Monday, August 3, 2026

Addams Family Reunion (1998) review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I previously discussed Addams Family Reunion a couple years ago. I finally set back to fully watch this Addams Family movie the proper way. Honestly, I prefer the direction the franchise heading in with Wednesday show. But people forget the 90s was a busy decade for the franchise.

I don't plan to review everything from that decade. I did want to give more direct thoughts on this particular Addams Family movie. What's a better way of doing just that then by reviewing it? This is currently the worst reviewed Addams Family movie. This is among the common knowledge people had of the movie before reading my review.

Addams Family Reunion (1998)

Despite the title, this has no connection to the other two 90s Addams Family movies. Some may remember a company called Saban. At the time, they were making American adaptations of a few Japanese superhero show franchises. Mostly being Power Rangers for a few decades. This also was the decade Saban made Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation!!!

Easily among their worst from what I seen. There was a period they made a few Addams Family stuff. It actually started with this Addams Family movie. Originally they planned to use that to tie into a show called The New Addams Family. Unfortunately that was a trend people started to get tired of prior to that show.

This also not to be confused with the 90s cartoon show called The Addams Family. Which I partly remembered growing up watching. Obviously the better 90s Addams Family show. I should point out two actors from the other 90s Addams Family movies reprised their roles. In a weird way, Christopher Hart through one of his hands as Thing.

Carel Struycken was the famous butler, Lurch. I hate to say this but neither actor was used well here. In fact, universally the one actor that truly stands out is Tim Curry. Who plays Gomez Addams, I ended up liking his take on the character. The rest of the family including Cousin Itt just doesn't stand out well. Especially Fester whose was overacting a bit too distracting.

Fester also altered a small dog that transforms over a command. The transformed form looks incredibly CGI that horribly aged!!! The actual pilot is just horribly done. The family becomes worried for their grandparents excluding Grandma Addams, the witch one. They get an ideas to take them to a retirement home that's sorta a resort.

A company being backed up on printing out people's family trees. By accident swapped the directions between two similar last named families you can see where this is going right? The short version is they met up with a different family who has one d in their last names. They also planned to murder an old relative for money.

Considering they were heavily aimed for a younger audience in majority of their shows. This pilot was a bit too much for that audience. Thankfully they don't actually kill anyone? There's the weird nuke scene that happened by accident. Most actual things that would've killed someone failed. I wouldn't be surprised that family survived the nuclear explosion.

Also why would Pugsley take such an explosive with him in the first place? I also should mention a young couple gets stuck at the Addams Mansion. They were stuck with Grandma Addams and Cousin Itt respectively. Yes they barely do anything with Cousin Itt is a huge disappointment. Somehow they done better with the monsters on Beetleborgs show.

No I'm not talking about the actual enemy monsters they faced on the show. The kids that often visits an phantom named Flabber, Jay Leno much? He's in an abandoned house with more classic horror movie style monsters. I know some might view that being generic even back then. But they actually played it a bit safer with the Addams Family I'm not kidding.

They do give the Addams kids a lot of screen time. I kinda felt Pugsley more like how the character suppose to be. I actually felt a bit disappointed by how Wednesday herself was portrayed in comparison. They do some crazy stuff it just doesn't come off entertaining. It kinda felt like they had to something while trying to act excited when they really aren't.

Yeah don't go in comparing this to the other 90s Addams Family movies. You will be very disappointed indeed maybe need a strong drink afterwards. The actual antagonist characters aren't likeable. They are mostly forgettable at their best. Even a smaller role with Clint Howard doesn't do much either. I preferred him in a movie called Ice Cream Man not a joke.

There was one character I did sorta liked to a degree. The grandfather that was targeted to be murdered by his own Adams family. He goes out of his way to help Gomez get his family back together. He also cut ties with his own family before riding off. I just wish they would've done a little more with him. Maybe more of that with a little less of Fester could've went a long way.

Yes I know Fester is my favorite Addams Family character. Speaking from experience being into so many franchises over the years. I have many favorite characters across many franchises. But I also don't have to like every single version of a character. Now that would be impossible on a daily basis to do. I just didn't care for how the character was portrayed in this Addams Family movie.

The actual pacing is rather inconstant. When the movie is slower it's rather boring. When the movie is faster you might miss something that's all. To be brutally honest, there's little to nothing that's actually interesting. Yes not even the legendary Tim Curry could save this Addams Family movie. Without question throw this one in a grave then pile up the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment