Sunday, October 25, 2020

Why I see Dead Rising series as a spiritual successor to Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

 Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, before I get to today's topic. I want to give a quick shout to Tuned-Out Games for making their own spiritual successor to ZAMN calledd Demons Ate My Neighbors!. I want to give them as much support I can possibly give. Even if I'm not able to give em money.

Now, I been thinking on and off for years. How there isn't many games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Honestly, for years that game left a major impact on me. It was truly puzzling me until I play Dead Rising on Xbox 360. I quickly became a huge fan of that franchise. Despite none of the developers on all Dead Rising teams never worked on ZAMN or it's sequel Ghoul Patrol.

This is a different usage of the term spiritual successor. Where these games are strikingly similar in many ways. Now I know I previously covered this in another blog. But this is going to be more of an in-depth point of view. I really got my hands full alone on what to talk about. I think the easiest part is what both franchises has in common.

https://jackred1989.blogspot.com/2019/10/how-similar-is-capcoms-dead-rising-to.html


Same

+Both have malls, cemeteries and neighbor hoods

+Both have water guns, fire extinguisher, weed whacker, rocket launchers, soda cans, tomatoes, popsicles, dishes, silverware, footballs and flamethrowers as weapons

+Both have zombies & chainsaw wielding maniacs

+Both have strict usage of your inventory

+Both have stuff to drink for different effects within a short period of time

+Both involve rescuing people from enemies

+Both do allow exploring around locations

+Both are comical horror games at their core

+Both can be played coop

+Both can be beaten within a few hours


Different

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

+There's no save feature

+When continuing from a password, you start off like a new game

+More variety of enemies

+It's broken up into a lot of stages including bonus ones

+In some stages, tourists can become werewolves if you don't get to em in time

+There's a credit stage where you meet the team behind the team

+You need to rescue at least one person or it's game over

+There isn't as many health items

+More strict on locked doors

+Two kids taking on these creatures

+A notably high difficulty

+Among rescuing people, they'll leave without harm

+Little to no story & let's pretend Ghoul Patrol doesn't exist lol


Dead Rising series

+A save feature

+You can continue after failing story missions or restart while keeping several things

+A leveling system

+More variety of psychopaths

+Some survivors require things before you can save them

+In most Dead Rising games, you need em to the safe house

+A handful of Dead Rising games, following their rescue they will leave on their own

+More actual boss fights

+Way more health items

+More Mixed Juices than potions of ZAMN

+Easier situations to unlocking areas

+A more fair difficulty

+You can change your outfit with so many options to choose from

+You can drive a couple vehicles

+Way more overall weapons

+There's multiple endings

+Rescuing people isn't mandatory

+Most games has a big time limit to get them done

+Some Dead Rising games has mini games you can play

+There's a story mode for every Dead Rising game

+In canon, more playable characters

+More modes to play

+Weapons can become combo or super combo weapons

+Vehicles can become combo vehicles

+Bigger maps

+Way more enemies on screen at least


Funny enough, both franchises died after a particular game. Ghoul Patrol & Dead Rising 4 respectively on a lot of the same reasons. Another interesting piece of trivia is due to ZAMN being on Virtual Console for Nintendo Wii. It is technically the only platform officially to have both franchises present.

The humor is mostly within the game play itself. Dead Rising 3 fully went nuts with a particular dlc tribute to all things Capcom. There's also Dead Rising 4 with Capcom Heroes mode. Which is virtually the campaign without the Exosuits. Trust me, this is the best version of the campaign by far.

To me, it felt like Dead Rising series was meant to continue the legacy ZAMN started. No one else had the balls to do prior to that. I do praise Tuned-Out Games for their DAMN!, hopefully next year or so it'll be out. Honestly, this franchise was a major breath of fresh air to me. I am not saying DAMN! got major shoes to fill here.

I am just saying Dead Rising series is the closest thing we possibly ever gotten to ZAMN. Even more so than Hercs' Adventures which had the original ZAMN team. Dead Rising gotten three different movies too. Two of which are part of the game canon. Thus taking a page from Resident Evil series, yes both of them are Capcom survival horror franchises I know.

The very essence of what ZAMN so great does live on within Dead Rising series. Even as much to it's very core. Dead Rising series has it's fair share of it's ups & downs. Every franchise has those otherwise something's not right here. ZAMN is still one of the most recommended games to play on Halloween to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment