Friday, June 7, 2019

Do I like The Trapper or not? (Dead by Daylight)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I been debating with myself if I like or dislike The Trapper. This guy has a lot of pros well as cons making it difficult to determine for sure. Although he was one of three original killers, he was the only killer playable in the original beta. The Trapper is said to be one of the easiest killers to learn but one of the trickiest to get Adept Killer achievements for.


The Trapper as his name suggests specializes in placing bear traps. Sometimes how well you place them can determine if one survivor or more might die in any match. Clearly this is his best ability since you could screw over a group of survivors with ease. However there's a lot of problems that really hurts this characters.

Before I start on that, no I am not using "Oh he's a rip off of Jason" argument. Obviously there's several clear differences. Even with the similarities like the case of both chainsaw killers in this game. To clarify another wrong piece of information about Jason. He only used one bear trap in the remake.

Jason usually flat out kills people therefore doesn't rely on traps. Oh ok now that's out of the way back on topic. Survivors have a few ways of escaping or avoiding your bear traps regardless of which add ons you're using. I will make sure to list them all below here. Also I recommend get use to placing traps in the long run fast.

1. Another survivor can rescue them
2. They can escape it themselves
3. Sometimes The Trapper gets stunned by simply walking into one of his own traps
4. Body blocking (very annoying survivor strategy)
5. Placing traps at too obvious spots
6. Sometimes the controls could get in the way of it
7. One particular add on reduces damage done to trapped survivors

Thankfully in terms of stalking, for the most part yeah he is a little slower than some killers. But also like some of them has a longer close attack range. You can use your traps to prevent loop strategies if used the correct way. Also by default, The Trapper takes a few seconds to set one trap. Yes you can get that reduced greatly.

There even exists a ultra rare add on that automatically resets your traps every thirty seconds. Now this by itself can be frustrating for even survivors trying to limit you capturing them. Especially the ones constantly taking down hooks. Over time, the hooks will come back. The Trapper does have some interesting costumes but I'm not too crazy about them.

I will say his map is a great starter map. It's just the right size to start learning how to play the game on. Of course, every few months stuff gets added. Thus increasing the amount of everything characters as well as maps. There are a few maps, The Trapper can't rely on setting traps. Instead you go straight to stalking them.

The Trapper does have some good perks but to be honest some killers has better versions. Well oh okay he does have one for increasing his strength while carrying survivors. But his other two pwerks fails in comparison to something like Pop Goes the Weasel. I do recommend him as one of the first killers to play as.

Personally I do prefer using The Hillbilly unless you got some dlc characters. I also would recommend getting Leatherface. Those three killers are great for starting out the game with. The Trapper maybe a flawed killer but he is far from sucking very bad in my opinion. For one thing, this guy was the precursor to characters like The Hag & The Pig.

Whom both characters uses their own traps. Honestly I do think both of them as much I don't like The Pig is more fun to play than The Trapper. I think they had the balls to start off with a character like this. Sure there's a few add ons to make your bear traps darker to make it harder for survivors to see. But for me, it led to some lackluster defeats so I don't recommend using those.

Overall, The Trapper isn't a character I could say I love or hate. I would say he is for sure right in the middle. He does have some major problems preventing him from being up higher. At the same time, some killer's flaws are worse in comparison. He does get a lot of respect from the fan base, a lot of people even has him as their favorite killer I'm not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment