Tuesday, August 8, 2023

My thoughts on A Song of Ice & Dust (Saints Row)

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, today we reached the end of Saints Row reboot's road map with their final dlc expansion called A Song of Ice & Dust. A week ago, they added in the new district with other free stuff. The real question is there any life left in this game or it fully died off for good? I will say I mostly had an decent time.

A Song of Ice & Dust

You need to complete all the previous larp story missions before doing this. They added five additional larp story missions of a new story arc. Mostly taking place in the new district. Unlike The Heist and The Hazardous dlc, they use more of the actual district. Also I actually had a fun time playing most these missions.

You face an new enemy called The Frostlanders lead by The Chill Queen. I swear I didn't write this. I don't know if Batman & Robin's Mr. Freeze was the inspiration of this fraction or not. This actually had a few jokes that's funny, already a huge improvement from the previous two expansion dlcs. Your main allies gets quickly taken out.

In their place is the other fractions coming together to face The Frostlanders. Some of the unlockables I actually liked too. There's no question, they surprisingly saved the best for last. I originally went in thinking this isn't going be great. I stand corrected, this felt more what I loved about The Third to Gat Out of Hell.

The Sheriff being my favorite character added to these missions. Some of the stuff he says is pretty unexpected. This is full blown larp that's done better than the actual larp story missions. They give you some variety of surprises to make this the one dlc to play. It's not quite on the level of How the Saints Saved Christmas neither The Trouble with Clones.

Some of these missions are among my favorite story missions too. Not only that, Yetis get use to seeing em. They are boss enemies but not the only one. The Chill Queen's boss fight is notably better than the Nahualli. This might even be the best portion of the actual game. The story continues after the conclusion of the larp story missions.

A new threat, The Chill Queen seeks to claim everything under her control. I still wish Kev could've been a notable part of this. The new enemies aren't bad but they aren't Marshall annoying at least. The new stuff added is mostly decent fitting the larp theme. I really enjoyed using the Ban Hammer. Yes they actually went for that famous internet joke term.

I felt five missions was more satisfying than the three missions The Heist and The Hazardous offered. I also felt more actual fun even listening to parts of the dialogue too. I would prefer having the option to replay these story missions whenever I wanted. The new five trophies/achievements is virtually just play all the missions, you get em all.

I think my favorite mission among these was you had to earn tickets to get a particular potion. One mini game style objective is take down the coyotes. Another one was finish three laps on the track within the time limit. Which sorta reminds me of Trail Blazing activity or any related variations of it. You get more time by hitting people with your car.

If you hit the boxes, you'll lose time. Unlike those activities, you earn time during between each check point. Another one involved the Sheriff, you have to talk to everyone in this small area. You have to choose someone that killed someone else. They still let you get through if you choose wrong. If you choose anyone but who actually done it.

They will start running away simply take em out. If you guess wisely, the Sheriff directly takes that person instead. This also reminds me of Fallout series with the Raiders. Seriously, The Frostlanders do have some similarities to them maybe that's just me though. I also felt this had the most creativity in the entire game.

On the surface, this is bad for the actual game itself. But as an bigger dlc expansion it works. This alone quickly blew the previous two dlc expansions away, there's no comparison here. I already know if my wife gets to play these missions, she's going to love em. A Song of Ice & Dust might not be enough to save it from being fully labeled as a disappointment or bad game.

Sadly, I can still see people finding issues with it. Then again, a lot of people plays off finding something to target. Then they continue to complain about it's many flaws. At least, the icing on this cake was sweet. The additional lore to the larp aspect was greatly appreciated here. The story twists fits in perfectly with the humor.

Surprisingly, I wouldn't change a thing neither request to add in something else. This felt like the complete package. It's way better than Dead Rising 4 lol. I can honestly say I highly recommend this Saints Row dlc. They made sure this was going to be the best dlc so far. It came two days after my wife's birthday but she would enjoy the hell out of this too.

I would say this is technically better than the other two story dlcs in The Third. Yes one of them is mostly additional variations of some activity with a brand new one added in. There's still a story that connects them together. Gangstas in Space has some stuff in common with this. Like someone cheating to get their way to end up getting taken down.

It's true that offers more achievements/trophies in comparison to this. The Third does have a famous glitch. If you lose internet while playing, some achievements & trophies won't pop up no matter what. Although you do have the option to fully replay them. Just not like in SRIV where you can directly choose which mission.

The point is the story for that it's debatable which has the better story between these two. You deal with different flaws that ultimately affects the entire experience. I do prefer the story in A Song of Ice & Dust more. Also this offered more interesting stuff happening across five missions. To me, this was better than both those story dlcs in The Third.

I still gotta say it's more playable than the high difficulty SR2 dlc missions. I prefer to have actual fun dealing with a lot of enemies in comparison to an truly intense close to the chest missions. I don't think it's better than Enter the Dominatrix though. This had more stuff going for it despite how weird the story for that was.

A Song of Ice & Dust is fitting of it's name. Plenty of craziness happens through out these story missions. I loved they went for this awesome dragon helicopter. Also the amount of enemies, where was this in Murder Circus? This is what I originally expected in that but it never gotten this many enemies. I also felt more challenge at some parts as well.

In all honestly, the team put what they had left into this. I say they done an amazing job. Everything about it surprisingly works incredibly well. They even made the new district more interesting than it already was. More than The Heist and The Hazardous done for it's district. Also, I could see people making an extra save to fully experience this as many times they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment