Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Death Note (2017) review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I will confess there's a few adaptations of a couple franchises I avoided for years. Out of the blue I decided to watch one on that list tonight. I had a few friends warned me it's a terrible movie. The movie in question is Netflix's Death Note movie. Recently I talked mostly about the manga series and it's anime adaptation.

Which are highly recommended compared to this being the exact opposite. I highly recommend you avoid this abomination!!! Yes I planned to rip this adaptation of Death Note to pieces. I think fellow Death Note fans might enjoy my review notably better than the actual movie. Supposedly a sequel is in the works I hope it gets canceled!!!

Death Note (2017)

This is a rather loose adaptation on the franchise. Keep in mind, this is an American remake. The basic stuff you expect was altered to better fit the American audience. Yes this now takes place within the United States. I got to be honest, I didn't like how any of the characters were portrayed. Especially Light being a massive disappointment.

Yes some select stuff sticks like his father still an detective. This also started while he's in high school. Yes Light still found the death note that ended up meeting Ryuk. A rather questionable change is Ryu no longer an shinigami. Yes folks you heard me correctly you wanna know which species he is now? They changed him into a demon was something I didn't even considered.

Light is not that bright compared to the original Japanese version. L now an African American rather than a British man. Which also was a bit questionable choice. Watari's appearance was alright with a rather lackluster usage of the character. Yes Light's dad is still heavily involved while at odds with L. Misa was altered into Mia whose a girl in Light's school.

They also made some questionable changes to how the death note works. In the actual story, this book as long it's possible can kill people other than the default death being an heart attack. They changed it to whoever name is written in the book must die by something physical. Basically this is a poor man's Final Destination movie in a nut shell.

I do agree the movie when L shows up starts to go a little too fast. They tried to make Light look smart he came off like a desperate stupid teen. Mia was more of a obsessive of the book to the point. She actually chose the book over Light that led to her demise. The two actually loved each other in this version. Originally Light didn't love her at all but pretended to in order to manipulate her.

L wasn't even that emotional in the actual story. At one point, he steals a police car to purse Light. Ryuk being voiced by a great actor was the one thing I actually liked. Even Ryuk himself wasn't used well either. Even parts of his appearance was notably to a degree. The movie treated him as if he was the devil.

We even had Light looking him up in a book. The actual kills are mostly brutal expect a lot of blood. We get to the point L would've cleared Light before he dies. If you wanna try figuring out exactly where in the story they stopped at. Obviously, they aren't going to do that here. L really wants to take Light in for these murders.

Yes the part with multiple detectives gets killed off. L taunted Light publicly to get under his skin. Yes there are followers of Kira in this version. Although it's questionable how some of them found out Light was Kira. Light also used the book to manipulate a few criminals to survive what Mia wrote to kill him. Which does bag a lot of questions indeed.

This is somehow less Death Note than Godzilla (1998 film) was Godzilla!!! You know that's a bad sign I used another poor transition from Japan to America movie as an example. I also felt the movie is a little long for it's story. I was surprised L didn't die despite things. You barely get to see his real name in the movie.

What's also strange is another shinigami originally was in the story for Misa. Her name was Rem not in this version at all!!! Mia stolen a page from the book to kill some detectives. Somehow this didn't register an ownership of the book situation. It is possible in the original story to write people's names down on a small piece of a page.

They literately stolen a page from that book. No she never made the deal for the shinigami eyes. L gets very unpleasant with Light in a few scenes. Don't go in expecting the classic cat & mouse. Instead you get the famous they already know you're the killer angle. It's a very predictable adaptation that doesn't live up to it's legacy.

Death Note actually had some clever written out arcs in the manga series. What you ended up with here is a movie that really doesn't understand what the franchise truly is!!! The entire movie felt like a rather uninspired, pale imitation of an adaptation. The overall vibe is notably off from what it's suppose to be like.

I know what some people are thinking. This is what you should've expect from most live action movie adaptations of anime franchises. I did expect that but what I wasn't expecting though? Death Note ended up being a very generic, empty shell of it's full potential. They better not adapt Mello or I'm going to be even more upset!!!

It's a real shame this truly was the best they could come up with!!! I may not much of it's production prior going in. What I do know is this felt notably rushed out. Like if they take too long or any other reason to lose a franchise. Someone else would end up getting that opportunity. In all honestly, this movie wasn't worth watching!!!

I was notably happier to previously not seen this Death Note movie. But now I have I could confirm it's an insult to the franchise as well as to it's fans!!! You won't get greatness instead you actually get a great reason to wanna go blind or something to make you pass out. As someone who truly loved the original story.

It's a bit embarrassing The Simpsons out done this Death Note movie. From what I recalled of the first three live action Death Note movies are way better. Yes that would include the spin off L movie. I strongly felt nearly the entire cast was notably miscast. Whoever wrote this doesn't properly understand the story.

This felt like a few changes ended up ruining a master piece. The changes weren't small to begin with. This doesn't even nail the feeling of a proper Death Note adaptation. Which is highly disappointing in itself. This book is among the scariest objects you write in I ever seen in any franchise. Somehow this book was made into a bit of a joke!!!

The entire movie would've been avoided if Light never picked up that book or let Mia in on that. Which further ended up making things worst. Light also could've turn himself in early before things gotten worst. I know some of that would've been a bit boring to people. But did you expect much prior going into this Death Note movie?

This movie is among my least favorite for live action movie adaptation of an anime franchise. Thankfully it's not nearly as bad as Dragon Ball Evolution. Yet I felt an handful of things I could find short lived enjoyment in comparison. Let's be honest, neither followed the source material well. I will say this Death Note movie is a disaster.

The only other good thing I could think. Even more so then it ends is don't watch it at all!!! Now some might view that being a bit harsh it kinda isn't though. This Death Note movie disappoints even if you're new to the franchise. Honestly, I love the idea pretending this movie doesn't exist. I hope some who felt the same way I do may end up doing the same!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment