Friday, August 24, 2018

Why I Don't Like Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I already made a few comparison blogs between DC's Injustice 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. It is no secret that Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite really dropped the ball. I really felt like they rushed the game out before the deals for which company owns X-Men and The Fantastic Four movies.

Some may consider this a review personally it is more of explaining how disappointed I was playing this. I already know many people felt the same exact way I did.


Wolverine has been in every Marvel vs. Capcom games including the two precursor games that led to it. Honestly I am sorta alright with that but there's still many X-Men characters that haven't been in this series. The character roster is more disappointing than Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter's I'm not kidding.

In that regard, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter had a more interesting selection. Hell it had hidden characters despite most of them being alternate versions of several characters. One interesting fact in Sega Saturn port there is an exclusive joke character based on a member of the team. I grew up with this franchise similar to how a lot of people did back in the day.

Believe it or not, the first entry I played was Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter at an arcade during a vacation as a kid. A few years later, I got to play X-Men vs. Street Fighter on PlayStation 1. Yes I know not the best port but I never had a Saturn to this day. I kept hearing how good all Saturn ports of that franchise was.

Shortly after getting Sega Dreamcast I got both Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2. Not the same day but I did play a lot of both games. I also got to play Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins that had Marvel vs. Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes. It is kinda sad Capcom already made two excellent games based on that comic arc but ruined it with this game.

Just in case you are wondering what two games I'm referring to. Marvel Super Heroes not to be confused with games of the same name in the arcade and Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems. Oddly enough Capcom has developed all three of those games. Which meant they should've knock this out of the park.

Considering this is technically Marvel vs. Capcom 4 but actually sixth entry. I mean come on Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 remastered was way better than this. Also after few games they up the number of fighters on screen battling the screen at the same screen. Guess what they felt three on three or higher was too much.

They ended up going back two on two matches. Seriously a lot of people are disappointed in that. There is a story mode but in a way it sorta ruined the magic of this franchise. Before this, it was never clear how both multiverses are connected making these games possible. I felt in a weird way it allowed people to come up with interesting scenarios of what could've happen.

To me, they rushed explaining how it is possible. I am just going to say it the story mode was boring, repetitive and at times cheap. They didn't allow you to change things up by altering their selection of characters or which team late in the story mode you want to be in any order. Really Capcom by not doing either of those took too much appeal out of it.

I don't even need to say DC's Injustice 2 wiped the floor with it. The artwork wasn't exciting to look at. Why was it so necessary even it indirectly made the game much bigger in size than it needed to be. They easily could've hold back a lot of that to focus on other things. By the way for arcade mode there is no ending.

In Marvel vs. Capcom 2's case yes it had one ending during ending credits but at least it acted as a proper conclusion. Also most DLC costumes aren't well selected at all. In fact they're just as boring as their selection of DLC characters I'm not kidding. The final boss is horribly unbalanced in many ways.

Ultron Sigma for the most part is fine but he ends up being a little easier than many bosses in previous entries. Ultron Omega is easily the worst final boss of the franchise. A lot of his moves can be avoided. He sure spent a lot of time blocking your team's attacks. Basically he is almost like Azazel from Tekken 6 without the barrier.

This game felt more like a generic cash in product than a true entry of this amazing crossover franchise. The actual ending to story mode just leaves you feeling unsatisfied. I don't like how they brought the gems into the fighting system. Especially after playing Marvel Super Heroes that nailed using the gems way better.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite isn't a good title either. Sure on one hand it likely referring to the Infinity Gems. But usually a lot of people would see it as going beyond what most of us expected. More levels, more characters, more hyper combos and character endings. Most Marvel fans could've been happy for years to come.

Not even the voice acting helps yes there is actual voice acting in this game. Can I be honest not many of their voices works for this game. I am not kidding Morrigan in particular I know should represent her heritage but it just felt awkward how they did it. I had more fun watching Man-Thing movie & you know that sucks too.

You would think after both versions of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, they could've do much better than this. It is a real shame this game was rushed out the way it was. Only if they held back on the drawing & delay the game longer after the final deals are done. We could've had a lot of much needed dlcs coming our way.

Sadly they didn't really put much thought into the actual dlcs. In fact most of it's competitors even the worst dlc among what they were selling was way better than this. Now isn't that just palm sad that Capcom did this. Even the level selection in this game comes off sorta boring. Let's take it a step further I know a lot of older fans aren't crazy for Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.

I can honestly say it had a better level selection than this. Also why do we need to pay for both regular versions of Ultron & Sigma? Seriously that's just bad business guys. I felt some characters simply play better in previous entries. The newer Killer Instinct game that had three seasons worth of content was much better than this.

I hate to say it but I never been this disappointed in any Capcom game. There are a select few that came close like Devil May Cry 2 coughs crap, Resident Evil 6 and Dead Rising 4. Those games with their own flaws was much better than this. I really hope with the next entry they really step up their game or I'm done with the series.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is mostly a major step backwards. I felt Darkstalkers: Resurrection another great Capcom compilation that didn't get a lot of attention was much better. Considering some of Darkstalkers characters appears in this & aren't done right bags the question what exactly happened guys?

This game should've been a huge or at least done a little notably better than it currently had. This is a game that was robbed of it's greatness even before release. I been a fan of that franchise for a long time there is no excuse for this. This better not be the end of it or I will be piss off for years. Oh yeah you got to love those congratulations screen pictures because all it is simply wasting your time.

I rather have a fighting game that actually willing to push the limits like Injustice 2, Tekken 7 and Mortal Kombat X. All three of them are way better than this with more dlcs technically. You know it is depressing this franchise started out great through out the 90s. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 that came a couple years after Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe blew it away.

Thankfully in that case we ended up with Injustice franchise bringing many belong DC comic characters. Hell some great guest characters with the turtles being the biggest surprise. More recently a lot of fighting game franchises is bringing in guest characters to help spice things up. Too bad they never considered doing that for this.

Honestly I could go on and on for hours how disappointing this game was. But thankfully there's a lot of better fighting games I can play instead. This is simply not up for recommendations. I highly advise any Marvel fan to stay away from this game. Trust me there's plenty of great Marvel games like Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage or Spider-Man on PS1.

No comments:

Post a Comment