all. Sure as love who absolutely enjoys some blood & gore to a degree. Some of those was fine for my liking. But it wouldn't be enough to keep bringing me back to rewatch those moments either. I really hope Behaviour doesn't focus an Devil May Cry crossover on this DMC show or it'll be doom to fail.

To me, this felt more like how Mortal Kombat 1 changed parts of the story. But for DMC in a similar matter I just didn't care for at all. This DMC show is among the most disappointing based on anything shows I ever seen!!! Which is really saying a lot with the stuff I seen!!! In all honestly, it is best you forget this ever existed.

I wanna find a scary huge boulder to crawl underneath!!! I'll only come out occasionally like Patrick Star. I am kidding I wouldn't put that much effort to go that far. But I still do wanna say this show is a huge insult to everything the franchise stands for!!! I really can't wait until this DMC show ends up myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment