All I can promise is to attempt simplifying things. Two of them are anime movies that's similar quality to their respective anime shows. I will say the live action movies are not that bad honestly. Of course I do recommend reading the manga series. Both anime shows are decent that differs enough for a notably different experience.
This is covering a little over fifteen years. Even the worst among these Fullmetal Alchemist movies isn't that bad. I still could see people enjoying that FMA movie to a degree. You get to see three different takes across five FMA movies. Which by itself makes watching them all quite an unique experience. I will start with the oldest FMA movies working my way to the two newest FMA movies respectively.
1. Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa (2005)
This is essentially the true conclusion to the first Fullmetal Alchemist show. A notable amount takes place in a parallel universe that doesn't have alchemy. The actual factor into why is a bit disturbing. Envy was revealed to being a key to open up an universal portal. Alphonse in his human body looks a bit similar to his brother Edward.
They also revealed their dad's demise since he no longer can transfer his soul into another body. This was due to previously doing it on someone from a parallel universe. Effectively being trapped with a faster decaying process meaning his time was quickly running out. You also see several alternate universe counterparts to several characters of their universe.
Unfortunately Wrath doesn't survive following a fight with Gluttony. It's safe to say now none of the homunculus survived the story. This is more of a war movie with some characters caught between a war. One of the armies was planning to invade the other universe. Thankfully that doesn't happen just imagine how bad things could've gotten though?
For a first movie of the franchise it's a decent start. It's not my favorite Fullmetal Alchemist movie. But it's among my favorites for sure. I did like the idea of making an ending to more properly conclude the story. During the production of the final episode, they actually rant out of time. There's a notable gap with Dante and Gluttony that didn't get resolved.
The final episode had a few unanswered questions. But that's why this FMA movie was necessary in the first place. Honestly, it's a decent length with good pacing. It does sucks Colonel Mustang was forced to stay in that parallel universe. This was done to properly close the portal on their side. Which means someone was forced to stay behind.
It turns out the reason why there's no alchemy is strongly tied to the wars they have in that universe. The more deaths in their wars, the greater of alchemy usage becomes in the other universe. Indirectly playing off how a philosopher's stone is made. But their deaths fueled alchemy is such a weird yet unique concept.
I also liked they took all the time they needed to properly make this FMA movie. Not even sure if anyone expected this movie to happen or what myself? I know some people wished that missing, cut footage of a particular encounter to get shown. This was their answer to questions like that I respected. Indirectly I'm thankfully for that getting cut the way it did otherwise this movie wouldn't exist!!!
Thankfully the way this FMA movie was set up. You don't actually have to watch the show prior. But to better understand a few things I recommend watching it first. I would say you won't get the full experience if you don't watch both of them. The movie does deliver a satisfying conclusion. No question it's a must watch if you're a fellow FMA fan.
2. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011)
A little backstory begind how this Fullmetal Alchemist movie gotten created. It wasn't originally planned, early in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood show's production. They quickly gotten some ideas to make a FMA movie. Which isn't canon to clarify like so many anime movies. But it was a rather decent FMA movie.
The brothers meets a woman whose trying to find her brother. Which has a few surprising twists to that. For example, another man stolen his appearance. We're trying what he actually looks like without shape shifting like Envy. The actual brother was commanding an army. Both these men virtually wanted the same object for power.
There's some amazing visuals in this movie. Some great usage of the characters with some great moments. The only FMA movie without the homunculi. Which proves they could make a great story without them. Honestly, some of the newer characters that's exclusive to the movie works better than expected.
I know we all have different taste in things. I felt this FMA movie was beautifully executed that's mind blowing!!! You get a lot of surprises on the way that differs between being good or bad. They literately gave this movie everything they had despite things. None of it remotely felt rushed in any possible way. Being an non canon FMA movie means you can jump straight into watching it.
Trust me, this won't affect anything major. You might even enjoy it a bit more if you don't know enough of the franchise. To be honest, the way this FMA movie plays out is a little expected. The concept of anime movies being non canon is common. I do occasionally like some concepts they might not do in the actual stories shows up here.
To spice things up in ways you couldn't imagine!!! A major factor is they wanna get a few movies made. It's better to go into a more unexpected direction that involves not following the manga stories. Sometimes people gets surprisingly creative with anime movies like this one. I do think this FMA movie is a must watch especially if you're a fan of the franchise.
I will be honest, I haven't seen this FMA movie in a good while. There's a lot of stuff going on within the movie to keep track of everything. The movie constantly swaps between a few character's point of view. I will give the team credit this was beautifully animated. Somehow it seem even crazier than the previous FMA movie despite no universal crossing.
This also takes place in a different country. Not from anything else FMA related either. You kinda felt bad for the lady with everything. The Elrics gets heavily involve trying to stop both men. No I'm not trying to say the movie trying too hard either. You can tell they didn't rush the actual story. Despite at the time making a lot of episodes for that FMA show.
Alphonse's soul still bonded to a suit of armor. Just knowing a few things could take. If it were canon, this would've happened earlier in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I also felt they done a good job with the length of the movie. To me, this felt like the perfect FMA movie. Honestly, I was quite impressed after I watched this FMA movie.
I do like it's more of it's own thing. Nothing could've affected the canon story. This also allowed the team to be more creative. Just like the first Fullmetal Alchemist show. Following when it became more of it's own story following many chapters they adapted into the show. They went in with a rather unique concept that turned into a movie.
For being an unplanned FMA movie it does live up to many aspects people loves. This is a dark FMA story with a light decent ending. This was surprisingly ambitious for an anime movie. Somehow we ended up with a great FMA movie despite the additional challenge it faced. I'm glad they went for this FMA movie possibly making the author proud!!!
3. Fullmetal Alchemist live action movie trilogy (2017-2022)
1. Fullmetal Alchemist (2017 film)
2. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Revenge of Scar (2022)
3. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Final Alchemy (2022)
I figured these movies in the same movie trilogy. Unless I specify otherwise, a large amount of what I'm going to say going to apply to the movies. This also speeds up reviewing all three of them. I still wanna point out particular things in the movies. Like two of them has mannequin soldiers. Which are artificial beings based on the homunculus.
The first actual usage threw me off. Which was near the end of the first live action FMA movie. All of them together fully covers the entire manga series. Some events happened either sooner or later. Some moments were notably sped up including ones people died. I will give them some credit though. All three of them stayed much closer to the manga series than expected.
I know some people could argue particular traits of a few characters not quite nailed. Then again why would you expect that for live action movies based on anime franchises in the first place? People always going to be funny even about the little things. No matter how they went about it someone always upset or disappointed over things.
These live long FMA movies are over two hours long each!!! I easily could've made The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit live action movies joke. I was mostly satisfied with the overall action. The actual character designs for the most part was decent. Yeah it's a little weird an handful of characters had different hair color from the manga series line Winry.
The locations all looked accurate to how they're suppose to look like. Yeah some characters with CGI is a bit weird. But I have seen worst CGI used than this. The second movie largely follows Scar that I felt was executed better than expected. The last movie was virtually what's left of the manga series. Yeah most of the homunculi dies with the possible exception of Pride.
I do have a notable criticism, the homunculi seem a bit too weak to the other versions. Thankfully it's not Michael Myers in Halloween Ends bad. But still I wish they would've made them a bit tougher except Sloth. I should point out two of these FMA movies came out a few months apart. The last FMA movie didn't seem that rushed.
Usually when you do two movies back to back. You easily see in many aspects how rushed they are from the original movie. I will also give them credit for somehow nailing that. I'm also aware the last two seasons of Squid Game was a similar situation. Yes I do plan to eventually resume the show to finish.
Just like I recently came back to finished what I started with the first live action FMA movie. I actually felt both the sequels were a bit better better honestly. You can tell the overall stories were more directly focused as well as connecting a bit better. Also no out of no place usage of a concept coughs the first live action FMA movie.
I might be crazy I actually would consider rewatching this movie trilogy. It's a massive step up from Devil May Cry show as well as Death Note movie I reviewed recently. This is more around the ball game what I might be able to recommend. Obviously the big recommendation is the live action One Piece show.
They gave a lot of care into making these Fullmetal Alchemist movies. Yeah some moments I wished were done a bit differently. A little better overall pacing could've went a long way. Yes I do agree these FMA movies when they get going like a speeding train!!! But they also do a decent job slowing down. It's not often you'll feel overwhelm while watching these movies.
Honestly, I don't think none of the FMA movies are terrible. I do agree the anime FMA movies are a little better. It's a shame most of these anime franchises doesn't get the same treatment. I will say some aspects what they done is in the right direction. Just don't go in with high expectations, these FMA movies might not live up to them.
Instead I rather you just watch them because you enjoy the story. Regardless if you read the manga series or watch anything to the franchise prior. Just try going in with an open mind with a bit lowered standards. Trust me doing that does go a long way. Honestly, these FMA live action movies were inspiring to me.
Ranking of the Fullmetal Alchemist movies down below...
5. Fullmetal Alchemist (2017)
4. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Revenge of Scar (2022)
3. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Final Alchemy (2022)
2. Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa (2005)
1. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011)
I hope you enjoy reading my five Fullmetal Alchemist movie reviews blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment